Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD issue.

Options
  • 18-11-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with my HDD. It's not showing up on my laptop. When I connect the USB cable the laptops knows that the HDD has been plugged in. I can view the properties and have been through the troubleshooting section says there are no issues to be fixed and the driver seems to be up to date and working as it says its working properly.

Why cannot I just get into it as normal and view the files I have stored on it?

It's a 3.5" Toshiba 1TB HDD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

hard drive issues are probably the most problems posted here

if you do a search on this forum you will get many hits

first things first

what OS are u using?

does the drive spin/click make noise when u plug it in ?

how does look in the disk manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

My laptop is running windows 7

The disk is spinning.

Disk manager?

The Device function summary says:

Manufacturer: (Standard Disk Drives)
    Device Status: The device is working properly

open the run command and type diskmgmt.msc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

When I try to initialise the disk a warning comes up and says: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

what kind of data have you on the drive - is it important ?

i googled the issue and found this . you can try that and post ur results again. if it doesn't work from my limited knowledge if you want to get the data back you will have to try a recovery tool of sorts - there are many out there and many routes to take - someone else here would have a better idea what route you should take ....

whatever you do ... do NOT format the disk .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement