Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult acne :(

• 18-11-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi,

I am 28 years old and currently suffering from adult acne. I have never had great skin, suffering from acne as teenager but then in late teens to early 20's it cleared up, would always have the odd spot but under control. Usual areas where I would have spots wouls be around chin area.

Last June I came off the pill (was on yasmin). I did notice that my skin was more prone to breakout since this. however in the past few months I am really suffering with acne on my chin, its spreading to my cheeks. What I also find quite worrying is that I an gettign spots along my jawline and on my neck. Im really self concsious of it and now getting to the point where I dont want to go out because of it :(

I went to a dermatologist 3 weeks ago and she suggested roaccutaine which I would prefer not to go on. She then gave the option of going on the dianette pill(which I did, started that about 2 weeks ago). I had a session of micro dermabrasion, acid peel and IPL from her. She also gave me obagi cleansiderm face wash and pore treatment.
    I have been using obagi now for about 3 weeks and there has been no improvement, in fact my skin has worsened, have had a rash today on my neck actually all day after using the pore treatment so I am going to stop using that now.
    I have been under a considerable amount of stress in the past few weeks which I am sure doesn't help.
    Is there anyone out there who has had similar problems who could offer some advice, I am literally desperate at the moment as very worried about scarring (the dermatologist told me when I went to her that its cystic acne)
    I have heard of people taking minocin for their skin, has anyone any experience with this medication?
    Apologies for such a long post .... would just love some help/advice on this :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

We cannot give medical advice here, it is against the rules.

Is it a case of it gets worse before it gets better OP? I'm sure your skin is recovering from the peel and dermabrasion. Are you due for a check up with the dermatologist where you can voice your problems with them?

I can offer my experience with Minocin, it didn't work for me at all. That's just me though, you should consult the doctor/dermatologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Twee. wrote: »
    We cannot give medical advice here, it is against the rules.

Is it a case of it gets worse before it gets better OP? I'm sure your skin is recovering from the peel and dermabrasion. Are you due for a check up with the dermatologist where you can voice your problems with them?

I can offer my experience with Minocin, it didn't work for me at all. That's just me though, you should consult the doctor/dermatologist.

I dont know if its a case of getting worse before it gets better tbh, so miserable bout it :( I did think that after a few days use of obagi that there was slight improvement, but since then i have been gettign more spots, they are sore and also now my skin is literally peeling off in layers around my nose and chin, it looks absolutley horrible :( Also, my neck is all red where i wiped with the pore treatment this morning. Not sure whether to continue using it or not.
    Thanks for the feedback on the minocin, just as a matter of interest what type of skin type are you. I am oily/combination?

Definitely get onto the dermatologist, find out if your symptoms are typical or if you need different treatment.

I took minocin for acne on my back, my face was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Hey OP,did they suggest duac gel at all?im not sure if it would apply to you but a couple of years ago I had bad skin with lumps on my cheeks and jawline. This really helped me out after feeling so down about it- it's a topical steroid cream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Try RETIN-A cream......................worked well for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Dianette will not have taken effect yet and skin tends to get worse initially before settling down. Give it at least another 2-3 weeks to see improvement. In my experience adult acne is not improved much anyway by topical creams as it tends to be a hormonal issues. However a steroid cream will probably help already formed acne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have PCOS and if I am off the pill (currently on Yasminelle) for any length of time my skin becomes horrendous, so as a result I have been on the pill for almost all of my adult life. While I am on the pill, my skin if just ok - whiteheads are pretty problematic and spots are frequent (particuarly on my back and the "triangle of death" - that is, from my nose, down around my mouth to my chin) but it is much better than if I am not on the pill.

I have been on several different pills due to other PCOS issues and find that when I switch, my skin flares up so this may be what you are experiencing at the moment. I have very dry skin, but bad skin, so finding products is a pain in the bum. Weirdly enough, I have fantastic skin until I was in my late teens/early twenties. It is prob a good idea to talk to your dermatologist about any products you can use on your skin and give the pill some time to work - I would have another look at the whole stiuation in a few weeks to see if anything is improving the scenario. Unfortunately, it may be just a waiting game to see how things progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Hi,

I've always been acne prone and finally I was diagnosed with acne vulgaris this summer. This is just me sharing my experience and it is not to replace a derm's advice.

The most important part of my skin care is definitely cleansing. If I don't cleanse my face properly, I'm break outs central. I try to be as gentle as possible. My favourite cleanser is La Roche Posay Toleriane Foaming Gel. I try to wear as little make up as possible on a daily basis and this removes everything. If I'm wearing a bit heavier make up for a night out or a lot of sunscreen, I first remove them with mineral oil. Mineral oil may work wonders or may wreck your skin. It is very YMMV. But oil cleansing is very effective in removing make-up and sunscreen, as well as clearing pores. If I'm not wearing any make up that day, I'd use something gentle like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. I also try not to cleanse in the mornings if I can to not to "disturb" my skin; and just splash some water.

I avoid all types of physical exfoliators like the plague, as you'd know. I have differing success with AHAs and BHAs. I don't use them together, as I'm quite sensitive. If I'm using AHA, it's once a week. I can tolerate BHA up to 2-3 times a week.

But the best thing is retin-a/retinol/retinaldehyde. I'm currently using Avene Ystheal 2-3 times a week (and never on the same day with my AHA or BHA). Imho, this is the thing to try before going onto the roaccutane route. Roaccutane is basically made of retinoids, so (again imho) it makes sense to try them topically before internally. A few of my friends used it in the past and it has serious side effects. But your derm would know what is best for you.

Lastly, the moisturiser I like the best is from Salcura. I still like these but it beats Toleriane Ultra, Cetaphil lotion and Oilateum (for those dry days).

Edit: I'm 26 for reference.

As for other topical treatments, I had little luck with BP (can't tolerate it). Topical erythromycin works the best for me as per my derm's prescription. But again, that's just my experience. Your derm would know the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Sorry to hear OP.

Just wondering what is your diet like? Too many times Acne is put down to hormones or an unknown factor but often that is a lazy answer. I say this becuase I when I eat dairy (Milk, Cheese, Ice-Cream etc.) I tend to break out.

Nobody can really tell you why you're getting acne and many dermatologists will tell you that you should be using topicals or taking anti-biotics. Accutane is the only proven drug that can stop acne or at least slow it down. If you don't want to try that I'd try small changes to your diet: 1. Reducing your intake of dairy. 2. Eating better quality foods with a low glycemic index. 3. Try eating less refined carbs

Also have you ever tried aqueous cream? A lot of cleansers and moisturisers are actually doing more bad than good when it comes to problem skin.

Also don't touch your face or play with it. You'll cause more problems scrubbing, picking and poking than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Thanks so much for all the info, really appreciate hearing what other people have tried and tested.

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the first dermatologist I went to, think it is kind of strange she didn't do a check on my skin to see if I would have a reaction to obagi before making me fork out 80 euros for 2 different lotions/potions :mad:

I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow who deals specifically with skin problems (she's not a dermatologist though but have heard good reports about her). Since I have only been back on dianette about 2 weeks I am sure she will repeat what has been mentioned here already ..." weeks is not enough time to see results I suppose!

I may definitely stay clear of obagi though I think as my skin on my neck is still visibly red and sore after using the pore treatment.
    Thanks again folks, really just want to get this under control! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sorry to hear OP.

Just wondering what is your diet like? Too many times Acne is put down to hormones or an unknown factor but often that is a lazy answer. I say this becuase I when I eat dairy (Milk, Cheese, Ice-Cream etc.) I tend to break out.

Nobody can really tell you why you're getting acne and many dermatologists will tell you that you should be using topicals or taking anti-biotics. Accutane is the only proven drug that can stop acne or at least slow it down. If you don't want to try that I'd try small changes to your diet: 1. Reducing your intake of dairy. 2. Eating better quality foods with a low glycemic index. 3. Try eating less refined carb.

This is not true. You can have the healthiest diet in the world, and still have acne. I lead a very healthy lifestyle, but have adult acne.

Op,unfortunately its trail and error.I have tried antibiotics and differnt pills. So far, Dianette is the only ting thats worked for me.If your dermatologist recommended roaccutaine then I would go for it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

panda100 wrote: »
    This is not true. You can have the healthiest diet in the world, and still have acne. I lead a very healthy lifestyle, but have adult acne.

Op,unfortunately its trail and error.I have tried antibiotics and differnt pills. So far, Dianette is the only ting thats worked for me.If your dermatologist recommended roaccutaine then I would go for it tbh.

Where did I say there that Acne is caused by diet? Acne can be caused by hundreds of things and I suggested that the OP try a few things with her diet from my own experience.

Also recommending the OP takes a drug on the premise that her Dermatologist, who they are already weary about, told her too is farcical. Also you shouldn't start recommending drugs you can't even spell.

No need for such defensive tones. And a reminder to us all that we cannot give medical advice here. OP, the only one who can help you with medications is your doctor or dermatologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Hey OP,

I spent some of my teens and most of my 20's on Dianette and it definitely worked for me so I would say give it another month or so and you should see a difference. I really don't think much of those topical creams but what works for some, may not work for others and if you feel they're making your skin worse, I would avoid using them again.
    I know how awful acne is and how much it can affect your confidence but hang in there, you will find something that works for you

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Blushing Pixie

I had what I thought was a terrible case of spots on my jawline. My GP prescribed antibiotics but to no avail. After about a year of nothing working I resorted to the dermatologist who diagnosed adult acne (although i must stress my symptoms were mild and contained in one area). She prescribed me Zindaclin gel. My treatment plan involves not using water on my face, just cetaphil and a dry wash cloth. In the evening I apply the Zindaclin gel and leave it on the affected area for two hours only before removing. Then I apply a small amount of Neostrata bionic cream. She recommended I alternate the bionic cream with Retin A three nights a week. Obviously a high factor sunscreen is a must when using Retin A. I started all this in December and the spots are virtually all gone. I have been left with minor scarring but I'm sure my dermatologist will address this issue on my next visit. Zindaclin has worked great for me and I'm thankful that I don't have to go down the route of harsher medications. I'm sure any GP could prescribe Zindaclin, it might be worth a shot. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

Hi,

I am 28 years old and currently suffering from adult acne. I have never had great skin, suffering from acne as teenager but then in late teens to early 20's it cleared up, would always have the odd spot but under control. Usual areas where I would have spots wouls be around chin area.

Last June I came off the pill (was on yasmin). I did notice that my skin was more prone to breakout since this. however in the past few months I am really suffering with acne on my chin, its spreading to my cheeks. What I also find quite worrying is that I an gettign spots along my jawline and on my neck. Im really self concsious of it and now getting to the point where I dont want to go out because of it :(

I went to a dermatologist 3 weeks ago and she suggested roaccutaine which I would prefer not to go on. She then gave the option of going on the dianette pill(which I did, started that about 2 weeks ago). I had a session of micro dermabrasion, acid peel and IPL from her. She also gave me obagi cleansiderm face wash and pore treatment.
    I have been using obagi now for about 3 weeks and there has been no improvement, in fact my skin has worsened, have had a rash today on my neck actually all day after using the pore treatment so I am going to stop using that now.
    I have been under a considerable amount of stress in the past few weeks which I am sure doesn't help.
    Is there anyone out there who has had similar problems who could offer some advice, I am literally desperate at the moment as very worried about scarring (the dermatologist told me when I went to her that its cystic acne)
    I have heard of people taking minocin for their skin, has anyone any experience with this medication?
    Apologies for such a long post .... would just love some help/advice on this :(

I had the same problem sure from my teens upwards to in my 20s and I was using this dabby stuff (which i forget the name of) that I got from my doctor and he gave me pills but didn't work and I'm trying this Cream Quinoderm at night just washing my face with plain water no soaps and rubbing the cream on at night before going to bed even , you feel abit of a sting at first when putting it on but it kills any infection and I found it really good so hopefully it will work for you and I'm taking multivitamin tablets Berocca .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Going to hijack this thread slightly.

I had bad acne as a teenage and was put on two courses of roaccutane. It worked wonders and I had no complications to really complain about. Since then I get a few spots still here and there.

I have found washing too much always leads to a breakout, any kind of . If I were to wash twice a day my face would be in tatters. I use silcocks base and or aqueous soap substitutes as cleanser and moisturiser once a day if even.

I started bar work again recently and find after working a busy night that a few little white heads appear on my face.
    Not cool!
    Anyone have any advice on how I could avoid this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

OP, take a look at Caroline Hirons website, she has written a lot about acne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I use Salicylic Acid Chemical peel 20% about twice a week, and Benzyol peroixide 10% every time I feel spots. I bought the products on Ebay as cheaper and they can be hard to buy. The over the counter spot products you get here only tend to have 2% to 5% of these ingredients are are no good for prolonged adult acne. My skin is clear for the first time in years after using the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

flowerific wrote: »
    I use Salicylic Acid Chemical peel 20% about twice a week, and Benzyol peroixide 10% every time I feel spots. I bought the products on Ebay as cheaper and they can be hard to buy. The over the counter spot products you get here only tend to have 2% to 5% of these ingredients are are no good for prolonged adult acne. My skin is clear for the first time in years after using the above.

Can you please PM me the link for the salicylic acid product on eBay? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Can you please PM me the link for the salicylic acid product on eBay? Thank you!

Could you PM me too? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

After a lifetime of adult acne, my Doctor recommended a mixture of probiotics and digestive enzymes and the result is wonderful. I did have my gut bacteria tested to find which ones were imbalanced. If you are aware of any digestive unease, this could help. There are probably many different causes of adult acne.

Advertisement