Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Billion Rising - Mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I am trying to understand the purpose of this day. Is it that a day has been nominated for a global day of observance where communities address the politics of rape within its borders, or is this about dancing and celebrating with everyone world wide with the message that rape is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I've seen it all now.

Yeah..well either that or just chop it off completely...transgender style. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Wow, some obvious light-hearted jokes (not sure deserving of reprimand) but some blatant contempt towards women. Grim.

Apparently any guy who doesn't hold disdain towards women is a "white knight" - most men, normal human beings, are white knights so.

I agree with the argument that this initiative lacks balance, but Jesus... that point can be made without the utterly malignant comments directed towards women, even if just by a minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Jamez735 wrote: »
    I know, that's what pissed me off at the start, but after speaking to the OP, I don't think that's what she means.

(OP, please excuse me for being this presumptuous & speaking on your behalf ..but your offline and I'm getting irritated by this)

(I think) the OP means that it's a gender inequality issue because both genders need to fight this issue together (the issue being the rape of women) She says it's about "standing together as both genders and working well together on an issue that is effecting a lot of women"

Now please ignore what you read on the One Billion Rising site, as I believe this does not do the OP's opinion justice. As I've mentioned several times already, it's phrased awfully. BUT, it's about men & women fighting the rape of women, together, as humans. It's not about gender inequality.

This is my last post on the subject, as I'm getting really annoyed, but I do urge yous to converse & debate about the Issue of female rape, and what we can do, as people , to fight this.

Vasectomies for first time offenders?
    Death penalty for repeat rapists?

Let's talk about this, and not about sexism or gender equality, which is an important but SEPARATE issue.

EDIT: Sorry OP, I see you're online now ;)

Thanks very much James. Maybe myself, yourself and other boards members can work together to get the wording right on how we should have a day that highlights and protests against rape and violence in this country. Great minds work together! Who knows - we could even get such a day off the ground. A lot of people see boards, what better way to get people together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

White Knight and feminist grand day out it seems.

Yeah rape is a terrible crime, which many men and women have suffered in this country. But blaming men as a whole for it (the "rape culture" nonsense) gets no one anywhere. Nor does a bunch of people dancing on valentines day achieve anything other than allowing people to engage in collective victimhood.

Then we have the domestic abuse part, the fact that many men suffer this is ignored. Rather than an attempt to unify the sexes this is an attempt to divide. The white knights who buy into this anti-male nonsense are the worst.

Feminism today is a poison, unlike what it was years ago.

Fair minded people are egalitarians.

GRMA wrote: »
    White Knight and feminist grand day out it seems.

Yeah rape is a terrible crime, which many men and women have suffered in this country. But blaming men as a whole for it (the "rape culture" nonsense) gets no one anywhere. Nor does a bunch of people dancing on valentines day achieve anything other than allowing people to engage in collective victimhood.

Then we have the domestic abuse part, the fact that many men suffer this is ignored. Rather than an attempt to unify the sexes this is an attempt to divide. The white knights who buy into this anti-male nonsense are the worst.

Feminism today is a poison, unlike what it was years ago.

Fair minded people are egalitarians.

That's pretty much how I feel in regards to how OBR is worded. So lets make a new day, for both sexes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Screw what the One Billion Rising site says. That's just awfully phrased, but the underlying idea behind it is good. and that is
    "Men & Women fighting the rape (of women) together."

Would one not think that before launching a worldwide campaign that they would have nailed down the wording of what they want the message to be.
    It clearly has a sentiment of "let's get all those men who rape/abuse women/girls"

On the site I see no mention of the shocking statistic of the fact that something like 80% of rape/sexual assault goes un-reported. As a starting point they could have focused on that.

"A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given" So are we to take that violence against boys is ok.

The sentiment is fine, the message is not & henceforth it really is a cause that many people will struggle to get behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Maybe they could change it to ORB, to make it more rounded.

I can see the issue, realise what it's aims are, but I'm not sure if it will achieve its aims, as I said earlier, most, ie 90% of men are not rapists, never will be and actually abhor the very idea of rape.Which is where I'm coming from.

The percentage that are inclined to rape are not likly going to change because of a protest, no matter how large the protest. No normal, well adjusted male contemplates raping a woman, it's the realm of the unhinged and the maladjusted, and that segment is hard to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm puzzled by Jamez735 stances on the issue. From blatant sexism to co-organising equality marches in the space of a couple of posts - not to mention
    Yeah..well either that or just chop it off completely...transgender style. :D
    which exhibits a peculiar sort of sensitivity to equality.

midlandsmissus obviously sends some very convincing PMs.
    Either that or dr.bollocko's been whipping sense again...

Pottler wrote: »
    Maybe they could change it to ORB, to make it more rounded.

I can see the issue, realise what it's aims are, but I'm not sure if it will achieve its aims, as I said earlier, most, ie 90% of men are not rapists, never will be and actually abhor the very idea of rape.Which is where I'm coming from.

The percentage that are inclined to rape are not likly going to change because of a protest, no matter how large the protest. No normal, well adjusted male contemplates raping a woman, it's the realm of the unhinged and the maladjusted, and that segment is hard to change.

Well the protest could raise awareness, and in return get more severe sentences for rapists brought in. For example, Larry Murphy should not be walking the streets, in any country.

Fair enough, 90% of men aren't rapists... but rape predominately affects women, (men) and we need more men to march if we want anything to get done about it.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm puzzled by Jamez735 stances on the issue. From blatant sexism to co-organising equality marches in the space of a couple of posts - not to mention

which exhibits a peculiar sort of sensitivity to equality.

midlandsmissus obviously sends some very convincing PMs.
    Either that or dr.bollocko's been whipping sense again...

Okay well the "chop off penis thing" was a joke obviously.

And I've not once, from the start, said I was against gender equality, or rape. I did however, make 1 sexist remark, in the heat of the moment, because I was frustrated, as I believed that the OP was trying to disguise rape as a gender equality issue. However, I have since realized that is not the case, and my issue is now not with the OP, but with the wording of the OBR website.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

Awareness about what?

Awareness about what?

Rape.

Rape.

Then that's a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Rape.

What about it though?
    Rape is bad?
    Duh - we know that!

Then that's a problem.

:confused:

Of course it's a problem, that's why we need to raise awareness about it.

Was a certain big bottomed lady reborn or what?

What about it though?
    Rape is bad?
    Duh - we know that!

well we could take a stand against it and protest for longer sentences for convicted rapists. We could raise awareness that 80% of rape crimes go unreported, not to mention domestic abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Midland Missus, it's interesting that the main events will happen on 14 February. That is called St. Valentine's Day in English-speaking countries. Here in Finland, however, it is called "Ystävänpäivä" (try pronouncing that!), which means "Friend's Day".

And maybe that is what it is A Billion Rising is really all about. Not a dichotomy between men and women, but both genders acting like real friends to each other to tackle the many problems that we all share in this world.:)

I like this, men and women really could be better friends and support each other in our common causes for the betterment of ourselves and our society. There is so much focus on our differences, wouldn't it be great if we focused as much on our commonalities?
    Imagine what we could achieve if we just stood together.

:confused:

Of course it's a problem, that's why we need to raise awareness about it.

Was a certain big bottomed lady reborn or what?

Nope.

I'm actually a sexual assault survivor and I find the notion that people want to get together, dance, and celebrate on the grand idea of raising "awareness" on the subject of rape against women to be counterproductive.

• Advertisement

well we could take a stand against it and protest for longer sentences for convicted rapists. We could raise awareness that 80% of rape crimes go unreported, not to mention domestic abuse.

Is that what One Billion Rising is about? Coz I didn't see anything about any of that on the website or in the op.
    Having a bit of a dance isn't going to raise awareness in any of that.
    Why don't they spend their time, energy, and money by doing something actually worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's an epiphany. Halleylujah.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Do you think protests work?

I would not be in favour of this particular protest because its only highlighting rape, violence, domestic violence against women but everyone wants men to show support. (Is that because men are responsible for the rape, violence)?

What ever happened to equality for both sexes?

There will always be bad in the world, no amount of protests or dancing will change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not that I disagree with the sentiment but the whole exercise seems like New Age touchy-feely tripe.
    ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION
    An invitation to dance
    A new time and a new way of being

I would not be in favour of this particular protest because its only highlighting rape, violence, domestic violence against women but everyone wants men to show support.

There will always be bad in the world, no amount of protests or dancing will change that.

Ugh didn't you read any of my previous posts :confused:

I'm completely against One Billion Rising, I think we should have a new day for both sexes, to highlight the issue of rape and domestic abuse among males & females.

It doesn't just have to be a protest, it could be a huge campaign. I don't know, I don't have all the answers,

If the purpose is to raise "awareness" on the subject of rape, why limit it to just male to female violence? Rape is rape. Saying that you only want to focus on the crime committed against women is counterproductive to the message of "raising awareness".

• Advertisement

I would not be in favour of this particular protest because its only highlighting rape, violence, domestic violence against women but everyone wants men to show support. (Is that because men are responsible for the rape, violence)?

Yes protests have effected change. Seriously, your advocacy of just sitting there and just letting things be as they are for anything (because there'll always be bad in the world) is staggering... and smacks of going against the grain for the sake of it.

Ugh didn't you read any of my previous posts :confused:

I'm completely against One Billion Rising, I think we should have a new day for both sexes, to highlight the issue of rape and domestic abuse among males & females.

It doesn't just have to be a protest, it could be a huge campaign. I don't know, I don't have all the answers,

Maybe start a new thread, the OP put me off immediately, it's all about women not equality, bad things happen to men, women, children so why this one sided protest?

Your idea is lost in this thread tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yes protests have effected change. Seriously, your advocacy of just sitting there and just letting things be as they are for anything (because there'll always be bad in the world) is staggering... and smacks of going against the grain for the sake of it.

Exactly. I think we should organise a protest against murder too, to raise awareness that it happens, and to illustrate to people that it's a bad thing. If would-be murderers know that people don't approve, they might think twice before picking up that chainsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Events are starting to be held around the world to promote gender equality and make the world a better place for both sexes to live in.

One such event is in Swords on the 10th February, and the big event is on in Stephen's green on 14th February, Valentines day. It's not about calling men the enemy and women the victims, it's about standing together as both genders and working well together on an issue that is effecting a lot of people.

Please go and get the word out. We can make the world a better place.

http://www.onebillionrising.org/pages/about-one-billion-rising

mod: And and all sexist posts / jokes etc. will result in cards or bans.

Please report any posts.

See here for what I mean.

Such a shame to see yet another group that claims to support gender equality actually focus on Women and ignore men. Thats not equality.

I have no problem with an event that seeks to confront and raise awareness of Rape as an issue. However claiming to promote gender equaility while presenting Rape as an issue that affects women only is absurd and hypocritical.

Have I ever protested for anything?

We are all entitled to our opinions, just because you don't agree does not make my opinion wrong.

• Advertisement

Yes, protests have definitely lead to change in the past in certain areas.
    But raising awareness about how rape is a bad thing for women by having a bit of a dance, has got to be the single most stupid thing I have heard in a long time, for a bunch of different reasons, all highlighted in this thread.
    What is the objective?
    It is just plain stupid!

Maybe start a new thread, the OP put me off immediately, it's all about women not equality, bad things happen to men, women, children so why this one sided protest?

Your idea is lost in this thread tbh.

Yeah I agree, I felt the same way as you for the first 4/5 pages of it! :)

Have I ever protested for anything?

We are all entitled to our opinions, just because you don't agree does not make my opinion wrong.
    I dont know whether you've ever protested about anything - I never asked. But saying protests won't cause change certainly is wrong - seeing as they have. There's that "it's my opinion" bullsh1t again. Seriously misused/abused phrase. So if someone strongly believes for instance that children should be beaten, then fair enough, it's their "opinion" and can't be challenged? Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Women can be peadaphiles and hurt and can beat men who won't fight back.

Men can be rapists..be raped.....can beat women who can't fight back.

Rape culture exists.

Feminism is not poison...

Masculinism is not evil...men don't really get to express it much

Sexist jokes do actually mean something is wrong.

Their is sexism in society...our society

Men can be feminists ....Women can be masculinists

Men who call feminism poison have issues...and are usually single

Intelligent life exists ..but not usually on AH

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

All rape is terribly disgusting, and I have nothing but detest for the perpetrators, and sympathy for the victims - be they male or female.

Unfortunately, this is another 'equality' piece of mumbo-jumbo that currently only targets rape against women, not against men.

Equality seems to be a buzzword for the promotion of women's interests.

Last week in the UK, a woman was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE for having sex with two boys who were brothers in their early teens. (google it, too lazy to put a link up). If it were a man, he would be locked up and the key thrown away.

Is equality really an issue in modern day Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Brothers and sisters, can't we all just get along.

Here surely is our common ground.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

meanwhile men are topping themselves by the busload,bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Yes, they do. They may not have an immediately obvious or tangible effect but they work to solidify the confidence and mindsets of many movements which can have positive immediate effect on those who attend and a more gradual influence further afield. Take the current Savita issue which provoked demonstration and has acted to bring awareness and solidify peoples opinions wrt the legality of abortion in Ireland.

I participated in a 15,000 strong protest last week, which while it may fall on deaf ministerial ears only served to bring those of us who marched together, stronger as a city. When you stand in solidarity with your neighbours, colleagues and townsfolk to represent yourself you realise very quickly that the power to change things lays in the hands of the people, not the governments or the wealthy bankers.

I did a search on events in WA state and IL. I was initially turned off when one of the organizers identified himself as a "male inclined spirit" who was organizing this event on behalf of the Goddess. The events in WA state are thus far limited to college campuses, and I can't help but wonder if they will blossom into opportunities for students to partake in the recently decriminalized Mary Jane.

I dont know whether you've ever protested about anything - I never asked. But saying protests won't cause change certainly is wrong - seeing as they have. There's that "it's my opinion" bullsh1t again. Seriously misused/abused phrase. So if someone strongly believes for instance that children should be beaten, then fair enough, it's their "opinion" and can't be challenged? Nonsense.

I suggest you re read your reply to me. I'm going against the grain because I don't agree with a one sided protest, seriously.

How is this protest going to stop women getting raped or beaten?

My opinion is my right, you can challenge it and try change it but it will always be my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Personally I would much rather see a Gender Solidarity movement than Feminist/Mens Rights movements.
    Continuing the mentality of a dualist confrontation between the genders will only see more people hurt in the future as one side ignores the legitimate claims and concerns of the other and both sides continue to be mutually obstructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

well we could take a stand against it and protest for longer sentences for convicted rapists.
    How about the elephant in the room that no-one will touch; the women who falsely cry rape that 99% of the time won't be named, shamed, and jailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

audidiesel wrote: »
    That was the point. But from looking at the site though that is what they are doing. its not about sentencing. its about rape is bad.

Also the maximum penalty in Ireland for a rape offence is life imprisonment.
    Sentencing forms part of Rape Culture, very very few rapists in Ireland recieve Life Sentences, and anyway its not just about Ireland its about the world and highlighlighting an injustice, what is so wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

*see post on gender equality*

*open link*

*only womens issues*

*close link*

Note : In no way am I making light of rape and violence against women, but I cannot take gender equality seriously when both genders issues aren't represented, in equal measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nothing like a good protest to defer people from raping others :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm totally onside with feminism. But I don't think these kind of protests make any difference (they definitely did with the Savita case and I was at a vigil for her.) I saw a TedX conference where a former hardcore environmental protester talked about, "Protestor or Participant" and gave examples that showed getting involved in dialogue and action was far more effective than simple protests. He maintained that protests still had their place, and I agree, that in specific case they do. I don't think it will have any effect in this scenario though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm, gender equality, I'm all for that......

*opens link*

Women, women, women, women, women, women........

*closes link*

I'm all for being against rape and forms of mental and physical abuse against women, just not when it's labelled under a gender equality thing that's supposed to take in both men and women but just ignores the male abuse completely.

Even then, it's a bit of a naff campaign for something like rape and abuse. Campaigns like this always make me feel like the subject is being trivialised.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems vague, overambitious and ultimately pointless.
    A narrower scope, protesting against something that can actually be changed by law (e.g. inadequate sentencing for rape and violence) should get the support, if only lip-service, of the majority of right-minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TeaAndCake

More of the usual...

"Fight for equality...

Women women women women women women women

Men are evil oppressors.

End."

I can't take the equality movement seriously anymore. "Equality" was ditched long ago and now the "feminist" movement is purely out to get women treated preferably in areas that suit them, while completely ignoring blatant inequality in other areas that suits them also. Men are now continually portrayed by females in the media as either oppressive or retarded and there also exists absolutely massive double standards from those crying "Equality!".

Can't tolerate any more of it and it seems that the majority, many women included, can't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

TeaAndCake wrote: »
    More of the usual...

"Fight for equality...

Women women women women women women women

Men are evil oppressors.

End."

I can't take the equality movement seriously anymore. "Equality" was ditched long ago and now the "feminist" movement is purely out to get women treated preferably in areas that suit them, while completely ignoring blatant inequality in other areas that suits them also. Men are now continually portrayed by females in the media as either oppressive or retarded and there also exists absolutely massive double standards from those crying "Equality!".

Can't tolerate any more of it and it seems that the majority, many women included, can't either.

Feminism is about fighting a traditional male patriarchy, where women were ascribed certain roles. Part of that is that men who crossed over into traditionally female roles were looked down on as lesser men. It's the exact reason father's rights are so ****e at the moment, because men are supposed to be breadwinners and women child carers. Feminism has just as much to do with having equal parenting rights as it does with glass ceilings for women, because they're different sides of the same coin.

Advertisement