Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen Lights

Options
  • 18-11-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there.

Is there an Energy Saving alternative to Halogen Lightbulbs ? Do I need to change the fitting so I can insert a new bulb ? I know that EU is banning these lights from 2013 and I am trying to prepare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Since when have the EU said they are banning these light bulbs?! :confused:

Are you talking about these light bulbs:

halogen-lamp-1.jpg

Nearly every room in my house has these light bulbs in them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

I read an Article in Feb saying that EU were planning on banning them from 2013. Google it I am sure you will find it!
    I am the same every room has them. Don't think they very efficient though! Yeah those ones

james142 wrote: »
    Since when have the EU said they are banning these light bulbs?! :confused:

Are you talking about these light bulbs:

halogen-lamp-1.jpg

Nearly every room in my house has these light bulbs in them! :(

I just had a quick glance but these look as if they are for outdoor use. The price of these are prohibitive! Don't you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

To the best of my knowledge there are no real changes in 2013 (except for architectural lamps). That is a year for revision of what has happened up to now and to confirm what will happen in the future.

There was another step made on September 1st this year which will take time to filter down to the street.

For a number of years there have been alternatives available. For a 12v 50w you can get a 12v 35w IRC lamp giving the same output as the 50w. I have been using Osram branded ones now for 5 or 6 years and so far have not had to change any. They cost roughly twice as much but last twice as long, with 30% energy savings.

This is the one.
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/halogen-lamps/decostar/decostar-51-eco/index.jsp

• Advertisement

Looking at the pin connectors on that bulb means that I have to change the units that the bulbs site into in all my rooms

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge there are no real changes in 2013 (except for architectural lamps). That is a year for revision of what has happened up to now and to confirm what will happen in the future.

There was another step made on September 1st this year which will take time to filter down to the street.

For a number of years there have been alternatives available. For a 12v 50w you can get a 12v 35w IRC lamp giving the same output as the 50w. I have been using Osram branded ones now for 5 or 6 years and so far have not had to change any. They cost roughly twice as much but last twice as long, with 30% energy savings.

This is the one.
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/halogen-lamps/decostar/decostar-51-eco/index.jsp

Dad11 wrote: »
    Looking at the pin connectors on that bulb means that I have to change the units that the bulbs site into in all my rooms

Is this yours? If so the same applies.
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/halogen-lamps/osram-halopar/osram-halopar-16-gu10gz10/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Fittings need to be changed.bulbs are bigger

tiny timy wrote: »
    Fittings need to be changed.bulbs are bigger

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying here.
    Who's fittings need to be changed? and what size fittings are you talking about?

Advertisement