Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap home studio

• 18-11-2012 2:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I wanna be able to record a decent demo in the house .
    I have a multimedia laptop with the latest windows .
    I got protools for free .
    Whats the cheapest quickfix to get mid level quality recordings they dont have to be like cd quality just yet but they have to be better than my beer soaked smartphone recording through soundcloud because my gallery seems to have got lost in a pint of beer and cant access camera recordings .
    Im looking at ads for m boxs and stuff but im swamped in an overcomplicated world of watts and versions and prices .

If anyone can help itd be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

What are you looking to record? Vocals and guitar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

eire1 wrote: »
    What are you looking to record? Vocals and guitar?
    Yeah and multitrack on some bass and lead .
    Use protools for the drums if i can figure it out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

I'd get a small usb interface like this since you said that you'll get protools free.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/miditech_audiolink_iii.htm?sid=15f1f13218e7e034647b6ad321dea2ad

A condenser mic http://www.thomann.de/ie/cat.html?gf=large_diaphragm_mics&oa=pra

mic stand and pop shield for the vocals.

Thanks alot dude will the first kit get me started for 84 euro thats deadly . Didnt underrstand the second part link just showed loads of microphones .
    But that bundle looks great .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It is worth to make sure that Protools works fine in your laptop. Make sure it is up to the job. I, and am not the only one, had a lot of problems to run it properly. Have a look at sticky in Music Production forum, lot of info on recording at home.
    You will definitely get better results than with smartphone recordings.
    What version of PT are you going to use? Whatever interface you buy, and you need to buy one, make sure it is compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Where are you based? Is it a once- off? It's not the same but the Axis has a professional recording studio which you can hire + its not mad money. Might be worth a look. And i think you can get vouchers... just sayi.g...Santys coming!

wonski wrote: »
    It is worth to make sure that Protools works fine in your laptop. Make sure it is up to the job. I, and am not the only one, had a lot of problems to run it properly. Have a look at sticky in Music Production forum, lot of info on recording at home.
    You will definitely get better results than with smartphone recordings.
    What version of PT are you going to use? Whatever interface you buy, and you need to buy one, make sure it is compatible.
    Are you saying protools has specific m boxs that work with it ? ****. Lets say I bought a laptop with every recording program on it . Which one should I use? .

Where are you based? Is it a once- off? It's not the same but the Axis has a professional recording studio which you can hire + its not mad money. Might be worth a look. And i think you can get vouchers... just sayi.g...Santys coming!
    Itd be more for trying ideas out regularly for writing and stuff as well .

Are you saying protools has specific m boxs that work with it ? ****. Lets say I bought a laptop with every recording program on it . Which one should I use? .

No, it is actually the other way around. If you have m-powered version of ProTools, you will have to use specific interfaces for it to work. I do not know which version of PT you got, so thought it is worth to highlight.
    As for PC requirements, they aren't extremely high, but with some multitracking/effects/instruments you may/may not find your laptop a bit slow sometimes...

wonski wrote: »

No, it is actually the other way around. If you have m-powered version of ProTools, you will have to use specific interfaces for it to work. I do not know which version of PT you got, so thought it is worth to highlight.
    As for PC requirements, they aren't extremely high, but with some multitracking/effects/instruments you may/may not find your laptop a bit slow sometimes...
    Is interface another wird for m box.laptop recording 2 tracks out of sync is the majpr prob im having .

• Advertisement

Is interface another wird for m box.laptop recording 2 tracks out of sync is the majpr prob im having .

Yep, m-box is an interface.
    I suspect you may have a problem with latency, not sure tough...
    Make sure all the drivers are up to date. Also check latency settings.
    Google all the issues you have, there are loads of resources online to make it work.

While im here . How much does cd pressing cost . Im not looking to do it right now but maybe a year or so down the line . Just wondering like .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 loggedout

Why not try a zoom HD 16 can record multi track , 8 at the same time ,drum machine, CD burner built in at CD quality plus loads of effects for each of its channels , just so happens I have one for sale interested ?

loggedout wrote: »
    Why not try a zoom HD 16 can record multi track , 8 at the same time ,drum machine, CD burner built in at CD quality plus loads of effects for each of its channels , just so happens I have one for sale interested ?
    How much Would such a rig cost .

How much Would such a rig cost .

New they are 700 euro
    Second hand 250 Ono

loggedout wrote: »

New they are 700 euro
    Second hand 250 Ono
    Way over the budget Im afraid.
    And I seen them about cheaper . Theres a fella sold one on adverts for 100 or so .
    Even a hundreds too much for my meagre earnings .

Way over the budget Im afraid.
    And I seen them about cheaper . Theres a fella sold one on adverts for 100 or so .
    Even a hundreds too much for my meagre earnings .

If you have pro tools you need an interface there was a fella selling a tacsam u122 50 euro may suit your needs takes line or mic
    Great interface for the price

im getting a behringer interface tonight . they are 80 quid new . Anyone ever used one ?
    I may as well be looking at an amp . Need advice

Advertisement