Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin American or Spanish Literature

Options
  • 18-11-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Is there anybody interested in these types of Lit.
    It's my native language and what I've been studying basically all my life and I would like to know ppl interested in it. If I could help with anything related to it. It would be my pleasure. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I've very little experience of this, but I really enjoy Roberto Bolano's stuff. Am currently making my way through 2666. It's a long book but I enjoy his writing a lot!
    On the lighter side I've enjoyed one or two of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books, but there's not that much depth to those books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

fjon wrote: »
    I've very little experience of this, but I really enjoy Roberto Bolano's stuff. Am currently making my way through 2666. It's a long book but I enjoy his writing a lot!
    On the lighter side I've enjoyed one or two of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books, but there's not that much depth to those books.

I've read The Savage Detectives, and found it very overrated. Lots of detours and almost no central story.

Much better, in my opinion, is Mario Vargas Llosa, who has yet to write a bad book, I think. The Bad Girl is tremendous, though didn't much like his novel about Roger Casement.

Other great writers in Spanish - Garcia Marquez, of course, Javier Cercas, Javier Marías (A Heart so White is genius), Camilo José Cela, Borges. I read them mainly in Spanish but I think there are very good translation out there now. Spanish language literature is incredibly rich, and not well enough known in the English speaking world.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

It'sa my mother language too! I LOVE Latin American literature!

Do you lot like Julio Cortazar? His and Gabriel Garcia Marquez' short stories are great!

I could not pass from page one of Carlos Fuentes' "La Región Mas Transparente", though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

Who doesnt love Cortazar and Garcia Marquez!!
    I also like a lot Jorge Luis Borges, but my favorite is Horacio Quiroga!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

are you Hispanic? I am! My guess is que vos sos de Argentina.

Haven't read much of those two :( this year I read a really good one by someone who is not a classic, "Nadar Desnudas" by Carla Guelfenbein. Began reading a compendium of Belascoaran novels by Paco Ignacio Taibo II.

Do you also like latin rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

I am from Puerto Rico!!

I do like latin rock too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I can't recommend this book enough.

Advertisement