Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower is making alot of noise

Options
  • 18-11-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

Does anyone know what might be wrong with my electric shower? Its a Triton tx90. When I run it, it makes a really loud fairly high pitched noise. It runs ok, the temperature does fluctuate between hot and cold but other than that its fine. Its only about a year or two old

The pressure seems to be ok, I opened it and removed the filter to see if anything was caught in it. It was fine. The coils dont look to be burned like I thought they might be.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Have you descaled the head recently? Remove it from the hose and leave to steep overnight in some blue harpic. Rinse well and refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I will have a go at that all right, the head is fairly limescaley but would that be the problem if its still making the noise when the head and the hose are removed? I ran it for about 20 minutes without the hose and head attached yesterday and it still made the noise.

The hot/cold could be from water pushing back as it can't get out of the head fast enough, happens here all the time (hard water area) This can damage the inside of the shower over time. Either way it's a good idea to keep the limescale under control if you can. We got through a couple of T90's before a plumber put us on to the harpic.

ah great, yea I live in a hard water area. Ill do that later.
    If this is the problem, is the shower knackered now? Anything I can do to make it stop screeching

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Don't think I'd be putting harpic into a shower or head I mean that's mad. You're gonna use it to wash yourself with after.

If you leave it soak in a bucket with limejuice and water mix it'll clear the limescale or if it's more stubborn leave it soak in some clear vinegar.

Harpic will burn your skin if there's any traces of it left in the head not to think what it could do to your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Bushes worn on the motor?

The harpic works a treat, and I did say rinse it well afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

docmol wrote: »
    The hot/cold could be from water pushing back as it can't get out of the head fast enough, happens here all the time (hard water area) This can damage the inside of the shower over time. Either way it's a good idea to keep the limescale under control if you can. We got through a couple of T90's before a plumber put us on to the harpic.

Hot/cold is usually from the flow being too low from being restricted, water gets too hot, and trips the overheat stat. Water cools, stat resets, and the cycle starts again.

Limescale is usually the cause alright.

Because the water flow is restricted, the pump runs faster as well.

The shower always puts a fixed amount of heat into the water, so the lower the flow, the bigger the temperature change from cold water to the hot water out.

Great ,thanks for the replies. Ill try that and see if it fixes it.
    F**king hard water, this is my second shower in 4 years

Advertisement