Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

joujoujou wrote: »
    No, you don't. There's no such quarterly paid motortax rate.
    In your opinion. :P

Prove me wrong.

Better still try prove yourself right and fail (again). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

RoverJames wrote: »
    Was it the older gt or gt4 google throws up? Wouldn't mind a looksee at that, loved my Celica :)
    I remember now it wasnt the celica that was reviewed at all it was an Elise using the vvtli engine!
    I knew i remember JC going on about the second power band after ~6000k :)

did you have an mr2 turbo before RJ? the rev3s look like great value nowadays! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I miss heated mirrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stheno wrote: »
    Jaysis, I thought it was a Celica :eek:

I blame the Alzheimers/knee injury/brain rot

/puts celica back on list of "nice cars"
    The scumbag Carol one in fair city had a celica though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I like mornings like this...

208246_10151209346877327_772790671_n.jpg

Cosy! :)

• Advertisement

Whats the blank for? heated steering wheel? feckin wussy!

:o:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I only really made use of the heated seats this week. Usually they are used on a hot summers day - I'd turn the passo one on and see how long it'd take before my car guest would start flinching with the heat :pac:

did you have an mr2 turbo before RJ? the rev3s look like great value nowadays! :o

Nope, 95 ss2 Celica, superstrut and LSD type yoke in it, 5 years ago now since I had that.
    Mr2 turbo would be nice alright

hard to find a clean one. there are two nice enough white ones for sale at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

langdang wrote: »
    I miss heated mirrors!

The heated mirrors in my car only work on one side, along with the elec mirrors! That is, they worked till a few months ago, no heated rear window or mirrors any more!

The gremlins just get worse and worse... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

OSI wrote: »
    I pretty much use the heated seats constantly. It's a rare day I don't use them.

I'd be the same, they can really help on longer journeys. Excellent this morning starting the car, going down to open the gate and the leather being warm by the time I drove off.

OSI wrote: »
    I pretty much use the heated seats constantly. It's a rare day I don't use them.

That's not good for the, er, little fellas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

She is mighty cold outside lad!

And I was expecting it to be better... Anyway, roads looked very dodgy at 4:45 today, but not a slip or dodgy situation. I wonder how bad it will get tomorrow.

Whats the blank for? heated steering wheel? feckin wussy!

:o:)

It's generally where the ESP switch is. But being awesome, I don't need it. :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »
    It's generally where the ESP switch is. But being poor, I couldn't afford it. :cool:

:pac:

FYP :D

FYP :D

How are those tyres you cant afford right now? ;)

I might buy some and build a nice warm fire for a homeless person... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »
    How are those tyres you cant afford right now? ;)

I might buy some and build a nice warm fire for a homeless person... :pac:

LOL :D

Touché! Well played sir :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The wicklow and Sally gap are currently in-passable due to snow fall and should be avoided blablabalbalabla

So after hearing this on the radio etc over the last couple of days myself and a friend decided last night to prove them wrong. And what better car to do it in that a '93 Toyota Starlet jap import (1331cc 4 speed). The only modifications to the car was two (worn) winter tyres on the front, massive spotlights and ehhhhh a rope in the boot:p.
    The bottom of the road leading up to the gap was a hive of activity, loads of people out looking tough in their jeeps doing "real off road stuff", there were people in cars sliding everywhere and a couple on scramblers too. As we followed them up towards the sappy gap they all turned back at various points, however the two of us in the starlet just kept on going. As we got closer to the gap the track got rougher and rougher. The high area between the ruts was constantly scraping off the floor and the track itself was very bumpy. At this point my friend who was driving basically had to keep it flat the whole time or we would get stuck so we were going about 50km/h and jumping the car off one bump and then landing and smashing through the next one with the snow flying over the windscreen. It was proper
    Then about 200m from the actual crossroads at the gap we got stuck:(. The ruts were just too deep for the starlet so we were beached :o. We tried to get ourselves out but we were properly stuck. However we could see people at the crossroads so we flashed our lights and it turned out to be a lad with a winch on his land-cruiser. He said he had been going up there in the winter for years and had never seen a car get so far, he got straight on the radio to tell the people he was working with that he was now winching out a starlet:pac:. About 5mins before us a discovery 3 was winched out of the same spot we were in.
    So even though we didn't make it to the gap by ourselves we came pretty close and got some funny looks from people in far more suitable cars/jeeps. probably if we had 3 inches more ground clearance we would have made it all the way, but even so it was by far the most fun we ever had in a car and it'll definitely be a story that I'll tell about "Back when I was young and stupid..."

tl;dr: Snow+Sally gap+starlet=:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    So after hearing this on the radio etc over the last couple of days myself and a friend decided last night to prove them wrong. And what better car to do it in that a '93 Toyota Starlet jap import (1331cc 4 speed). The only modifications to the car was two (worn) winter tyres on the front, massive spotlights and ehhhhh a rope in the boot:p.
    The bottom of the road leading up to the gap was a hive of activity, loads of people out looking tough in their jeeps doing "real off road stuff", there were people in cars sliding everywhere and a couple on scramblers too. As we followed them up towards the sappy gap they all turned back at various points, however the two of us in the starlet just kept on going. As we got closer to the gap the track got rougher and rougher. The high area between the ruts was constantly scraping off the floor and the track itself was very bumpy. At this point my friend who was driving basically had to keep it flat the whole time or we would get stuck so we were going about 50km/h and jumping the car off one bump and then landing and smashing through the next one with the snow flying over the windscreen. It was proper
    Then about 200m from the actual crossroads at the gap we got stuck:(. The ruts were just too deep for the starlet so we were beached :o. We tried to get ourselves out but we were properly stuck. However we could see people at the crossroads so we flashed our lights and it turned out to be a lad with a winch on his land-cruiser. He said he had been going up there in the winter for years and had never seen a car get so far, he got straight on the radio to tell the people he was working with that he was now winching out a starlet:pac:. About 5mins before us a discovery 3 was winched out of the same spot we were in.
    So even though we didn't make it to the gap by ourselves we came pretty close and got some funny looks from people in far more suitable cars/jeeps. probably if we had 3 inches more ground clearance we would have made it all the way, but even so it was by far the most fun we ever had in a car and it'll definitely be a story that I'll tell about "Back when I was young and stupid..."

Epic:D

I love that attitude, "you cant get a car up there"

......... Wanna bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Aw the starlet, the best thing since sliced pan. :cool:

• Advertisement

Just brilliant, I love the "screw what everyone else thinks" attitude :D

Top marks DZ! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've been dying to give this a go, worst time ever for my car to be broken. :(

Can someone throw up a linky to doogle maps on where that road is?

Just out of curiosity, not going there today, I have stuff to do :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    Can someone throw up a linky to doogle maps on where that road is?

Just out of curiosity, not going there today, I have stuff to do :pac:

Here you are, sir.
    Enjoy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

dgt wrote: »

The heated mirrors in my car only work on one side, along with the elec mirrors! That is, they worked till a few months ago, no heated rear window or mirrors any more!

The gremlins just get worse and worse... :(
    Ah yeah, you'll have that...
    mine were jap, they just worked. ;-)

Sounds like good craic DZ, good to throw sensible out the window every now and then...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

One of the best posts i've read in a while - love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've been dying to give this a go, worst time ever for my car to be broken. :(

I would say don't do it in a car that you car about, The beauty of the starlet was if it broke "fvck it we don't care" and if it didn't "sure we'll try harder next time." The ony injury that the car suffered was an exhaust heat-shield that was scraping on the ground :D

if only we had a go pro :rolleyes:

Ah even to find an empty carpark while there's some laying snow to get the arse out a bit, it's been one of my all time "wants" ever since I got into cars.
    I've spend mad amounts of time watching videos like this.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Here you are, sir.
    Enjoy. ;)

Gentleman cheers! :D It looks similar to roads round the border I might visit if the feckin parts I ordered get delivered!

For now, I'll have to stick to roads like this...
    424447_542325972453522_1372587301_n.jpg
    304250_542326132453506_12312864_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Hahaha, you'll think it's a luxury around the gap with roads like that at home.
    Remember though, Sally Gap is more so a mountain pass at 520m, it can get icy up there even if it's not that cold down here.

I saw some amount of cars in ditches up there when I'd go hiking. Madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement