Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Kindle frozen - how to check version and try reset??

Options
  • 18-11-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

My poor Kindle has frozen for no apparent reason (I didn't even drop it this time!). It's frozen on the last page that I read, so it's still on. I've tried holding the on/off button, but that doesn't make a difference, neither does plugging it in.

I know there are certain resets that can be performed, but most of them involve taking the back off the Kindle. The back doesn't really want to come off though, so I wanted to make sure that it's supposed to be removed on this type of Kindle.

Only thing is, I don't know what version it is, and I can't see how to check it when it's frozen.

It's not a touch screen / Fire and doesn't have a keyboard. I originally got it for Christmas 2011, but it was replaced about two months ago with what is apparently a newer version of the same product (seems the same to me, except it's black instead of grey). I was wondering if there were any distinguishing physical characteristics that would let me tell which version this is.

I do have insurance, but I won't be able to get back to the shop until Thursday, so would love to get it working, even temporarily, before then.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Are there any lines across the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

No. It's just frozen on the last page I was reading. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/kindle

Kindles made it on to watchdog cuz of screen freezing problems, must be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

let the battery drain completely then it will power off itself... charge it fully then turn it on again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/kindle

Kindles made it on to watchdog cuz of screen freezing problems, must be a big issue.

Cheers. Yeah, I saw online that it has happened to other people so it's not just my Kindle. In saying that, I never had any problems with my last Kindle that weren't caused by me dropping it. I haven't made it back to the store yet - will probably be Sunday at this stage. The one thing I was wondering about is, I downloaded a free book from a site mentioned in the Bargain forum. It was in the middle of this book that the Kindle froze. I'm sure the book was legit, but I wonder was it corrupted or something. I do want to finish the book though - I hope I don't load it onto the new Kindle and end up with it frozen again!
    let the battery drain completely then it will power off itself... charge it fully then turn it on again

It's been on ever since it froze and the battery hasn't drained yet. You have to admire the battery life! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kindle is android based,

In every android I've come across you can power it down by pressing and holding power for ten seconds.

More importantly if you can get into two different booting menus usually by holding power and volume + or volume - when powering it on.

If you get the chance, try that and see if you get options

The kindle fire basic got a refresh a couple months ago, basically it just has a spiffier cpu, or more ram. I can't remember. One of those two, maybe both.

Thanks Overheal. I've tried holding the power button and, apart from the power light flashing green a couple of times, nothing happens. That's why I was wondering if there was a hard reset button underneath the back cover. TBH, I think the Kindle's brain is scrambled. RIP Kindle. :(:o

Advertisement