Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing a public dir, but able to stream files from it?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 8:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

I have a folder in my www directory which I would like protected so only I can access it, but I'd also like to be able to navigate it properly, be able to download files via Save As, and also stream media files from it in a media player.

Currently I'm using .htaccess/.htpasswd and while that secures the directory, I can't stream any files using VLC (prompts for pass but does nothing after entering it). Also when I try to access subdirectories I get a Forbidden error.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you applied the permissions recursively?
    You may be giving the top level folder the desired permissions but everything within it and beneath it may have completely different permissions - which your login appears not to have access to...

Advertisement