Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy s3 problems

• 18-11-2012 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a question or 2 about my S3.

Its running kind of slow, nothing major, but can be slow opening and closing apps, when I'm in an app and press the home button i could be looking at a blank background screen for a few seconds before the apps re-appear, and then i go into something that requires typing, eg. message app, whatsapp, internet, pretty much anything that requires a keyboard, I could be waiting up to 30 seconds or more for the keyboard to actually appear, plus a few other minor things.

None of this actually prevents me from using the phone but it is very annoying considering the price I paid for it and what its supposed to do.

I googled the problem and some of the solutions involve making changes in the "developer options". To do this I need to turn them on, and when I do i get a warning message saying "these settings are intended for development use only. they can cause your devise and the applications on it to break or misbehave".

My questions are:
    1. What are the developer options and should I stay away from them??

2. Has anyone got any solutions to help fix my slow running Galaxy s3?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

My phone was like this a few weeks ago after the JB update, I backed up and done a full factory reset. Sorted my phone out perfectly. You can go down the root of rooting it and installing custom roms but I never bothered with that.

Theres a thread already regarding the S3 use those instead and more people may be able to help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    My phone was like this a few weeks ago after the JB update, I backed up and done a full factory reset. Sorted my phone out perfectly. You can go down the root of rooting it and installing custom roms but I never bothered with that.

Theres a thread already regarding the S3 use those instead and more people may be able to help you out.

I've done two factory resets since the update & its still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I've done two factory resets since the update & its still the same.

What launcher/browser/keyboard are you using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    What launcher/browser/keyboard are you using ?

Stock touchwiz, firefox, swiftkey. The girlfriends s3 is doing the exact same, competely stock. On a second read of the op my problem isnt as bad, when i open contacts theres a pause of a blank screen for about 2 seconds. Same when opening call log/phone dailer, s memo & s planner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

sentient_6 wrote: »

Stock touchwiz, firefox, swiftkey. The girlfriends s3 is doing the exact same, competely stock. On a second read of the op my problem isnt as bad, when i open contacts theres a pause of a blank screen for about 2 seconds. Same when opening call log/phone dailer, s memo & s planner.

I just bought an S 3 myself. Its not as bad as you 're describing but it's definitely not as ....crisp, as I would have thought in terms of general speed and response. I figured it'd be searingly fast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sounds like it could be TouchWiz, it is a truly awful piece of customising by Samsung. I've had the same issues as you describe since I got the SGS3 a couple of months back. Lagging, stuttering, hangs.

Finally bit the bullet there on Sunday and flashed SuperNexus and the difference is incredible - far, far smoother, more responsive, no lags in places I was guaranteed to see it before (e.g. it used to take me 5 seconds to open the phone dialler with stock, instant now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭big_show

Kensington wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be TouchWiz, it is a truly awful piece of customising by Samsung. I've had the same issues as you describe since I got the SGS3 a couple of months back. Lagging, stuttering, hangs.

Finally bit the bullet there on Sunday and flashed SuperNexus and the difference is incredible - far, far smoother, more responsive, no lags in places I was guaranteed to see it before (e.g. it used to take me 5 seconds to open the phone dialler with stock, instant now).

cheers you just tipped me over the edge as well, going to flash supernexus tonight.

pity the MHL cable doesn't work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

big_show wrote: »

cheers you just tipped me over the edge as well, going to flash supernexus tonight.

pity the MHL cable doesn't work with it.

Install syriah kernel. Dual boot. Install supernexus to secondary rom and check it out. That way u can just reboot into the samsung main formware for the mhl if u want.

Also 4.1.2 jellybean is awesome fyi.
    Still not as smooth as the pure android roms out there ofc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Kensington wrote: »

Just happened across this thread and I cleared the cashe & data.... It made a huge difference :D

Yes all my app shortcuts and widgets disappeared but the phone is much improved in terms of speed, is there an alternative to TouchWiz or can it be tuned off or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

install a custom rom. it completely changes the interface of the phone though.. since thats what touchwiz is. the icons, screens, feedback etc...
    its annoying having to clear data after updates though :/

if you wanna try a custom rom, heres an example of supernexus which a lot of people on here use. not the install instructions or whatever, but its just an example of the difference in how the phone looks/works after.
    once you get used to them, imo it rips touchwiz to shreds, but in looks its nowhere near as nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt2l5g_3w48

if you do wanna try out a rom after i suggest dual booting. google it for s3 if u dont know what it is. lets u mess with roms, but keep your original anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement