Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit Schedule for rent!

Options
  • 18-11-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Guys.. Can anyone help me.
    I moved into a property on the 27th of March, for 6 months and paid the first months rent and deposit before I got the keys. Rent is to be paid on the 27th of every month after this by direct debit.

Should my last payment have been 27th of August??
    The agent took it out again in Sept. :((

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You typically pay rent for the month ahead, so if you moved in on the 27th March for 6 months then your last payment would be 27th August which would cover you through to 26th September (6 payments). If they took money for September then they need to give it back to you (assuming you dont plan on saying in the accomodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭xXLaneyXx

Thanks djimi,

No I left the property in september. The agency was apalling to deal with. Kept my deposit because I didnt give exactly a full months notice.( 5 days short) The contract was six months. I just noticed my bank statement that they took out another months rent 27th of September. Is it up to me to cancel the direct debit? i best check my bak to make sure it didnt go out again 27th of October. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Legally you do not have to give notice at the end of a fixed term lease.

It shouldnt have to be up to you to cancel a direct debit but I would for reasons that you have now discovered.

I would get onto Threshold and have them advise you how to proceed.

I was completely unaware of that. thanks so much for your advice!!

This agency has messed me around so much, other people I know have also had problems!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

You should check whether you set up a Standing Order, or if you agreed to a Direct Debit. 2 different things. If its a Direct Debit, then the letting agency called for the money from your bank and you shouldnt have needed to cancel this as the lease came to its natural end and they shouldnt have called for the money in September.

If it was a standing order, then yes, you should have cancelled it yourself as its an order from you asking the bank to send the money to the agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Highly unlikely it was a Direct Debit.

More likely this was a standing order.

Thanks guys, it was the agency that got me to fill out a form for them and put in my bank details.

Either way im due my money back arent i??

Advertisement