Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Plugs set up

• 18-11-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi

I bought home plugs the other day great piece of kit, really pleased

my current set up is

In living room I have my router and xbox 360 attach to it and also one of the home plugs,

Im my office i have my pc and ps3 attached to the other plug through a desktop switch, Had to get the plugs cause my office is out of range for the wireless signal so had to keep moving the router around the house

my question is should my xbox360 be able to pix up my pc cause there all going through the same network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭kirving

It should be able to see the PC yes, but the switch you have may be causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It should be able to see the PC yes, but the switch you have may be causing problems.

Nonsense, how would a switch cause problems? It's all one network, you should see the pc as long as it's getting an IP address from the router. A switch works at layer 2, which is why it doesn't need an IP, it just forwards directly to devices connected to it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nonsense, how would a switch cause problems? It's all one network, you should see the pc as long as it's getting an IP address from the router. A switch works at layer 2, which is why it doesn't need an IP, it just forwards directly to devices connected to it
    Not necessarily, could have different networks on the one switch

eoing1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, could have different networks on the one switch

In a living room with a desktop switch? What model is the switch? It's hardly a managed switch if it's desktop

In a living room with a desktop switch?

The point I'm making is that you can't say somethings nonsense when you dont know the set up. Its a valid point, could be the switch. Could also be permissions on the pc, whether its shared, is there a username and password.
    Loads of things

• Advertisement

The point I'm making is that you can't say somethings nonsense when you dont know the set up. Its a valid point, could be the switch.

We do know the setup, it's a desktop switch, which to me says dumb switch.

Lets try to be constructive op have you got the router set to dhcp? and checked the ip of the xbox and pc? ie you havent set them statically to an ip outside of the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Lets try to be constructive op have you got the router set to dhcp? and checked the ip of the xbox and pc? ie you havent set them statically to an ip outside of the network?

No, have a real basic knowledge with all this stuff

these are the two items i bought

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack

TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case

ON the 360 it cant pick up the pc, only want to stream downloaded items to it at the moment I just a usb stick,

At least now i know it can be done so will mess around with it, just wanted to be sure incase i was waisting my time trying

Did you turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing in Network and Sharing Centre on the PC? It's also best not to have a blank/no password, sharing works better with one. Also make sure in Network and Sharing Centre the network you are connected to is set to Home or Work and not Public

Can you ping the xbox from the pc? Do you need help doing that are are you ok?

• Advertisement

yea would like help, just heading out now but will try later, thanks for the helps lads

Sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hi Everyone.
    I have a similar setup to the Op's.
    Instead of the X box I have a Sony Blue Ray Dvd player connected to the network with a Ethernet cable.
    I can stream stuff from the internet like You Tube etc through the widgets loaded in the Dvd player.
    I can ping the Dvd player from my Pc but can't see it on the network.
    Should I be able to see stuff on my home PC which is connected wirelessly to the same network or am I restricted by the software in the Dvd player ?

Sorry if some of my questions sound stupid but my knowledge is limited.

Tony.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.
    I have a similar setup to the Op's.
    Instead of the X box I have a Sony Blue Ray Dvd player connected to the network

Tony.

Do you want to play stuff on your dvd and watch it on your pc?
    You could just map a network drive to it.
    If your win 7, go to 'computer', theres tabs that say map network drive,hit that, and a wizard will open up, hit browse and if the dvd is on the network you should be able to see it. Assign a letter and that it, should be able to play your dvds through the pc. ie you'll see your dvd player in 'computer'
    If thats not what you were asking explain a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Do you want to play stuff on your dvd and watch it on your pc?
    You could just map a network drive to it.
    If your win 7, go to 'computer', theres tabs that say map network drive,hit that, and a wizard will open up, hit browse and if the dvd is on the network you should be able to see it. Assign a letter and that it, should be able to play your dvds through the pc. ie you'll see your dvd player in 'computer'
    If thats not what you were asking explain a bit more

Something like that but the other way around.
    I want to be able to see video & photos that are on my pc's on my TV screen through the dvd player if possible.
    I reckon the software on the dvd player isn't able to do that.
    I can ping the dvd player on my pc but I can't see it.
    I might be better off using a media streamer ?

well eoin, if you can put up insturctions what to do i will give it a go,

Advertisement