Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sensitive pre-teenage boy

• 18-11-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My 12 yr old boy who is in 6th class gets very emotional if he anybody says anything to him. Even if you insult his dog he will run off crying. He does not have many friends and he is due to go into secondary school in September. Really need advice as to how I can help him overcome this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Your little boy seems very sad and maybe something is bothering him to make him feel this way. Have you tried to sit down and have a chat with him letting him know that he can talk to you about anything and you will love him regardless of what he says

Does he have any interests that maybe he could join as an after school club...I know this may seem a bit maybe weird (not sure even that is the right way of saying it) but are there any drama clubs in your area they are great for kids of that age as they can teach them so much about confidence and also if your child is having issues then its a safe place to put them out there and not get judged...I know most people think its a bit girly and tbh I hated drama when I was younger its only as I have gotten older and see my sister in law teach it in the local school and actually see for myself the changes in so of the kids especially the ones that are so quite and timid it really helps with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sounds like he needs a huge amount of help and support. I can relate to how he reacts...I was quite the same.

Just a few things that he needs:

1. Self confidence. He needs to know that he is a good, decent person regardless of what anyone says. Very emotional people tend to focus on how others view them, rather than how they view themselves. When thinking inward, it's usually a focus on the negative (things they don't like about themselves).

2. Related to the above; An understanding about how people react to you depending on your...er, persona. People react differently if you are outgoing, confident looking etc (even if you are not). This may sound odd, but try showing him how he looks in a full length mirror and then get him to 'stand tall' and smile slightly. Help him to understand how others would respond to the different 'versions'.

3. An understanding that not everyone he meets in life will be nice. Those who are bullies are worthless, so their opinions and words are equally worthless. He should only care about the thoughts/opinions of his friends & loved ones. He needs to know that he can choose how to respond, rather than acting directly on his feelings.

4. Knowledge of how to react in a practical way when faced with bullying. Theory is great, but he needs some practical ideas of what to actually do. Run through some ideas and discuss how his actions would affect others and their opinion of him.

I hope the above helps, and I wish I could help more, but written communication isn't one of my strong points. I'm a much better talker when it comes to discussing things like this. Best of luck to you and your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tigerlillie

Thank you Edellc and crazyrabbit. Every little bit of advice helps. At the moment he does kickboxing lessons every thursday evening which he is really enjoying and he does the GAA which will start up again in the new year. Unfortunately there are no drama classes near to us. After school activities is very limited.

Advertisement