Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translating a book to learn spanish

• 18-11-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Would this be any good for learning spanish? I'm thinking it would.

If I get a classic, one that I'm really interested in and just sit down with a pad and write it out. Anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TrastoCat

Hi,

Translation has helped me a lot to learn English and can be very helpful. That depends, however, in your level. If you have an intermedium level, go ahead. If not, maybe you want to learn a bit more or you are going to be stopping every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Well I'm just a litte bit above beginner and a little bit below intermediate. It's going to be a slow process I suppose...maybe I'll get a book with 150 pages, translate two pages a day, reading over what I wrote out the next day to see if I remember it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You may be interested to know: Penguin have a series of bi-lingual short stories in paperback. Spanish on the LH page ; English translation on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

They look good. Would be a nice place to start off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Byki.com are an excellent way of learning language, I learnt a lot of Lithuanian from this.
    Regarding the read the book and write it down method, it is also a good way to learn, I learnt German this way when I was 15 - 18. Now I already had some German which is close to my 1st language, but my written work wasn't so good. The transcribing and reading really ensured I had correct written German and is also excellent for grammar. It is important though to keep up your oral and aural work with a language too though. I still have some strange pronounciation of words, I know well from reading, but haven't said to a native speaker yet! I like to leave some fun days ahead :D

If you use a 'classic book' you may find yourself using old fashioned terminology and strange juxtaposing of words. e.g. I used oldfashioned 'car' in french instead of par se que, and I used words in english like 'bespeckled' and 'moustachio-ed' which really go down a treat with Irish people.

now I'm onto Irish and just realised I've been using Nollaisc instead of Nollaig. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Systematic lessons are the best way to learn a language.

If you've already done some classes and understand the rudiments of the language, translating a book could be a good idea. However, translation isn't just finding the meaning of every word. Every sentence has to be natural in both languages. All to often in newspapers, particularly in the football sections, you see absolutely terrible translations of interviews and press conferences made by people who haven't a clue.

So tread carefully. Translation is only worthwhile if you know how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

In my case, it took me around year and a half of learning Spanish on my own, from different textbooks, software and many other sources. I also listen a lot to Spanish radio even though in the beginning I could not pick up a single word. Only then, having gained some vocabulary, basic grammar I progressed to translating books.
    First, classics, as mentioned before, can be a bit outdated but nevertheless worth trying and usually are -- well -- just interesting.
    However, I'd start with some children books. They do not upset you so much in the beginning.
    Then go to newspaper, an article or two a day from the section you're into.
    And only then to classics.

In the end, the Penguin series of parallel text is as worthwhile trying as tempting to look at the English language page nearly every sentence.

¡Saludos!

Advertisement