Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you contact them before bidding a lot of sellers are open to arranging delivery to Ireland. Just a suggestion (hoping they fit):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500-ABARTH-7x17-Diamond-Cut-5-spoke-alloy-wheels-Set-of-4-/111001483662?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item19d834398e

Condition isn't the best mind but I'd keep looking at OEM wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No they're not :eek:

Please don't buy those
    Ha, I'm not don't worry - too much money and too ST Focus for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No they're not :eek:

Please don't buy those
    Damn straight, :eek:. OEM set fine, second set tacky as ...
    You may as well tuck your trackies into your socks and start walking around with your hands down your crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you contact them before bidding a lot of sellers are open to arranging delivery to Ireland. Just a suggestion (hoping they fit):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-500-ABARTH-7x17-Diamond-Cut-5-spoke-alloy-wheels-Set-of-4-/111001483662?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item19d834398e

Condition isn't the best mind but I'd keep looking at OEM wheels.

They're class, bear in mind you'll need wobbly bolts and spigot rings as the 500 has a bigger hub centre and the pcd is 2mm off

Advertsfox, I could fix you up with a rather stylish pimp cane, direct from Limerick citaay? (not my photo, another boardsie BagMagnet)

(bit of a rip in the space time continuum there was there? Few posts disappeared? My post was only marginally funny when your post was there, now it just looks like I'm savaging you altogether for the suggestion of buying those alloys from east cost)

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    Advertsfox, I could fix you up with a rather stylish pimp cane, direct from Limerick citaay? (not my photo, another boardsie BagMagnet)

(bit of a rip in the space time continuum there was there? Few posts disappeared? My post was only marginally funny when your post was there, now it just looks like I'm savaging you altogether for the suggestion of buying those alloys from east cost)
    Just the one, want me to put my post back? I would but it wasn't really that funny so not to worry ;) Don't think I would suit a cane like that either :)

advertsfox wrote: »
    Just the one, want me to put my post back? I would but it wasn't really that funny so not to worry ;) Don't think I would suit a cane like that either :)
    Nah biy. We'll leave it at that. :cool:
    This whole alloys business is a head wrecker alright, so many heavy/nasty/tacky options and the worry of some snack whipping em off ya if you get a nice set!

langdang wrote: »
    Nah biy. We'll leave it at that. :cool:
    This whole alloys business is a head wrecker alright, so many heavy/nasty/tacky options and the worry of some snack whipping em off ya if you get a nice set!
    Ah stop man, also it's impossible to find a proper OEM set here because 90% of GP's ordered over the years are standard models with no extras (to save a few bob with a new car?). Other way around in the UK, which is probably where I'm gonna end up close to the summer to get me some, just an easier option overall for the look I want.

In other news, I paid £4 for this tiny piece of missing rubber to fit the side part of my boot lid to stop it knocking when I go over any bumps or humps - thank you OCD.

OPYUonO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just had my car terracleaned sounds alot better. I will be going for a test drive in a while just to see how good she is :). Sound lads and explained the process involved etc. They will be at the classic car show in the rds on the 9th/10th of february.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just had my car terracleaned sounds alot better. I will be going for a test drive in a while just to see how good she is :). Sound lads and explained the process involved etc. They will be at the classic car show in the rds on the 9th/10th of february.

Did you go to the place in wicklow, or did they come to u?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

how much total inc. vat hal? interested in getting it done. i want to treat my car at the moment, what can i do give her a bit of treatment? coolant change, terraclean, brake fluid change, oil and oil filters are fine. what else to help it stay running well?

pred racer wrote: »
    Did you go to the place in wicklow, or did they come to u?

They came to me, they have a mobile unit. Fairly impressed with the setup. It took just under an hour to complete the job. They don't have a mobile emmisions unit just yet though, so if you went to their unit in rathdrum you would get the o2 readings.
    how much total inc. vat hal? interested in getting it done. i want to treat my car at the moment, what can i do give her a bit of treatment? coolant change, terraclean, brake fluid change, oil and oil filters are fine. what else to help it stay running well?

It came to €135 + vat for my 1.6 focus. It was totally worth it as the car sounds sweet as a nut now. The revs are alot smoother but I'll take her for a spin in a bit to compare the before and after. I was a bit reluctant but after reading about it here on other fourms I had to get it done. Nct brought forward to next week. So waiting for the zero emmisons readout :D.

so about 160 total? how many mobile units do they have? will they be ok coming all the way to cork for the same price? and lastly, is the price more depending on the size of the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

ARB making sound like 2 creaky old pensioners having sex while going over ramps.

Creak..... pause.... creak....pause....creak... pause.

At least I have a nice audible warning of black ice about.... it only does it when it's below 4 degrees or so. Sounds horrific..... but can't seem to find any play in anything down there.

Steering still tight. It doesn't wander

Still embarassing when it noises and everyone looks at you thinking "There goes some ****box who nobody ever maintains"

How do I stop it from creaking? Grease does nothing.

so about 160 total? how many mobile units do they have? will they be ok coming all the way to cork for the same price? and lastly, is the price more depending on the size of the engine?

The price depends on the engine size, but couldn't see it costing more than €150 for say a 2l. They just have one mobile unit at the moment but are looking to expand and have a Dublin office with more mobile units. They travel nationwide so email them to see when they will be in Cork.

thanks hal. it'd be cool to see all the crap that gets flushed out :D
    what do they actually do? whats the process? where do they pump in the stuff etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

thanks hal. it'd be cool to see all the crap that gets flushed out :D
    what do they actually do? whats the process? where do they pump in the stuff etc?

answered all my questions! :D i was thinking it cleaned out the whole engine and not just the fuel system :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Once the Alfa has a few new suspension parts and the new spark plugs this is definitely next on the list. Won't be putting any major cash into it until the NCT next Tuesday though, have to see the fail sheet..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

answered all my questions! :D i was thinking it cleaned out the whole engine and not just the fuel system :o

It cleans Fuel system but also combustion chambers, intake and exhaust system. The only major part not cleaned out is the Engine Oil which has its own products and issues. Getting it done soon too.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The only major part not cleaned out is the Engine Oil which has its own products and issues. Getting it done soon too.

Which is why I'm of the opinion that the car should be serviced immediately after a Terrclean is done. Mainly oil, oil filter and spark plugs as the old oil will more than likely be full of the crap that was cleaned off the engine.

It goes against the idea of getting the job done if you leave that oil in there.

True that. is there anything you can put in with the oil that is a lubricant itself to help clear any crap? id change the oil and filters twice if i could flush out around the internals well

I was thinking of changing the oil for the same reason. The only thing stopping me is the bloody cold.

True that. is there anything you can put in with the oil that is a lubricant itself to help clear any crap? id change the oil and filters twice if i could flush out around the internals well

Yeah, try fairy liquid :P

No lubricant is going to clean stuff the way you want. It's designed to lubricate, not clean. Cleaners are usually acidic and for you want, they have to be ones that don't require abrasion. Not gonna work I'm afraid!

Think about the Terraclean fluids. They're like methylated spirits in consistency. No lubrication qualities at all.

I know but i was wondering if there was something you could run the engine on for an hour of so that would detach build up and bring it to the sump whilst ensuring the engine is lubricated.
    Terraclean will have to do, halfords better have another castrol oil sale soon though!

I did something similar with the RX8 but that had specific maintenance nozzles on each rotor housing. I filled a 2ltr 7up bottle with a "mixture" of water and WD40, cut a holt in the lid and fed a tube through that and taped it up to make it airtight.

Then connected the other end to the nozzle, started up the engine and let the water/WD40 get sucked out by the engine.

It's a very tricky process because someone else has to be in the car keeping the revs up so it doesn't cut out and there was certain noises/rough running that I had to look for while doing this job. It was also a possibility that the engine could get air-locked and I'd have been rightly screwed then.

That sounds pretty dodgey!

It's only dodgey if you don't know what you're doing.

The 2nd time I did this, the expensive O2 sensor went busht :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Which is why I'm of the opinion that the car should be serviced immediately after a Terrclean is done. Mainly oil, oil filter and spark plugs as the old oil will more than likely be full of the crap that was cleaned off the engine.

It goes against the idea of getting the job done if you leave that oil in there.

I see what you are saying but at the same time cant wrap my head around how removing and burning off carbon, leaving a clean intake and combustion chamber would make engine oil more dirty. The parts that make it dirty are now clean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

pred racer wrote: »
    Exhausts are nearly impossible to weld with an arc welder!

What setup do you have dgt?

I stick to the trusty CO2 welder for exhausts :) I don't trust myself with the other 2!

Theres also a spot welder (body panels, no use for exhausts) stick welder (much heavier duty welding) and gas (nostly for cutting and heating up seized joints). If I used either of those on an exhaust there would be no exhaust left :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement