Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore business closures

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Where's this market??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

its beside the cakeshop that is near robinsons bar in summerhill

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Wow, never even spotted it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jack pippy

in my opinion i think their should be more festivals and stuff like that remember the tra fest that gathered good crowds that supported the local economic climate during the summer. tramore is a good town with lots of potential it could be so much more than it is today with a little more investment in the right areas the night life is gone and that was a huge attractor for tramore and the arcades are slowly going under something needs to be done if we want all those long forgotten fun summer days to come back its quiet sad really i miss the old tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

tramoreman wrote: »
    its beside the cakeshop that is near robinsons bar in summerhill

said cakeshop closing up for good also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 paulymac1

As a visitor to tramore for 15 years in a row until 2 years ago I find it hard to see the town losing its appeal,but the owners of the self catering apartments have to take a long look at themselves here.They are still charging the same amount for a weeks holiday as they did in the boom,who in there right mind is going to pay 750 euro per week plus 100 for ESB in todays financial climate.These prices are ridiculous,people cant and wont pay it,therefore the tourists money will go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

paulymac1 wrote: »
    As a visitor to tramore for 15 years in a row until 2 years ago I find it hard to see the town losing its appeal,but the owners of the self catering apartments have to take a long look at themselves here.They are still charging the same amount for a weeks holiday as they did in the boom,who in there right mind is going to pay 750 euro per week plus 100 for ESB in todays financial climate.These prices are ridiculous,people cant and wont pay it,therefore the tourists money will go elsewhere.

Just worth clarifying that some of the holiday homes we represented via Discover Tramore were not charging such rates. We represented most of the self catering businesses. Looking back at the 2012 rates for Pebble Beach, for example, peak rates were €650 per week. This was between July - August for a two bed-roomed house. ESB costs €8 per night or €35 for the Week. Earlier in the year, including June, rent was cheaper between €300 - €450.

Having dealt with people looking for self catering, there were some offers given to people throughout the summer season.

There are also B&Bs and Hotels available at very competitive rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulymac1

Point well made,but these were the prices quoted to me including pebble Beach for August which is when I wanted to book,if 650 as you say was quoted to me at least 2000 euro would have been put into the tramore economy by my family but they were the prices quoted to me 750 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Been living in Tramore my entire life (22 years), living up by the Ritz bar, I find that small area from the bar to Daybreak/Spar, the off-licence, golf course, Newtown cove, and the pier to be far better than the rest of tramore to be quite honest. (Although even up here it's not without the closures, with that big off licence closing down a while back.) Aside from needing to go to the supermarkets for food, the Ritz, Spar/Daybreak, and the off-licence cater to everything I'd need, plus using Newtown cove or the pier, and a Bus Stop to get out of the place when it's needed. Which is quite bad, I consider the rest of Tramore utterly pointless to spend time on.

Real pity businesses are closing down in the main part of Tramore, personally the last time I walked around the promenade area was to get chips in Dooly's with friends from Waterford who wanted to see the beach, A few weeks back, other than that I'm up around where I live or in town. Tramore will either resurrect itself (somehow) in the next 5-10 yrs or just become another Portlaw/Bunmahon. Just somewhere to drive through or just a beach to visit. Sadly.

I really think, that idea of a group package with the hotels and the amusements would really spark interest in this place. Moreover, just have the amusements become a single entity with one price. In summer, with the circus and all, the prom can't be beat. Right now though, nothing but dooly's. All in all, I don't know. Living here is different to being someone who wants to come and spend money here to enjoy the place. Still a good bit to do around the place, if you've never ever been here before. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

reading the posts there are many who would like to see Tramore come alive again, but there is a lack of idea's. It seems the local council is of little help, so who elected them?
    a decent caravan park, one on the lines of Casey's at Clonea, currently there is a mystery surrounding opening times, 1st May.
    A lot of traders rely on the increase of business from the caravanners, but alas Clonea has no competition.
    Pity the rail line has gone, steam trains from Waterford to tramore, would have been a big draw.
    Is there a regatta? Dungarvan have bikes why not have tramore involved?
    Aldi will drag people in, okay you are lucky you have Tesco, the two will increase footfall, do away with parking charges.
    Try and get an old world charm about the place, long live Tramore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great to see some ideas being offered foxcoverteddy - but - bikes? Really? In Tramore? :D

What about a couple of music festivals one rock etc and then try classical.
    Or get a marching band competition going. Just thinking aloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Tra Fest used to be here. But they've lost funding. That's the killer part about annual events. It seems the only things that draw people here is the beach and the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

tramore is living in the past....it continues to aim for the lower end of the market...that is the problem....slot machines and bumpers??? no thanks...

Well an old saying where there's muck there's brass, yes it is the bottom end of the market, but can you think of a way of moving up? It is very difficult and can be costly with no guarantee of success.
    If you reverse the down ward trend, no matter how you hate it, then perhaps you can start going up market.
    Look I am only trying to help and perhaps my suggestions are a bit wild, look at the following of championship darts, as seen on sky, why not in Tramore something like that, Bowls an old peoples game, now that is a bit up market, is there a fishing museum or a boat museum, a joke we could anchor a plastic life size whale in the bay and do boat trips.
    There must be many things that do not cost, if they are spending 5 million on Kilkenny high st, surely Tramore can get funding from Phil hogan.
    Why not get a committee together, come on Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I , as many others probably do not have the answer to Tramore's and many other towns problems, but as foxcoverteddy suggested about bowls, darts etc. you really have to target people with disposeable income/savings. Which is definately not people of the age group to feed the machines and go on overpriced rides. It's the oldies who have the money tucked away that should be focused on.
    Young people and young families just do not have the spare cash to spend so maybe Tramore just has to remodel itself to a new market. Aesthetically, Tramore is stunning with the sand dunes, Brownstone Head, The Metal Man and the big church but I have to admit in totally despising everything do to with the amusement arcades, candy floss and the rip off rides.

Tramore has to decide firstly why would anyone want to come, yes, sun, sea and sand, brilliant, what if it is raining, what do families do?
    Elderly people want more than the beach, is there anything to attract them/
    The one onstacle in the way is Waterford city and mayb e Dungarvan, they are almost making Tramore a dormitory town, in a way it is a bit like Kilkenny, we have not got a large department store and have two malls which give some respite during inclement weather.
    Many seaside towns in the UK were notorious in the fifties and sixties for having sweet nothing for families on Bed and Breakfast holidays, sit in a cafe all day or if you could afford it a coach trip.
    Now there is a thing, Mahon Falls, The Vee, Lismore, Blarney if you like, no car can't get there, old folk just love coach trips.
    Is there a decent bookshop in town?
    You have much to think about to bring people back, do a comparison with blackpool.
    Get a proper caravan/motorhome park, advertise, sell yourself and do not whallow in the depths of despair, go forth, but do something positive

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

3 businesses have closed in summervill market since christmas sean og, southeast bean bags and the book shop seo sceal eile. southeast beanbags are concentrating on their website and seo sceal eile are getting a website done

Advertisement