Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Quick question, where I live there are two houses sharing an entrance that leads to both driveways where cars are parked.

If one car was turning in off the road to get to their driveway and another car was reversing out and the collided who'd be responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As far as I know, the car reversing would be responsible but I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As far as I know, the car reversing would be responsible but I'm open to correction.

I thought the same, coming in off the road tonight I'd to blast the hour as my idiot neighbour didn't bother looking where he was going and nearly went into me.

Feckwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As someone who sat his driving test relatively recently, it still amazes me those who can't drive on the motorway. Prime example being the lady in the '08 Corsa sitting in the outside lane at an estimated 80km/h. No amount of flashing from the BMW driver would make her pull in. Unreal stuff.

in other news, got the parking light bulbs fixed for the NCT today so its another thing off the list of things to do, however, the drivers side windscreen washer jet has stopped working yet the passenger side is fine, I tried the pin in the jet to clear it but it didn't work, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »
    As someone who sat his driving test relatively recently, it still amazes me those who can't drive on the motorway. Prime example being the lady in the '08 Corsa sitting in the outside lane at an estimated 80km/h. No amount of flashing from the BMW driver would make her pull in. Unreal stuff.

in other news, got the parking light bulbs fixed for the NCT today so its another thing off the list of things to do, however, the drivers side windscreen washer jet has stopped working yet the passenger side is fine, I tried the pin in the jet to clear it but it didn't work, any ideas?

This might be gone
    7787593.jpg

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »

Is there much water in the reservoir? You could try filling it up and seeing if a good long blast will clear some gunk that might be blocking it.

Otherwise you might have to check the line where it goes under the bonnet to see if there is any blockage in it or anything lose.

It's a fail for the drivers side, but not for the passenger side.

My local shop accidentally double charged me a few weeks ago, and refunded no hassle after they'd checked it.
    Went in there tonight, and they had a 1kg tin of biscuits for me as an apology. :) Somebody will eat them :D

@ dgt, what be that part? Would my beast child have one? My passenger side is gone :rolleyes:

OSI wrote: »
    Not something I want to encourage, but if you can't get it fixed before the NCT, just empty the tank of water. For some reason it's a fail if there's water and it doesn't work, but if there's not water they don't test it and its not a fail. Mind boggles.

Seriously?

OSI wrote: »
    Yep

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] I have to fork out €1500 for tax in February, [...]
    No, you don't. There's no such quarterly paid motortax rate.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    18's are almost standard size rims these days.
    In your opinion. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

joujoujou wrote: »

Some people don't like to pay quarterly, myself included, why should I pay extra if I can just about squeeze the annual rate

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

"Don't like" does not mean "have to".

€1494 would be €1688 annually if paid quarterly, thats a big difference. If I can avoid it I will.

MarkMc wrote: »
    €1494 would be €1688 annually if paid quarterly, thats a big difference. If I can avoid it I will.

Yep, it's one thing in the lower bands, but almost 200e extra? That's a quarters tax for me.

Unregistered Users

I understand that point of view. But, if I have to choose - pay annual rate of motortax or be safer - choice is obvious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I understand that point of view. But, if I have to choose - pay annual rate of motortax or be safer - choice is obvious. :)

It's not as if MMs tyres are bald. He's just seeing if he can get an extra couple of weeks so that he can pay for the tyres when his wallet has recuperated after paying his tax.
    He's not exactly the type to scrimp on tyres.

I highly doubt his tyres are even near unsafe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

He's a car with over 300bhp he ain't going to be getting cheap tyres, was he not asking about very good part worns?
    Do NCT then get a full set?

Unregistered Users

OK, I don't want to fight against anyone, so just to clarify:

If
    I highly doubt his tyres are even near unsafe tbh.
    then why he's in need to buy at least
    coolisin wrote: »
    [...] very good part worns?
    Do NCT then get a full set?

If his tyres are not able to pass NCT on, it's more than likely they're not even near safe. ;)

I hope I'm wrong and there's another explanation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Did top gear do a review of the celica 7th gen 190? Something in my head is telling me I remember seeing it but google is showing nothing only a review of the older gen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

He's being careful I'd imagine to ensure his tyres are good as his current ones are approaching end of life.
    I'd imagine he is being overly cautious.

I'd imagine there is more thread on his tyres then a lot of tyres out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did top gear do a review of the celica 7th gen 190? Something in my head is telling me I remember seeing it but google is showing nothing only a review of the older gen one.

They mention it as competition in Vicky bh's mitsubishi FTO review

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If

If his tyres are not able to pass NCT on, it's more than likely they're not even near safe. ;)

I hope I'm wrong and there's another explanation. :)

I think his main reason is because he wants to get rid of the run flats as soon as possible.

Getting pedantic about the paying tax for the year is just a tad silly as well...

Anyone that pays more than a grand a year in tax is better off paying it one time. Unfortunately our system punishes you if you don't and not only by a minimal amount either.

I never said there was such a quarterly paid motortax rate. I never once mentioned a thing about paying quarterly.

Yes the choice is very obvious - pay yearly which is exactly what I'm doing.

If

My tyres are nowhere near bald. They will pass the NCT but if I check them before the NCT and I think they won't pass then I will change them. With that said, the main reason I want to change them is as dar and others have said, I want to get rid of the run flats.

I don't know you and you don't know me but yet you have made a fair few assumptions here based on what I said and you got each one wrong. Be careful in future and you won't have anyone "fighting" with you.

Was it the older gt or gt4 google throws up? Wouldn't mind a looksee at that, loved my Celica :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was it the older gt or gt4 google throws up? Wouldn't mind a looksee at that, loved my Celica :)

Talk about a toyota fanboi :rolleyes: :pac:

Talk about a toyota fanboi :rolleyes: :pac:

:eek::eek::eek:

Ah here now give over, I loved Celicas when I was younger until Veronica Guerin got shot.

I'd still like one but not as much as other cars. I reckon they'd be fierce reliable :D

Stheno wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Ah here now give over, I loved Celicas when I was younger until Veronica Guerin got shot.

I'd still like one but not as much as other cars. I reckon they'd be fierce reliable :D

Didn't Veronica Guerin drive a Peugeot 406 coupe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Didn't Veronica Guerin drive a Peugeot 406 coupe???

Vauxhall Calibra

veronica-guerin-car.jpg

They filmed part of the film about the shooting in Naaaaaaaaaavan :)

dgt wrote: »
    Vauxhall Calibra

Close enough :P

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Vauxhall Calibra

veronica-guerin-car.jpg

They filmed part of the film about the shooting in Naaaaaaaaaavan :)
    Close enough :P

Jaysis, I thought it was a Celica :eek:

I blame the Alzheimers/knee injury/brain rot

/puts celica back on list of "nice cars"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement