Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Wasn't me anyhow. Just as well you didn't head over towards tallaght though, you'd still be up there!

That's the way we went up ;)

Not a bother until we were nearly at the top (where we got beached)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

No clue but from this video it looks like the F-16 RC planes are fuelled with Petrol/Diesel.
    That R/C plane i absolutely brilliant!! I'd love one of them or a helicopter!

Probably a petrol engine?

That is pretty cool alright. My friends dad collects the Nitro and petrol rc cars/jeeps.. He has like 4, had 5 but he crashed one. There very loud..

He has like one like this but it has more like a nascar shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

delete your pm's dgt :)

498 free spaces...! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Anybody good with electronics? :P need a question answered
    Vague question, but try me!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Can that kind of thing fit in any car or do they make certain models for certain cars?
    Oh, Tis nice.. 200 Euro isn't really bad either.. :)

Look at it again, that's 200 £STG ;)

Look at it again, that's 200 £STG ;)

ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I paid not a whole lot more than that for an f930bt with nav. Shop around, the cash would go further secondhand and you're safe enough if you buy right.

Can that kind of thing fit in any car or do they make certain models for certain cars?

It will work in any car, you can get leads for the stereo controls for most cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It's all about the f940bt these days! :P

It's on my hit list!

dar83 wrote: »
    It's all about the f940bt these days! :P

It's on my hit list!

They look the same, and you can put the software on the 930 I believe. Must do it some weekend but I don't know what the differences are otherwise.

Well the 930bt has been discontinued now and the 940 can actually be gotten new cheaper.

The only main difference is the 940 supports multi video out, for rear headrest screens etc... It's not exactly a feature that I'd require though, unless I fancied entertaining the car behind be in traffic. haha

dar83 wrote: »
    Well the 930bt has been discontinued now and the 940 can actually be gotten new cheaper.

The only main difference is the 940 supports multi video out, for rear headrest screens etc... It's not exactly a feature that I'd require though, unless I fancied entertaining the car behind be in traffic. haha

Well I won't be doing that anyway, the only thing that I would add would be a reversing camera for the novelty as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

That's a fantastic price for that head unit, was way more when I was looking for one a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

langdang wrote: »
    Vague question, but try me!

i'm trying to work out how many electric units my printer uses, so i need to find out its wattage.

the inverter on the plug cable says its 24v - 1.5 amp.

so wattage = voltage x amps, so i have a 30w printer? correct?

so if i run my printer for 1.5 hours constantly per evening every evening, at a unit rate of 15c per unit, it will only cost roughly 20c a month to run?

:P

24x1.5=36watts

36/1000=0.036kW

0.036x1.5=0.054kWh

0.054x15=0.81c Fairly sure thats right per day

so if it's a 30 day month 24.3c so yeah you were right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Think I would be more concerned about the ink!

i'm trying to work out how many electric units my printer uses, so i need to find out its wattage.

so if i run my printer for 1.5 hours constantly per evening every evening, at a unit rate of 15c per unit, it will only cost roughly 20c a month to run?

Sounds like a strange voltage, you sure it's 24. But thats the basic principle alright P=V x I.
    Cost of ink will break ya long before electricity does. Just looked at the back of my all-in-one jobby, no external inverter so 230V, 0.25A, so nearly 60W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    24x1.5=36watts

36/1000=0.036kW

0.036x1.5=0.054kWh

0.054x15=0.81c Fairly sure thats right per day

so if it's a 30 day month 24.3c so yeah you were right :D

You're both correct, the only thing is thats the rating of the transformer/psu. Which means thats what it can supply without problems. That doesnt mean thats what your printer actually uses! I would expect your printer to use about half that rating, when its actually printing( normally you try not to run psu's at anywhere near max except for brief periods), when its just sitting there the current draw will be in mA. So Id say halve that estimate at least. Btw the manual will give you a load and idle and standby current draw.
    Hope that helps.

Edit: 36W would be alot of power to use to shuffle around some paper and spray some ink at it.
    Think of how much 'work' a 55w bulb in your car is doing for instance.

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    You're both correct, the only thing is thats the rating of the transformer/psu. Which means thats what it can supply without problems. That doesnt mean thats what your printer actually uses! I would expect your printer to use about half that rating, when its actually printing( normally you try not to run psu's at anywhere near max except for brief periods), when its just sitting there the current draw will be in mA. So Id say halve that estimate at least. Btw the manual will give you a load and idle and standby current draw.
    Hope that helps.

Edit: 36W would be alot of power to use to shuffle around some paper and spray some ink at it.
    Think of how much 'work' a 55w bulb in your car is doing for instance.

Yeah I meant to throw that in that it'll cost that much to run if the printer is at its maximum load through all that time so it'll cost even less as the transformer will be able to supply more current than the printer will ever need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who was offering an AA book recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thanks lads, its not so much a printer as a vinyl plotter.

just trying to factor the price of powering it into costs, seems like its not that much so :)

There we some amount of idiots out this morning...

First was the woman in a Suzuki Jimny or other such pretend jeep who was behind me on the Malahide road at the Darndale roundabout, who decided that beeping at me to progress was the way to go, even though the traffic was backed up and not moving and I was leaving the yellow box directly in front of me free... the lights ahead did change though... idiot.

Then we have Mr. 131 D Discovery who decided to try and skip the queue when turning off for Blanch shopping centre off the N3 and tried to dive in front of me as the traffic was just starting to move. Luckily for him I noticed the large truck that was behind him also doing near enough the 80km/h limit and I braked quickly enough to let him in as he sh@t his pants and the truck driver leaned on the horn as hard as he could. Could have been a nasty new Discovery mess otherwise.

Venting done. :P

In fairness, a jimny will do things offroad that no softroader could. As long as 4wd is selected when needed. As for the rest of the venting, yeah I hear you!

saw an absolutely beautiful tt 225 in Mahon Point last night in grey, with the v6 rear valance. want :o

saw an absolutely beautiful tt 225 in Mahon Point last night in grey, with the v6 rear valance. want :o

There's a nice black 156 in your parking space today :pac:

i saw that! bastardo! ive only 3 hours in college so a 2 hour parking disc will do today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thanks to the snow, my gaskets still haven't arrived. Marvellous :mad:

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    In fairness, a jimny will do things offroad that no softroader could. As long as 4wd is selected when needed. As for the rest of the venting, yeah I hear you!

It wasn't meant as a sleight on the Jimny, it was more on its driver, who would clearly never be driving it off road, but of course had the headlights and mahoosive fogs on as well.

The "must buy jeep, safer and higher road view, but I can't drive a big/proper one so it must be small etc..." mentality. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement