Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Quick question for those exhaust experts.

What's the cheapest way to replace an exhaust system? The one on my clio has been welded several times which keeps failing and it's pretty shot the entire way through.

What's the absolute bare bones, cheap as you can get way to fix this? Can I just get a straight through pipe fabricated from back to front? (There is no cat and I presume no emissions test on a 95 Carb engined clio)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Jubilee clips, lots of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

BX 19 wrote: »

What's the cheapest way to replace an exhaust system? The one on my clio has been welded several times which keeps failing and it's pretty shot the entire way through.

What's the absolute bare bones, cheap as you can get way to fix this? Can I just get a straight through pipe fabricated from back to front? (There is no cat and I presume no emissions test on a 95 Carb engined clio)

The "no cat" easy emission test is for 1993 older cars, so there would be an pre-2000 (irc) type emission test. Surely it came with a Cat if it was sold within Europe in 1995?

You can of course get some exhaust piping and have it welded in, but you should find a Cat too. If you know anyone with a bunch of exhaust bits, the angles would already be there and make it a lot easier. If you want super cheap, scrounge up some exhaust part and fix them together by cutting 4 5cm lines parallel done its length on each end piece to allow you to "ram" the next piece in, use exhaust putty and exhaust clamps.

Also Carbs in 1995!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Carburretors?

In 1995?

I think not. Not in a civilised part of the world anyway. A few Australian cars kept them into the 2000's.... but in the EU the Carburretor was all but dead in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

These products are cheap. I have only ever used the paste and it worked for me:)
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=gungum&department=all&action=search&storeId=11101&catalogId=15551&langId=-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dartz wrote: »
    Carburretors?

In 1995?

I think not. Not in a civilised part of the world anyway. A few Australian cars kept them into the 2000's.... but in the EU the Carburretor was all but dead in 1995.

Do you want me to go out and lift the air filter and take a photo of the Werber carb? It's there alright. It's the same engine out of the Renault 19 and 1995 was the last year of it. It was actually 80hp in regards to the newer fuel injected version was 75bhp due to the cat. The two engines ran alongside for a while.

Honda had a carb in the Civic until 1996 sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

RoverJames wrote: »
    There's a nice black 156 in your parking space today :pac:

Cosmos blue! :pac:

Redisle wrote: »
    Cosmos blue! :pac:

lol, I'm not a morning person :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Quick question someone might be able to answer - is it illegal to move someones car a distance of 10 feet from one spot to another without their permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Quick question someone might be able to answer - is it illegal to move someones car a distance of 10 feet from one spot to another without their permission.
    If it is causing an obstruction I believe it can be moved as long as you don't damage it or leave it in a position whereby it causes obstruction.................and it's only illegal if you get caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

yes.
    ask Ian Wright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

JJJJNR wrote: »

I think it is, if you warn't asked too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

On to my next (hypotectical) question : anyone know where to pick up casters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ba_barabus wrote: »
    If it is causing an obstruction I believe it can be moved as long as you don't damage it or leave it in a position whereby it causes obstruction.................and it's only illegal if you get caught

I did this before. A friend of my ex's parked in my spot outside the house we were renting. I moved the car when she and the ex were gone clubbing and when she came back to get it the next day she went ape****!

What c*nts she and the ex were :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just be sneaky and claim they're going mental. :pac:

I did this before. A friend of my ex's parked in my spot outside the house we were renting. I moved the car when she and the ex were gone clubbing and when she came back to get it the next day she went ape****!

What c*nts she and the ex were :pac:

I remember reading on here where someone said their mother put a brick through a car window to move it when it blocked their driveway.

Can't remember who it was.

I'm assuming the car is parked in someones spot in an underground or some sort.

First of all, check if it's open and just release the handbrake.

If not could it be moved using trolley jacks or else a mate with with coasters may come along

CianRyan wrote: »
    Just be sneaky and claim they're going mental. :pac:

It's entirely possible they will be too thick to notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I remember reading on here where someone said their mother put a brick through a car window to move it when it blocked their driveway.

Can't remember who it was.

I'm assuming the car is parked in someones spot in an underground or some sort.

First of all, check if it's open and just release the handbrake.

If not could it be moved using trolley jacks or else a mate with with coasters may come along

Haha, not me for once.. Thank god.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

How you finding TT ownership so far LIGHTNING?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Welder :D

More than likely an SPI setup, not carbs (not after 93)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Welder :D

More than likely an SPI setup, not carbs (not after 93)

Read back apparently 95 was the last year of carbs for the clio!

Stheno wrote: »
    Read back apparently 95 was the last year of carbs for the clio!

I can't get my head around that.... Everywhere I'm looking says the change to fuel injection was in 1992, all new Renaults from then were equipped with EFI!

This has me completely befuzzled :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can't get my head around that.... Everywhere I'm looking says the change to fuel injection was in 1992, all new Renaults from then were equipped with EFI!

This has me completely befuzzled :confused:

No idea tbh, if I were the OP looking for a new exhaust and close to Trim, I'd be getting a quote from Suohans though.

They saved me a fortune sorting the exhaust on my car.

Stheno wrote: »
    No idea tbh, if I were the OP looking for a new exhaust and close to Trim, I'd be getting a quote from Suohans though.

They saved me a fortune sorting the exhaust on my car.

From what I hear they are very good indeed

Personally, I'd buy the right diameter pipe and weld up my own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Your pipe isn't of sufficient diameter? :pac:

Not everyone has 5 welders in their back yard!

I found them superb to deal with, I was quoted over €600 for the part I needed for the midsection of my exhaust by an alfa dealer (not stocked by quick fit etc) plus fitting.

They did the entire job for €140 and my mechanic was very pleased with the job they did, thought it was very well done. They make the parts themselves iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the ax gt was one of the last carbed cars, round 92

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Exhausts are nearly impossible to weld with an arc welder!

What setup do you have dgt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

71805176_Large.jpg

Much better
    Hmm, East Cost Alloys just quoted me €390 for these (€590 with tyres) - similar?

STR-720.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No they're not :eek:

Please don't buy those

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement