Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Time for a small rant.

Stupid uncivil servants in the local tax office have been giving me grief today. They sent back my licence app because I did not send them my passport like WTF? Traipsed all the way in there this morning where they merely copied the passport and sent everything to the bottom of the pile. Bastards.

Anyways to brighten my day, the dozy mares sent me someone else's licence to me in the post. Told them about this and the response was "sh1t happens". They sent me loads of personal info on some stranger that that is all they can say?

I hope they tell the data protection commissioner the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Driving my Dads car today. Why don't x type saloons have a rear windscreen wiper, its seriously annoying. Apart from that I love that car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Generally due to the design of a saloon they don't need em. When my rear screen is covered in water, after a few miles its crystal clear :)

dgt wrote: »
    Generally due to the design of a saloon they don't need em. When my rear screen is covered in water, after a few miles its crystal clear :)

Not on the jag it seems!! Couldnt see out the rear window at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MarkMc wrote: »

clean the rear window well with a glass cleaner, polish it with AutoGlym glass polish then wax it (yes, wax the glass) with Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax.

The water will bead up and run off instead of sticking to the window.

• Advertisement

MarkMc wrote: »

Strange, all the saloon cars we have here clear the screen after a while.... :confused:

Strange, all the saloon cars we have here clear the screen after a while.... :confused:

He's talking about water on the outside of it, not the inside when you have to use the demister.

He's talking about water on the outside of it, not the inside when you have to use the demister.

I'm on about the outside too! :P

Must give MM's tip ago, not particulary arsed though, I rarely drive it, just struck me as odd

I'm on about the outside too! :P

You haven't a clue what you're on about, don't lie!!

If glass isn't clean then the water will cling to any dirt it finds on the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Your 406 + Navan roads does not a crystal clear rear screen make....:D:pac:

You haven't a clue what you're on about, don't lie!!

If glass isn't clean then the water will cling to any dirt it finds on the glass.

Now now now... I mightn't have a clean car but the window does go dry after a certain amount of driving :)

Regardless, its still useless as it's dirty and I prefer using the mirrors :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I just use my rear wiper and it's gone in less than a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

OSI wrote: »

Great for freaking people out too. Nobody ever bothers with them here (sure why would you need a clear tea window) so if you're sitting at lights and the rear wiper goes the people behind think you're watching them.
    Guilty! Handy for traffic light perving!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Anybody good with electronics? :P need a question answered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

If the cat 'got dis' it'd be painfully burned across its face by falling pan and grease and probably have to be humanely put down

Kinda puts a downer on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

So after hearing this on the radio etc over the last couple of days myself and a friend decided last night to prove them wrong. And what better car to do it in that a '93 Toyota Starlet jap import (1331cc 4 speed). The only modifications to the car was two (worn) winter tyres on the front, massive spotlights and ehhhhh a rope in the boot:p.
    The bottom of the road leading up to the gap was a hive of activity, loads of people out looking tough in their jeeps doing "real off road stuff", there were people in cars sliding everywhere and a couple on scramblers too. As we followed them up towards the sappy gap they all turned back at various points, however the two of us in the starlet just kept on going. As we got closer to the gap the track got rougher and rougher. The high area between the ruts was constantly scraping off the floor and the track itself was very bumpy. At this point my friend who was driving basically had to keep it flat the whole time or we would get stuck so we were going about 50km/h and jumping the car off one bump and then landing and smashing through the next one with the snow flying over the windscreen. It was proper
    Then about 200m from the actual crossroads at the gap we got stuck:(. The ruts were just too deep for the starlet so we were beached :o. We tried to get ourselves out but we were properly stuck. However we could see people at the crossroads so we flashed our lights and it turned out to be a lad with a winch on his land-cruiser. He said he had been going up there in the winter for years and had never seen a car get so far, he got straight on the radio to tell the people he was working with that he was now winching out a starlet:pac:. About 5mins before us a discovery 3 was winched out of the same spot we were in.
    So even though we didn't make it to the gap by ourselves we came pretty close and got some funny looks from people in far more suitable cars/jeeps. probably if we had 3 inches more ground clearance we would have made it all the way, but even so it was by far the most fun we ever had in a car and it'll definitely be a story that I'll tell about "Back when I was young and stupid..."

tl;dr: Snow+Sally gap+starlet=:D:D:D

Bit late but it wasn't wine red by any chance?

If so I drove by you in a landcruiser laughing at thecclown in the starlet going up there!!

Was fairly hairy up there at points, spent 4 hours last night up there. Cruiser dealt with everything thrown at it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Whats he using for propulsion on the R/C plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Bit late but it wasn't wine red by any chance?

If so I drove by you in a landcruiser laughing at thecclown in the starlet going up there!!

Was fairly hairy up there at points, spent 4 hours last night up there. Cruiser dealt with everything thrown at it though.

Yeah that was us alright :D:D:D

What were you driving?

• Advertisement

That R/C plane i absolutely brilliant!! I'd love one of them or a helicopter!

Probably a petrol engine?

I drove by you in a landcruiser
    What were you driving?

:rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Matt Simis wrote: »

No clue but from this video it looks like the F-16 RC planes are fuelled with Petrol/Diesel.

Yeah that was us alright :D:D:D

What were you driving?

SWB Landcruiser. Was trying to figure out why you'd even attempt to go up there in a starlet!!

We came up through blessington, left at the cross at the gap towards tallaght. Had one very hairy moment at lacken by the lake but got through everything else handy.

:rolleyes:

:pac:

Ahhh I see what you did there:P:P

DrummerBoy was that you in the landcruiser that we passed (you going the other direction) about 1-2km from the cross roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

delete your pm's dgt :)

Ahhh I see what you did there:P:P

DrummerBoy was that you in the landcruiser that we passed (you going the other direction) about 1-2km from the cross roads?

That was us I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Matt Simis wrote: »

Just an electric prop, no petrol/jets here. There's a shot of it all opened up and you can see the innards of it. If there was a jet, there would be no need for all the lights at the rear of it!

That was us I'd say!

There were a load of land cruisers up there. The reason we went up was for fun and to show puffs like you that you don't need a jeep just because there is 2-3 feet of snow:p:p

We honestly didn't get stuck until that spot where the Disco was just before us.

We stopped to have a bit of a chat with a lad in a jeep that wasn't you?

• Advertisement

Wasn't me anyhow. Just as well you didn't head over towards tallaght though, you'd still be up there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement