Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

She is for sale lads any takers? :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4437744

View2-16868523.jpeg

Wouldnt go down too well in my neck of the woods;)

Edit: (the home of hurling ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its only funny cos its got a wexford reg :p

I know well.. :D

pred racer wrote: »
    Wouldnt go down too well in my neck of the woods;)

Maybe not in tipp, but it would be good craic in Paris...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Typical! The year I have the MPS, no snow. Then I go back to RWD and what do we have?? feckin' cocaine everywhere!!

You should be praising this opportunity! :cool:

Matt Simis wrote: »

Too true, its snowing like fook in Paris and all I've got to play with is a bloody diesel clio.

(really should have drove my boss to the airport and hung on to his 730)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Need new tyres all round but especially on the back :o

NCT next month and I'm having trouble finding part worns because I don't have the money to buy a full new set at the moment.

Need new tyres all round but especially on the back :o

NCT next month and I'm having trouble finding part worns because I don't have the money to buy a full new set at the moment.

What size you need? You can get creative with the dimensions as long as the overall diameter is roughly maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Give it a bitta stretch thar laaaaaaaad.

What size you need? You can get creative with the dimensions as long as the overall diameter is roughly maintained.

255/35/18

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Cant wait to take the car out for a drive later.

How is it going for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What the..... Why all the snow about yet none on the roads? :(

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Going grand, trying to fix a few rattle bits of trim. Also not used to the fuel consumption of a Turbo car :pac: However having heated seats in this weather is proving very useful.

Ah sure what about it, you only live once so enjoy it. :) Lovely car it is as well.

dgt wrote: »
    What the..... Why all the snow about yet none on the roads? :(

Nice profile sig. :D

255/35/18

That is an awkward size, but my Tire App and Googling (specifically 335i) suggests 245-40-18 fits perfect. Some people go as far as to switch to a squared set (245-40-18 front and rear), removes the "designed in" understeer. 245s are just 2.5% off baseline, ie ok.

Alternatively as a stock like staggered setup 235-40-18 matches up to the 245s with only a 1.2% difference. Anything under 3% is fine.
    The very slightly narrower width (on rear) will be better in snow, water etc and ever so slightly worse in dry off the line stuff, but a 245 with thread is vastly better than a 255 without, no matter the width. I went from 275 to 265 to 255 on the rear and Ive never had as much control and grip as with my new Falkens at 255 width but 2.7bar pressure.

Both those tyre sizes are very popular (on BMWs at least) you should have no problem getting them.

Can I go with 245 front and rear? Front is meant to be 225/40/18

Can I go with 245 front and rear? Front is meant to be 225/40/18

Yeah thats what I was saying with the "squared" setup. The 535d for instance comes with a squared 245-40-18 setup from factory. 225-40-18 will match up fine (ie if you have them already dont worry) but 235-40-18 is a closer match and also sitting right in the middle of staggered vs squared setups, its what I would do.

Yeah thats what I was saying with the "squared" setup. The 535d for instance comes with a squared 245-40-18 setup from factory. 225-40-18 will match up fine (ie if you have them already dont worry) but 235-40-18 is a closer match and also sitting right in the middle of staggered vs squared setups, its what I would do.

Thanks for that man!

Ideally, I would like my current tyres to just get through the NCT then I will buy new tyres from Camskill. They're coming in a lot cheaper than any of the places I have priced here. I also have someone who will fit and balance them for me and do the tracking.

Even with the fitting/balancing and tracking included, it's all still a lot cheaper by nearly €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for that man!

Ideally, I would like my current tyres to just get through the NCT then I will buy new tyres from Camskill. They're coming in a lot cheaper than any of the places I have priced here. I also have someone who will fit and balance them for me and do the tracking.

Even with the fitting/balancing and tracking included, it's all still a lot cheaper by nearly €100!

If you are really stuck and just want something to get through the NCT, my summers are sitting in the garage at the moment. 245/40/18 with plenty of tread, but not exactly what you'd want to be putting on the rear of a 335 ;)

I'm not sure we'll get through tonight without further snow and I've to be somewhere very important at 07.30 in the morning, so a big thanks go to Crosbie's for getting the Subaru Legacy up from Cork for me to take. Winters on the 5 Series were OK this morning, but still don't fancy it with precious cargo on board.

Just hope there is some meat left on the Scooby tyres.

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you are really stuck and just want something to get through the NCT, my summers are sitting in the garage at the moment. 245/40/18 with plenty of tread, but not exactly what you'd want to be putting on the rear of a 335 ;).

What brand are they? Run-flats?

I don't know does it make a difference to have runflats on the front and not on the back but my opinion is no but still not a good idea to have a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What brand are they? Run-flats?

I don't know does it make a difference to have runflats on the front and not on the back but my opinion is no but still not a good idea to have a mixture of both.

Non Runflats (have the spare in the boot), would rather not disclose the brand :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

With all due respect, I've always been surprised how many people buy a car, biiiiiiiiiig rims and can't afford tyres after that. :o

joujoujou wrote: »
    With all due respect, I've always been surprised how many people buy a car, biiiiiiiiiig rims and can't afford tyres after that. :o

I think in this case, its can't afford tyres right now.

But in general, you're dead right, fur coat, no knickers brigade:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do I have to even say it?:p

Predictable much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Old books?

Here's one...
    Image2548_zps4cfa5f23.jpg

Too right I'm blocking the name and address out ;)

All the way from....
    Image2549_zps5d8d78ed.jpg

Stupid blurry camera! :mad: 1967 :)

joujoujou wrote: »

Well considering that I have to fork out €1500 for tax in February, an extra €700 on top of that isn't something I can afford in one month.

And, they're not biiiiiig at all, they're only 18" and they are the OE factory rims.

Stheno wrote: »
    Predictable much?

Always, its a side effect of having a personality as deep as a puddle:D

Btw, any update on the alfa spray job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well considering that I have to fork out €1500 for tax in February, an extra €700 on top of that isn't something I can afford in one month.

And, they're not biiiiiig at all, they're only 18" and they are the OE factory rims.

18's are almost standard size rims these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Anyone here from Kerry? Danny Healy-Rae wants those out in the sticks to be allowed to drink drive legally:eek:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/Kerry-Councillors-call-for-permits-to-allow-rural-drink-driving

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Always, its a side effect of having a personality as deep as a puddle:D

Btw, any update on the alfa spray job?

Nah I've to get around to doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Just noticed that some scumbag reversed into my car last night, pushed the light and the grill way in under the bonnet, looks terrible. Just before I try and sell it to buy a new car this week. Typical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement