Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy or Adult Dog?

• 18-11-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Our family is interested in adopting a dog and is trying to decide on what age would be best suited for us. Here is some background: we have an infant and a 3 year old. They are both used to animals. We have two cats that we brought over from the states, indoor/outdoor and not familiar with dogs. We have one acre and live in a rural rented accommodation.

Our idea dog: Med to large dog. housetrained, enjoys walks, maybe water. calm with the kids (3 year olds' list: big black dog that will jump up and lick his face and is nice to the cats and his brother)

Originally, we were looking for an older dog that was used to cats/kids, but that is proving difficult with not many rescues in Waterford and the WSPCA won't adopt to families with kids under 5. Anyway we've been going to the shelter, but it's so hard to adopt when we don't know any background of the dogs or how they may react to the cats.

We didn't want a puppy because although cute I wasn't looking forward to housetraining a dog, but if we adopt from the shelter we have to train the dog like a puppy and housetrain anyway. Just wondering if we should adopt (buying would be the last option) a puppy like a retriever or take the chances on an unknown adult shelter dog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Retriever puppy sounds like it ticks all the boxes. Far easier to train a puppy.

I'd reccomend buying a retriever though, so you can check it's lineage, parents hip scores etc.

If you don't want to or can't afford the time to house train you should consider not getting a dog. Dogs are a a LOT of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

In my opinion, adopting "an unknown shelter dog" could be a risk with young children.

There are many dogs in shelters with a known history.

I personally would avoid a puppy as they are a big commitment to look after and train, especially with young children.

You will be able to get lovely dogs from Shelters who are already house trained. Thats what I'd go for.

Don't take avoidable risks with adopting a dog which you might have to give up again as it doesn't suit your family. Don't rush in, take your time.

Good luck with the search.

Jamerican wrote: »
    Our family is interested in adopting a dog and is trying to decide on what age would be best suited for us. Here is some background: we have an infant and a 3 year old. They are both used to animals. We have two cats that we brought over from the states, indoor/outdoor and not familiar with dogs. We have one acre and live in a rural rented accommodation.

Our idea dog: Med to large dog. housetrained, enjoys walks, maybe water. calm with the kids (3 year olds' list: big black dog that will jump up and lick his face and is nice to the cats and his brother)

Originally, we were looking for an older dog that was used to cats/kids, but that is proving difficult with not many rescues in Waterford and the WSPCA won't adopt to families with kids under 5. Anyway we've been going to the shelter, but it's so hard to adopt when we don't know any background of the dogs or how they may react to the cats.

We didn't want a puppy because although cute I wasn't looking forward to housetraining a dog, but if we adopt from the shelter we have to train the dog like a puppy and housetrain anyway. Just wondering if we should adopt (buying would be the last option) a puppy like a retriever or take the chances on an unknown adult shelter dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would check out more rescues to be honest. Their dogs are fostered, housetrained and fosterers can tell you a lot about the dog, some dogs are fostered with cats and children too. Perhaps you would need to travel to collect the dog but a well matched dog is worth this one trip IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our retriever was trained quickly enough with minimal accidents in the house because he was brought out to the loo every 30 mins and I took him out during the night eg 3/4/5/6 am - it got later each week. Puppies nip and play bite - are you going to be ok with this? Also a hyper retriever pup could send kids flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Both my rescue dogs were completely housetrained when I got them(thankfully!!), one of them also does tricks, both are great with kids, 1 is approx 7 and we've had him 5 years, the other approx 3 or 4 and we've had her almost 2 years and they live with a cat (who is the boss), to be honest, the cat pretty much told them straight away that she was in charge and neither of them argued with her! So I definitely wouldn't rule out a rescue dog, there are some rescues who will match up a dog with your requirements if you're prepared to look further afield (PM if you want details), as another poster said lots of them are in foster care so are kid/cat tested, even the ones in the actual shelter can be/are kid/cat tested.

Personally I wouldn't have a puppy again, especially with young kids, just the housetraining and the mess and the general training, I just wouldn't have the energy, but that's just me!!

Good luck with your search anyways, it's good to see people doing their research and putting a lot of thought into the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

I have always envisioned puppies as furry tornadoes on a meth high, which scares me, but I was talking to someone who bought a golden retriever puppy and raved about how great they are. I also looked it up and goldens were recommended in our situation. Like I said, I wouldn't want to buy a puppy when there are so many shelter dogs out there (we have a long background with sheltering/fostering in the states) but I haven't completely ruled the idea out.

I am sure there are some rescues in the country that could have what we wanted but I honestly don't know of them. Can someone list them or PM me please? The shelter here in Waterford does not have any background on the dogs they take in. It's on a pick the one out that you like basis. So yeah, in that case I would be picking blind. I would hate myself if we had to bring a dog back so it's important we choose carefully. And we certainly don't mind travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

also, if I would have to housetrain shelter dog anyway a puppy may not be so bad? Plus the cats might not be so scared

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

Are you sure you don't want a dog that a can drive too? You need to spend more time thinking if you are the suitable one for the dog here, not just what dog would suit you. Having an acre of land is not enough of an excuse to own a dog. I know as I have 3 acres and 3 dogs. Our dogs are part of our family and we make allowances for them as much as having expectations for them. Wait another year or so is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you are going for a retriever you need to do your homework and find a reputable breeder who hip/elbow scores etc the parents - ie avoid the likes of buy and sell and done deal. Joint issues aside badly bred retrievers can be resource guarders and/or aggressive - you'll need to make sure the pup comes from the right environment. You'll have a few months to decide and plan ahead anyways at this stage because reputable breeders won't have puppies available so close to Christmas.
    They are mental as puppies like they all are and are mouthy (it's their job to hold stuff in their mouths) but they're clever and easy to train. They love company and being with the family - they're not emotionally cut out for a life out the back on their own imo. They also love muck and water so allow for the washing machine going all the time with towels during the winter lol!! Shedding wise imo they're not that bad as long as you brush them regularly to keep on top of it. Chewing on stuff wasn't really a problem for us - he had his chew toys early on and knew that's what he was allowed to chew so we avoided any destruction in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have pmed you a site that lists the rescues around Ireland. A lot of them don't have a premise as such, but place dogs into foster homes, so they will have a good idea of the dogs' temperaments, training etc and can match you up with a dog that will best fit into your family.

Best of luck, I think all children should grow up with a dog (or two)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We just got our 2nd retriever puppy and she is almost house trained already, a treat going outside works wonders with retrievers, they will do anything for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threepennys

If you want a large dog that's great with children, then look no further than a retired greyhound! There are literally thousands to choose from in Ireland. Have a look at <snip> for a list of rescues.

Mod note: As per the forum charter,please don't link to rescue sites in this forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement