Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bedside Audio

• 18-11-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a modern version of the "Radio Alarm Clock". Something with a small footprint which can sit on a bedside table but kicks out a decent sound. I don't mind if it has separate speakers as I can locate those either side of the bed.

The core functionality I'm looking for is:-

1. FM Radio (DAB would be a bonus)
    2. Can play CD's - I know I know but my wife has a huge collection!!
    3. Clock with a nice clear face which can be turned off/on easily to read the time. (I don't want the display illuminated beside my face when I'm trying to sleep!)
    4. Alarm function - obviously
    5. Bluetooth for streaming music/podcasts from connected devices
    6. Some sort of wi-fi connectivity might be interesting.

I could live without the CD functionality if there was a way to rip my wife's CD collection to storage on the device.

Suggestions?

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

C'mon Boardsies, over 20 viewings and no one has any suggestions???

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

If you are an Android User, this could be up your Alley, Link

Its what I use. I call it the Puck!

It mightn't be entirely suitable for your needs, though, the dock is just a kick ass bluetooth speaker with a clock and a Mini USB to charge your phone.

It looks very smart, Ms Keek is very jealous indeed.

Sound is very very good for it's size.....Its got a real rich, clear sound, and it can be turned up very loud.

It's bluetooth, so your device does not have to be connected to use it. It's great when you are on your tablet in bed also.

The dock has no FM Radio, just download TuneIn on your phone and you effectively have an internet radio, when any radio station from anywhere in the world at your fingertips. TuneIn is my preferred app because of the layout, and I like the preset options.

It doesn't have an alarm, you use your phone alarm for that. I have always used my phone. You'll be leaving your phone charging on the dock overnight anyway, so your phone alarm is amplified through the speaker anyway.

Clock face can be bright or dim, and it has a real nice halo effect nightlight around the base of the dock.

They do one for iPhone too. It's white though!

Got mine in downstairs in Arnotts, got a good chance to play around with it and listen to it in action. The sound would seriously suprise you.

Actually, anything in the Philips Fidelio range is a good option, and is fairly cheap compared to the likes of Bose and Sonos.., perhaps not the same quality. To be honest, I can only tell the difference between cheap stuff and dear stuff. When it come to expensive and premium range I can't hear much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I also like the look of this baby, (Pioneer XSMC5) not exactly bedroom locker stuff, but would look class on top of a chest of drawers!

It has a clock too. Had a play around with it in Curry's. Nice and compact, packs a punch. They do a non Bluetooth/Wifi version too, bout €100 cheaper.

Advertisement