Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to quit work- how much notice is required

Options
  • 18-11-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I joined a bank last year as a temporary worker with a recruitment agency. It was my first real job after college so forgive me if my questions appear stupid. Unfortunately I was very unhappy in this job as all of my work colleagues were alot older than myself and i never really connected with any of them. However I continued the job as I needed to save up some cash for any alternative plan (masters/travelling)

2 months ago in September the bank made me permanent so I am now permanent staff. I have decided I would like to go travelling in January and am aware I need to give notice to the company. How much notice is required to give a company and also is it bad for me to leave so early into my permanent contract?
    I do not want to negatively affect my CV or get bad references in the future. What sort of excuse is required to give the company?

I appreciate any feedback as I do not know the answers myself..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

First step is to check your contract. That takes precedence over what's set out by law (provided it doesn't specify a shorter notice period than legally allowed).

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're leaving to go travelling - it's pretty much expected that people your age will leave a job to do that. Do everything you can to make your departure as smooth as possible for them, and that should help you get a good reference off them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciara clarke

Eoin wrote: »
    First step is to check your contract. That takes precedence over what's set out by law (provided it doesn't specify a shorter notice period than legally allowed).

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're leaving to go travelling - it's pretty much expected that people your age will leave a job to do that. Do everything you can to make your departure as smooth as possible for them, and that should help you get a good reference off them in the future.

Thank you for your reply. Could the notice period ever be 1 year? Is a person expected to stay at least a certain length of time in a permanent contract? Like do they have to stay at Least a year? What is the longest the notice period could bE? I don't know where my contract is I assume it's with the company.

If I was say 40 years of age would I still be allowed leave to go travelling without getting a bad reference? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

usually it depends on how long you are with the company but generally 2 - 4 weeks is normal

would you be able to take a career break with the bank for a year and then later on decide if you want to go back?

Advertisement