Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Great place, mad how cheap everything is though! Have you been to Auschwitz yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Everything is fastastically cheap but I'm sure the wages here definitely reflect that. I was there on Saturday, didn't effect me at all if I'm honest, thought Sachsenhausen was a much more poignant place.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

And it's time to leave Krakow so naturally I have a very very :( face today. Great country, great people.
    guttenberg wrote: »
    Great place, mad how cheap everything is though! Have you been to Auschwitz yet?

Planning on going to Krakow in March for three nights. Any hotel in particular you would recommend? Not motors related at all i know:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I'm not one to complain, but it seems Done Deal is really busy..
    Ooops, we are Really Busy

dgt wrote: »
    Is the fuel filter diesel or petrol? Fiat don't use petrol fuel filters anymore, it's a recirculation system...

A diesel filter for 80 quid is a ridiculous sum of money. Although if anything like the TD75/TD100, they'll be a pig to change!

I think 166man's 156 (tongue twister) is non turbo diesel.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well 17" are the plan, its probably gonna save me a boatload of hassle by getting them first - nice one! :)

There's a chap on FF with Porsche wheels on his! Will find the picture once I'm off mobile.

EDIT: Found it!

554687_10151137373143908_1011199745_n.jpg

Savage man, I'd say a white set of them would go really well with the blue on your car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Well, I finally passed the driving test. L plates will be burnt in a ceremony later. Cocktails mandatory.

His 156 is petrol, the 159 is turbo diesel.
    Confab wrote: »
    Well, I finally passed the driving test. L plates will be burnt in a ceremony later. Cocktails mandatory.
    Well done confab :)

So tempted...

00 Saab 95 Aero

Full-16547984.jpeg

A bit too cheap for an Aero and it's been up before for a month in another ad. I suspect if I went to see it there'd be top end noises...

No mention of nct.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

Congrats man. I must have a go at the driving test soon. :o

RoverJames wrote: »
    His 156 is petrol, the 159 is turbo diesel.

Well done confab :)

Ah right, apologies , to many cars to keep track off. What do you drive RJ? :) It's not an MG, is it?

RoverJames wrote: »
    No mention of nct.

That explains why it's so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Oh mega burn on 166man there!
    :pac:

Matt Simis wrote: »

It was a wild guess.. :p

My bad, 166man :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

166man wrote: »
    I myself was surprised at the extra hour of labour there, I thought the fitting of the fuel filter and pollen filter would be included in the service package. I took a look at the prices of the above parts and he seems to be making himself a nice margin on some of the items. Pollen filter on Micksgarage is €22, he charged €50.

I dunno really, just seemed a bit expensive to me for a run of the mill service. Nothing was wrong with the car just wanted to get it serviced.

And considering the mechanic probably gets a trade discount, that €22 is probably higher than he paid.

That pricing is horrendous.

Congrats on the test Confab :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well 17" are the plan, its probably gonna save me a boatload of hassle by getting them first - nice one! :)

There's a chap on FF with Porsche wheels on his! Will find the picture once I'm off mobile.

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/554687_10151137373143908_1011199745_n.jpg

Nice :D

4x100 to 5x130 isn't overly difficult as you have the room to play with :)

Would a set of deep dish wheels suit do you think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Is the fuel filter diesel or petrol? Fiat don't use petrol fuel filters anymore, it's a recirculation system...

A diesel filter for 80 quid is a ridiculous sum of money. Although if anything like the TD75/TD100, they'll be a pig to change!

T'is a diesel engine in the 159 Wagon. I don't know the prices of any of the parts off hand anyway but it seemed expensive when I looked at the invoice....:o

Oh my days...:pac:
    Matt Simis wrote: »

Totes mega burn right there... I feel ill at the thought of a non-turbo diesel 156... Petril all the way!
    It was a wild guess.. :p

My bad, 166man :D

Lol, gave me a laugh anyway...:D

Stheno wrote: »
    And considering the mechanic probably gets a trade discount, that €22 is probably higher than he paid.

That pricing is horrendous.

Congrats on the test Confab :)

Yeah exactly, I'm sure he'd have paid less, so it looks like quite a tidy margin. Still, we have been with him for quite a while and the work is always excellent, it's nice to give the business to the independent mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

T'is a diesel engine in the 159 Wagon. I don't know the prices of any of the parts off hand anyway but it seemed expensive when I looked at the invoice....:o

Approx €18 for a filter down here, that's a stupid mark up imo a 406 diesel filter by contrast is £2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yeah exactly, I'm sure he'd have paid less, so it looks like quite a tidy margin. Still, we have been with him for quite a while and the work is always excellent, it's nice to give the business to the independent mechanic.

Plenty of other good indy mechanics. Just because you go there a lot isn't an excuse to accept being ripped off.

Totes mega burn right there... I feel ill at the thought of a non-turbo diesel 156... Petril all the way!

Learn something new everyday. :)

Lol, gave me a laugh anyway...:D

I'm delighted. :)

Approx €18 for a filter down here, that's a stupid mark up imo a 406 diesel filter by contrast is £2

€18?? He paid €80 for the part alone! My god that is being ripped off.
    Plenty of other good indy mechanics. Just because you go there a lot isn't an excuse to accept being ripped off.

Didn't know what the bill was until all the work had been carried out. Never got the impression of being ripped off before either. He works on all three Alfa's and his work is excellent but the prices of these parts is crazy.
    Learn something new everyday. :)

I'm delighted. :)

Also I don't think there ever was a non-turbo diesel Alfa, the only non-turbo diesel I can think off produced relatively recently was the Volkswagen SDI engine which was a 2.0 litre diesel with 68ish BHP. Slow as feck but supposed to be economical and reliable..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

734197_10151247782042333_1251956881_n.jpg

A mates Focus, he hit a pillar. They only want €240 for a repair which I find hard to believe, I would have thought €600+ ?

Also I don't think there ever was a non-turbo diesel Alfa, the only non-turbo diesel I can think off produced relatively recently was the Volkswagen SDI engine which was a 2.0 litre diesel with 68ish BHP. Slow as feck but supposed to be economical and reliable..

Ya, there was also a 1.7sdi engine from Vw which is used in the Lupo. 1.9sdi is used in the bora, golf, polo and the Vw caddy van as well. :)

EDIT: The SEAT Ibiza, Leon, Cordoba and inca (van) all use the 1.9 SDI also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

166man - you should learn how to service the car yourself rather than relying on someone else let alone being ripped off by someone else. Buy all the parts from the local motor factors (you'll know the price then) and DIY. Servicing a car isn't so hard that someone would need to go to a mechanic for it.

Voodoo - if they repaird it for €240 I'd say it'd be crap. Possibly a few packs of chewing gum stuck into the dent then sprayed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Voodoo - if they repaird it for €240 I'd say it'd be crap. Possibly a few packs of chewing gum stuck into the dent then sprayed :pac:

So its not just me? I thought €300-400 for paint for that whole panel alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nope, you're right. It's a big panel which would more than likely have to be painted from shutline to shutline meaning the paint would be a fairly expensive part of this repair.

166man - you should learn how to service the car yourself rather than relying on someone else let alone being ripped off by someone else. Buy all the parts from the local motor factors (you'll know the price then) and DIY. Servicing a car isn't so hard that someone would need to go to a mechanic for it.

I would service it if I knew how to! Also because it's his car and not mine, I usually just let it be because I wouldn't have the confidence to tackle it myself and would be concerned about doing something the wrong way or forgetting something and there be a problem with the car.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with the prices so I let him be tbh. I however think they are expensive alright!

@Voodoo, €240 couldn't possibly be right for that kind of repair, sure thats only a few hours labour let alone, parts paint and some kind of margin built it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have to agree with you voodoo that will be a sh1te job the panel is too badly damaged for a E240 repair, unless the person doing it owes him a favor, it will be sh1t.
    But then if your mate is happy paying somebody peanuts, expect monkeys to do the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement