Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Stheno wrote: »
    The first three aren't massive jobs.
    Brake line one sounds silly to me?
    How bad is the corrosion?

Yeah, I went straight to the mechanic for an estimate (has to get back to me) and the two lads there looked confused at why they failed me on that.
    It doesn't seem bad at all, they said they'd probably put a steel plate in it. The garage owner's dad is a retired panel beater so they're getting him to have a look at it.

Hopefully it wont be too much, I'm broke as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Priests' socks??

Ah jayziz, there's always one :pac:

Not quite the recording I was looking for but you get the idea...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah jayziz, there's always one :pac:

Not quite the recording I was looking for but you get the idea...

Ah Father Ted.

Awful stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The first three aren't massive jobs.
    Brake line one sounds silly to me?
    How bad is the corrosion?

Airbag failures can range from 10min fix to hundreds of euro and hours.

Matt Simis wrote: »

Well the light's gone very dim so I'll need a new bulb to start and then we're thinking (hoping) it's just loose connections under the drivers seat. A common problem with the car.

Hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Matt Simis wrote: »

Sorry that's me assuming that the most likely cause is the loose connectors under the seat issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

CianRyan wrote: »
    Well the light's gone very dim so I'll need a new bulb to start and then we're thinking (hoping) it's just loose connections under the drivers seat. A common problem with the car.

Hoping...

This seems to be such a common problem on so many cars! Probably best to eliminate the connectors altogether and just solder the wires together. Did this years ago on a Citroen and fixed the problem.

Redisle wrote: »
    This seems to be such a common problem on so many cars! Probably best to eliminate the connectors altogether and just solder the wires together. Did this years ago on a Citroen and fixed the problem.

Hmm, there's an idea.
    It could do with a wire tuck while it's being done too, I'm constantly grabbing the bloody thing instead of the rail lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

rang aviva and they said the way around my problem was just put in that ive 3 years on my own. so now i can get quotes for opc astras for 1250 and mx5 for the same ish and 225 tts for 1100! surely cant be right!

rang aviva and they said the way around my problem was just put in that ive 3 years on my own. so now i can get quotes for opc astras for 1250 and mx5 for the same ish and 225 tts for 1100! surely cant be right!

Good lord kid, be very careful. You might get quotes but if you go ahead with the cover, you don't actually have 3 years on your own.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Hmm, there's an idea.
    It could do with a wire tuck while it's being done too, I'm constantly grabbing the bloody thing instead of the rail lever.

I got mine soldered too, drove me nuts so they did.

You'll still need to get the codes reset, once you confirm it's the wires under the seat issue

Ardennes, that sounds good though?

Good lord kid, be very careful. You might get quotes but if you go ahead with the cover, you don't actually have 3 years on your own.

They'll want the proof before they will issue cover surely? So the NCB and the named drivers would both have to be submitted?

I've only ever had to submit NCB when changing insurance companies, never had submit the named driving except for when I got my full licence and bought my first car.

oh dont worry id be very sure. he said named exp and insurance in your own name make no difference to aviva, they are classed asa the same. and i have 2 named and 1 on my own. now to ring liberty and ask what can they do :P

Maybe/maybe not overkill but if you do decide to go with Aviva, make sure you get your man's name and make a note of the date and that he told you that in case something happens in the future.

i have it written already :) i might ring back and ask for it in writing?

Good idea, most of the time they'll email it to you as well

Do whatever you can to cover yourself. Get it emailed, posted, texted, telegram'd, radioed, pigeon carriered, televised, couriered and whispered to you :D

ok i rang up and asked her again and did a full quote. it does go up at the end when you specify the exact make but i can officially with no issues get insured on the 225 cupra r for 1600 comp.

and 100% i can put in 3 years ncb on my own even though i only have 2 named and 1 on my own. might be worth looking for others on here. she said i can get insured on anything up to a 5liter once its not high performance when i have 3 or more years ncb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Not into soldering things that will be flexing.
    But if you do - art least cable tie or tape either side of the joint to something that won't move - I've never seen a soldered wire survive much flexing.
    I had to undo someone else's piss poor airbag "fix" when she got her Mini. A labrador would have managed a better job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm with Aviva and experienced the same. Have that in writing too.

Definitely get them to send you it all in writing. But it seems to mirror what happened with me.

it just made my buying job much harder! now im opened up to astra opcs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

it just made my buying job much harder! now im opened up to astra opcs

Well if you can get insured in them, then you should be able to get insured in anything!

I'm with them also ( through a broker) 788 in a Tt also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This actually brought out a bit of road rage* in me this morning...

yoloughh.jpg

*I obviously did absolutely nothing apart from mutter some insults under my breath, but christ sometimes things just make me angry. :P

If you only live once, why drive an accent?
    KILL ALL THAT YOLO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

All this talk of NCT tests just reminded me that I need to put the Peugeot through shortly.....:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

This just happened to the brother in law's van.
    600087_443803779009313_2072892979_n.jpg
    Am I right in thinking that there must have being serious damage to the sidewall for it to totally blow out.

tuborg_man wrote: »
    This just happened to the brother in law's van.

Am I right in thinking that there must have being serious damage to the sidewall for it to totally blow out.

:eek: Or it was a cheap tyre with weak sidewalls.

How old was the tyre?

Did he manage to stop safely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

:eek: Or it was a cheap tyre with weak sidewalls.

How old was the tyre?

Did he manage to stop safely?

the van couldve being over loaded ?

or hit a bad hole or something on the road ?

• Advertisement

the van couldve being over loaded ?

or hit a bad hole or something on the road ?

Yeah I hit something one right on the road to Rosslare with no lights, and the tyre imploded :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement