Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking guns to uk

Options
  • 18-11-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Anyone know if any of the airlines allow you to take guns from here to uk.. have been invited to shoot just over the border in Scotland and will be flying into Newcastle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

You will have to contact the police in the location that you are staying or get your sponsors to contact them on your behalf. You will have to get a temporary licence issued to you by them for the duration of your visit from arrival at airport/ferryport to departure.

PS do this as a matter of urgency as it can take some time for this to be arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ah right - THIS is the page and the link to the download - as LB6 notes - do it quickly -

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms_licensing/overseas_visitors.html

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

Thanks lads will sort out that end only if i can take the guns on the plane, but will any of the airlines allow you to transport a gun or guns from here to the uk (tis a driven shoot btw tac sorry i didnt mention it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In the useful info thread under General there is a section on transporting firearms via airline, and ferry.

Have a read and see if it's helpful.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Alchemist2 wrote: »
    Thanks lads will sort out that end only if i can take the guns on the plane, but will any of the airlines allow you to transport a gun or guns from here to the uk (tis a driven shoot btw tac sorry i didnt mention it)

Depends who you're flying with, you have to declare them in advance and transport them in a lockable case. Ryanair, for instance will not carry firearms at all, Aer Lingus will. I remember lads going to the UK to play airsoft, airsoft guns have to be checked in and transported as firearms so it's the same procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

Thanks lads, well air lingus don't carry guns or ammo on regional flights so that scuppers that plan... and its a wonder O Leary doesn't allow them on as its extra revenue.. travelling by boat is not an option... will have to get a loaner i guess when over there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

No problem - just select the appropriate part of the form in that case.

Remember that 12-yo Highland Park is your friend if you want to impress the hosts. Failing that, 'The Tallisker' is supposed to be a reasonable brew.

Good Shoot!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I will most certainly add my +1 for Talisker 10 year old. Very tasty indeed.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Thanks lads, well air lingus don't carry guns or ammo on regional flights so that scuppers that plan...

That's because they're operated by Aer Arann and branded as Aer Lingus. Aer Arann never allowed guns. :(

It may be because the cargo compartment is on the same deck as the passenger seating and in theory you might be able to access it. I'm only guessing at that though.

Advertisement