Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best tablet to get for Christmas

• 18-11-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests - what is the best/newest tablet to get for christmas? Would buying one in the states be viable?

Comments

For who? A child? An adult? What is your price range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Adult - Broad price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Nexus 10 - look it up and see what you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Im trying to do the same but it is very hard to choose with such a big range out there.
    Tempted by the 10 inch size but not sure if it is too awkward to carry around. Then there are issues like having an SD slot so you could swap movies with people.
    Some cheap ones out there but hard to know how good they are and what apps they have. Some have rear and front camera, others dont. Some have HDMI slot so you can connect to TV. Then there is battery life. Id imagine a 10 inch would eat battery compared to a 7 inch. Im still undecided but am drawn towards the Nexus 7. If I could get the 16G for 190eur Id be happy. I think that would be enough for 3 or 4 movies and casual browsing.

Does the Nexus 7 have 3G and Wifi? I had a look at the N10 and Tab2 10.1 and if I am not mistaken look like they dont have 3G (i know I probably wont use that function of it a lot but it would nice to have it). From looking around at reviews the 10 inch tablets dont have great battery, would rooting and installing a different ROM resolve those issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Mc Love wrote: »
    As the thread title suggests - what is the best/newest tablet to get for christmas? Would buying one in the states be viable?
    Solpadene and Gaviscon, should cover the lot :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Im trying to do the same but it is very hard to choose with such a big range out there.
    Tempted by the 10 inch size but not sure if it is too awkward to carry around. Then there are issues like having an SD slot so you could swap movies with people.
    Some cheap ones out there but hard to know how good they are and what apps they have. Some have rear and front camera, others dont. Some have HDMI slot so you can connect to TV. Then there is battery life. Id imagine a 10 inch would eat battery compared to a 7 inch. Im still undecided but am drawn towards the Nexus 7. If I could get the 16G for 190eur Id be happy. I think that would be enough for 3 or 4 movies and casual browsing.

I've a 10" Xoom and I'll be looking at the Nexus 10 if I can figure out how to buy it in Ireland.

In relation to your points

For carrying around I use my tablet around the house and when I'm going on longish trips. For those cases it's not too bulky at all and it's replaced my laptop. The form factor means they fit into any bag and they're light enough to throw around. When I'm going to work I have my phone and I'm going to a PC so I don't bother with the tablet.

My Xoom is 32Gb. It has a card slot but I've never needed it. When travelling I just load it up with movies / books etc. I normally delete as I watch stuff so if you do the same you'll be fine.
    For swapping files Android tablets have micro USB ports. That's even handier for swapping files. Just plug into a PC and copy away. No messing about with software.
    For the cameras I've never used the rear facing camera to take a photo. I suppose it might be handy in a pinch but I feel more comfortable using my phone.
    For battery life you'll get 8 hours of average use out of it. I use mine every day and get about that out of it when using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Does the Nexus 7 have 3G and Wifi? I had a look at the N10 and Tab2 10.1 and if I am not mistaken look like they dont have 3G (i know I probably wont use that function of it a lot but it would nice to have it).

It's nice to have. It adds about €50 ->€100 to the price of the tablet and you need another SIM card from your phone supplier (at least €10 a month).

All tablets I've seen have WiFi. If you have a half decent phone you can use your phones 3G as a WiFi hotspot and your tablet can connect to that wirelessly.

So would the Nexus 10 be the best on the market at the moment? Is there anywhere offline it can be bought in the US?

After buying the Nexus 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

After buying the Nexus 7.
    Mind if I ask which one and how much?

I'm looking into a tablet for christmas aswell.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the special offer on the tab 2 7.0 on Amazon but am keeping an eye out for a good deal on the nexus 7 16GB.

I went for the 32g in car phone warehouse. 250 EUR. I am happy enough as 32g will give me heaps of storage going forward. Can throw a load of movies and stuff on it. Typing this on it. Seems v good so far. Only thing so far is that Flash is not supported. Wanted to watch a programme on rte player but couldn't. Trying to get a workaround now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

So would the Nexus 10 be the best on the market at the moment? Is there anywhere offline it can be bought in the US?

It's up there as one of the best I suppose. I've never used it though but I'd say it's pretty good and it has the highest res screen on a tablet. Best thing is it's stock android so it should get quite a few firmware updates going forward.

One of the posters on here got two, he put up a few comments about it on this page.

It's hard to get at the moment and I don't think you can buy it in a shop yet.

There were some on sale in the states earlier but sold out now, do you know someone over there to buy it for you if you're going there?

@Tigerandahalf try Skyfire browser. Supposed to support flash videos so it might work, not sure if it will handle browsing for a program though...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Anyone heard of these tablets

9.7" PIPO Max-M1 Dual Core RK3066 1.6Ghz Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Tablet PC 16GB

available from http://ipadalternative.com/high-end-tablet-pcs/122-pipo-m1-tablet-pc-rk3066-dual-core-97-inch-bluetooth-android-41-jelly-bean-16gb-1g-ram-dual-camera-white.html

Advertisement