Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'm in the gym about 8hours a week now that I'm back to college, no cardio though :pac: I'll be parking my car so far away from the gym now after today though that won't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Apologies to those who have seen this before, but this is for sale again...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3861263

View2-14064520.jpeg

He's looking for crazy money for it as it was going for €2200 about 2 months ago but I want it so badly. I have an insurance quote on it that's viable and the tax is relatively hefty, but manageable. It's the purchase price that's the problem for me.:o

However this is how it left us in 2010

jhg7qt.jpg

You don't have to be an Alfa fan to acknowledge that it looks well and if it's been maintained even at a basic level it should still be in very good condition now for anyone thinking of buying.

WANT X10...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Stheno wrote: »

Used to be, played badminton, squash, basketball, rugby, swam competitively, and was very fit.

Now I am a slob.

I enjoy watching sports :)

Nah tbh, my lifestyle and the amount of travel I do mean I can't commit to any regular team sports.

You must have been a busy girl :)

Ah that's a shame :(

I need the hurling to vent my aggression!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

166man wrote: »
    Apologies to those who have seen this before, but this is for sale again...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3861263

He's looking for crazy money for it as it was going for €2200 about 2 months ago but I want it so badly. I have an insurance quote on it that's viable and the tax is relatively hefty, but manageable. It's the purchase price that's the problem for me.:o

However this is how it left us in 2010

You don't have to be an Alfa fan to acknowledge that it looks well and if it's been maintained even at a basic level it should still be in very good condition now for anyone thinking of buying.

WANT X10...:D

Has he upped the price as he's done the NCT since the last time?
    You must have been a busy girl

Ah that's a shame

I need the hurling to vent my aggression!!

Different sports at different times

There are people out there who consider their car well maintained when it's on the factory plugs and ran on low oil. The mind boggles at what your idea of maintenance at a basic level is.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    There are people out there who consider their car well maintained when it's on the factory plugs and ran on low oil. The mind boggles at what your idea of maintenance at a basic level is.

Stheno - That might be true but I reckon it could be a punter trying to make a few quid.

RJ - It is you my good sir who has no idea of what he is talking about. That car had the most complete service history I have ever seen in my life. Anything it ever needed it was given and serviced on the button. So kindly walk on with your patronising comments as I certainly won't be entertaining them here.

Thanks. :)

RJ - It is you my good sir who has no idea of what he is talking about. That car had the most complete service history I have ever seen in my life. Anything it ever needed it was given and serviced on the button. So kindly walk on with your patronising comments as I certainly won't be entertaining them here.

And of course as you know it all you can appreciate that mightn't have been maintained over the last 2 + years ;)

Who was the previous owner who left your 156 on the factory plugs again?

You just have entertained them too btw !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno - That might be true but I reckon it could be a punter trying to make a few quid.

That car had the most complete service history I have ever seen in my life. )
    You sold it almost three years ago though if it was early 2010 :)

My car has more service history than I've had hot dinners up to 80k miles, then it was owned by someone who "did" the maintenance themselves, so no verifiable history for the last 2.5 years of it's life before I got it.

That does make a difference imo.

You can't know what he's done, and his ad doesn't say anything about a service history at all

Anyone who knows anything about Alfas and selling them would be shouting from the rooftops if they had the service history, it's a real selling point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Wtf? He mentioned nothing about the car in question, but more along the lines of "What the hell does maintained at a basic level (in your words) mean?" RJ was just pointing out that in general peoples opinions of "well maintained" tends to differ. At a basic level for you, and the next person might be completely different.

If you've dirty laundry to air with RJ, do it elsewhere tbh.

Clouded judgement I think it's called, in the trade :)
    Was simply pointing out it could be in tatters maintenance wise for all we know from 2010 onwards.

Not by PM though 166man ;)

• Advertisement

You sold it almost three years ago though if it was early 2010 :)

My car has more service history than I've had hot dinners up to 80k miles, then it was owned by someone who "did" the maintenance themselves, so no verifiable history for the last 2.5 years of it's life before I got it.

That does make a difference imo.

You can't know what he's done, and his ad doesn't say anything about a service history at all

Anyone who knows anything about Alfas and selling them would be shouting from the rooftops if they had the service history, it's a real selling point

Car was sold in November 2010. Makes it two years. :)

FSH up to 85k miles, and when the car was up previously it was mentioned that the timing belt had been done on it. With new tyres, new cabin filter and the timing belt done, I would wager that it's been minded. Of course I can't know what's been done but there you go.
    Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Wtf? He mentioned nothing about the car in question, but more along the lines of "What the hell does maintained at a basic level (in your words) mean?" RJ was just pointing out that in general peoples opinions of "well maintained" tends to differ. At a basic level for you, and the next person might be completely different.

I couldn't give a toss what he pointed out CM. My main point was that I won't be entertaining his comments. Relax dude...

Car was sold in November 2010. Makes it two years. :)

FSH up to 85k miles, and when the car was up previously it was mentioned that the timing belt had been done on it. With new tyres, new cabin filter and the timing belt done, I would wager that it's been minded. Of course I can't know what's been done but there you go.

Ok that's still 25k miles of little service history apart from the tb being changed which at 110k miles it was close to needing anyway.

Call me suspicious, but new tyres and cabin filter, and just passed NCT suggest to me, that over those 25k miles, and 2 years, not a huge amount has been done, apart from that needed to get it through the NCT.

Ok that's still 25k miles of little service history apart from the tb being changed which at 110k miles it was close to needing anyway.

Call me suspicious, but new tyres and cabin filter, and just passed NCT suggest to me, that over those 25k miles, and 2 years, not a huge amount has been done, apart from that needed to get it through the NCT.

You can't know there's not a service history with it for that 25k miles and I'd put my money on there being one. Just passed NCT? It was done over 4 months at this stage...

I'd be interested to know what it's like these days anyway. Miss that car alot really, the 159 is a decent car and does exactly what's needed of it and all that but it really lacks what the 166 had.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RJ, 166man, I suggest the two of you ignore each other for the time being.

If you guys have a problem with anothers post you can report it, and we can take care of it.

You can't know there's not a service history with it for that 25k miles and I'd put my money on there being one. Just passed NCT? It was done over 4 months at this stage...

I'd be interested to know what it's like these days anyway. Miss that car alot really, the 159 is a decent car and does exactly what's needed of it and all that but it really lacks what the 166 had.

I'd nearly put money on there not being as it's not mentioned in the ad though :) No mention of a service history if I am looking for an alfa, and I don't even bother ringing or emailing, there are enough out there where the sellers provide that information, and understand how it differentiates their cars to buyers.

The ad says Just passed NCT then Aug 2014 and the ad was only posted in November, so I read it as "the NCT was done recently and is valid to Aug 2014"

This is ridiculous, I made it clear I had no intention of getting into conversation and I won't be. I posted a favourite car of mine and ended up getting attacked over it, what's new though..:pac:

This is ridiculous, I made it clear I had no intention of getting into conversation and I won't be. I posted a favourite car of mine and ended up getting attacked over it, what's new though..:pac:

Eh I certainly didn't mean to attack you with any of my posts? And to be honest, I find it hard to see how you could feel I was attacking you?

I'd be probably as big an alfa fan as you, and I do think the points I've made are very objective in relation to that car and it's recent history, no personal slight intended whatsoever, more my observations based on my experience of going out there and buying several older alfas?

Eh I certainly didn't mean to attack you with any of my posts? And to be honest, I find it hard to see how you could feel I was attacking you?

I'd be probably as big an alfa fan as you, and I do think the points I've made are very objective in relation to that car and it's recent history, no personal slight intended whatsoever, more my observations based on my experience of going out there and buying several older alfas?

I wasn't referring to you. :)

I think your points are valid absolutely. There's chance that there's no service history at all with that car for the last 25k miles and if there isn't, I'd be extremely wary for sure.

However, I know that car and it's history up to 85k miles. On top of that it's had the ''ABS,water pump and timing belt done'' along with new tyres and a cabin filter. It's also passed the NCT until August 2014. Now I understand the NCT isn't great, but surely it means the suspension,emissions and overall safety of the vehicle is acceptable. Also from the pictures I see no cosmetic damage whatsoever.

All of the above would lead me to believe that there is a strong chance it has been maintained well. I could be very wrong though...:o:D

I wasn't referring to you. :)

I think your points are valid absolutely. There's chance that there's no service history at all with that car for the last 25k miles and if there isn't, I'd be extremely wary for sure.

However, I know that car and it's history up to 85k miles. On top of that it's had the ''ABS,water pump and timing belt done'' along with new tyres and a cabin filter. It's also passed the NCT until August 2014. Now I understand the NCT isn't great, but surely it means the suspension,emissions and overall safety of the vehicle is acceptable. Also from the pictures I see no cosmetic damage whatsoever.

All of the above would lead me to believe that there is a strong chance it has been maintained well. I could be very wrong though...:o:D

Ah ok.

I've no faith in the NCT when it comes to cars to be honest, it's a cursory check that takes 40 odd minutes. I'd a steering rack fail on my 156 6 weeks after an NCT, and the last NCT they firstly missed a suspension issue on my gtv and caught it the second time.

Why not ring, then go and test drive it? You'll know if there are suspension issues in the front with the wishbones if you can hear any creaking etc, and you'll be able to check the service history too, with no obligation to buy it?

Ah ok.

I've no faith in the NCT when it comes to cars to be honest, it's a cursory check that takes 40 odd minutes. I'd a steering rack fail on my 156 6 weeks after an NCT, and the last NCT they firstly missed a suspension issue on my gtv and caught it the second time.

Why not ring, then go and test drive it? You'll know if there are suspension issues in the front with the wishbones if you can hear any creaking etc, and you'll be able to check the service history too, with no obligation to buy it?

Fair enough, the NCT can be a bit of a joke but I would still stand by my earlier post. I texted the seller asking about the history, it will be interesting to see what he says.

I'd love that 166, but as a student already running a relatively expensive car at the moment, it would be a slight push too far. Maybe in a few years..:D

• Advertisement

With my heart set on a TT I go and see this on donedeal...http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4082570 looks so clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

With my heart set on a TT I go and see this on donedeal...http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4082570 looks so clean!

I'd have that over a TT

I really want to have a turbo car though, especially with so much power. The tts in Ireland look quite rough though, I have a feeling they could be a money pit.

That mx5 says nothing about an nct or tax though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I really want to have a turbo car though, especially with so much power. The tts in Ireland look quite rough though, I have a feeling they could be a money pit.

Fella in work beside me has one and its a total moneypit,in and out of the garage constantly

Nicest mx5 I've ever seen online

turbo laaaaad

I've nowhere indoors to store a hard top though. Theres a corsa opc just after going on dd too which is interesting to me. It's 7.2k which is more than I'm willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No issues with turboing a standard MX5, I was on a spin along side this one the other night.
    I can guarantee you, it has plenty of power. :eek:

You really have to see it in person to appreciate it, unreal car.

And I can't forget this, I'd prefer this to the TT. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4113421

I have my license for 3 and a half years. I have 2 years as a named driver and 1 on my own and halfway through a second. With Aviva online I can get a quote for 1100 on the Cupra if I have 3 years named and none on my own, but can't get insured with what I have :( worth my while ring them up? Do any insurance companies take named years into account once you go on your own? Cos liberty don't and by the looks of it Aviva don't either.

Is the first picture suggesting it's a right pussy manget? :P

Ring them up. Anyone that takes named experience equal to NCB should... It's worth a few quid to find out tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

i must find mats... stupid mats in the crv piss me off and look shtie.

so far i have this tailored-carmats.co.uk site for 25 sterling.

cant really find better than that.

will have a go at honda tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement