Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

OSI wrote: »
    I get lazy, so:

motors.boards.ie

Best thing since sliced bread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I see what you are saying but at the same time cant wrap my head around how removing and burning off carbon, leaving a clean intake and combustion chamber would make engine oil more dirty. The parts that make it dirty are now clean

Yes but all the crud that's cleaned off is very likely to collect in the sump along with the oil in the engine from before the job was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OSI wrote: »
    I get lazy, so:

motors.boards.ie

I get even lazier which is why I have the motors forum as a favourite :)

True that. is there anything you can put in with the oil that is a lubricant itself to help clear any crap? id change the oil and filters twice if i could flush out around the internals well

Just run it on diesel engine oil for a thousand miles or so, nice gentle flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Does anyone here know the offset for these exact wheels? I'll be damned if I can see them on the back! :(

W210, 16 inch

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263367708ce09dfb52c4f0ac9d39aa2692e4f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

dgt wrote: »
    Does anyone here know the offset for these exact wheels? I'll be damned if I can see them on the back! :(

W210, 16 inch

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263367708ce09dfb52c4f0ac9d39aa2692e4f.jpg

From Wikipedia sir! I think it's ET41.
    ET (Einpresstiefe) is the German abbreviation for offset, where the number is in mm and indicates amount of offset. This ETxx is stamped on the inside of OEM rims for easy reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W210

And some more details on that model wheel:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1366792-w210-wheel-information.html#post3935279

Perfect! :D

From that post, I found out that they're called "Algenib" and were available in 17 inch too :cool: how well I'd get stuck with 16's..... :rolleyes:

7.5J rim, would that see a bit of a stretch with 205 section tyres? I have no idea as I've never gone down that route but there's always a first ;)

Edit: What's the best way to clean those rims? And colour? I'm inquisitive today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Is it wrong that coffee relaxes me?

Car should be sorted today. :D
    Can't wait to get out for a nice spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Coffee shouldn't relax you, but if you treat it like a comfort thing then I can see why.
    Your clearly addicted, as long as its decent coffee and not Nescafé freeze dried instant muck!

On motor related news, genuinely what is the craic with the Dublin motortax office still going through tax and licence applications sent in on the 10th of Jan what the flip.
    All I wanna do is pay my tax and be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

advertsfox wrote: »
    From Wikipedia sir! I think it's ET41.

Hmm, they look a lot like the wheels on my W126, which I suspected were the wrong offset for the 126, which likes an oldschool ET25. Already have spacers but this answers a lot!

I cleaned mine with Wonder Wheels (which is quite corrosive and good!) and plan to paint them silver. Or just get other wheels. :p

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Hmm, they look a lot like the wheels on my W126, which I suspected were the wrong offset for the 126, which likes an oldschool ET25. Already have spacers but this answers a lot!

I cleaned mine with Wonder Wheels (which is quite corrosive and good!) and plan to paint them silver. Or just get other wheels. :p

Our W126's came with the 14inch rims you get on pre 86 cars.... What size were yours, 16s?

Conveniently I have wonder wheels in the garage, I'll give it a shot later :cool:

I was thinking should I go silver, or dark grey.... Oh the possibilities! :pac:

coolisin wrote: »
    Coffee shouldn't relax you, but if you treat it like a comfort thing then I can see why.
    Your clearly addicted, as long as its decent coffee and not Nescafé freeze dried instant muck!

On motor related news, genuinely what is the craic with the Dublin motortax office still going through tax and licence applications sent in on the 10th of Jan what the flip.
    All I wanna do is pay my tax and be done!

I bought a coffee machine for "my mam" last Christmas. I can go through a fair fair pod/bag things depending on the day. :o

Can you not pay your tax online?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Can you not pay your tax online?
    You can indeed, exactly what I was gonna suggest. If you haven't receive your tax PIN in the post, it's the last 6 digits of your chassis number. You can always click the online Pin Retrieval link and fill in the details you put on your log book and they PIN will be emailed to your chosen email address.

Ah I know you can, only did mine two weeks ago. Unless he's just bought a new car/taxing it for the first time.

Ah I know you can, only did mine two weeks ago. Unless he's just bought a new car/taxing it for the first time.
    Yup, I taxed mine a week after purchase by putting in my exact details from the log book and was emailed the new PIN - a doddle! Screw that queuing malarkey ;)

Have to remember that for next time.
    Hateful place, that motor tax office. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hateful place, that motor tax office. :D
    There's worse, believe me.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hal1 wrote: »
    The revs are alot smoother but I'll take her for a spin in a bit to compare the before and after.

Just back from said spin. There is a noticable improvement in torque, the revvs are smoother through the gears, more responsive overall. I'm well impressed:). It's like shes breathing easier and seems to be quieter.

Another thing is overtaking ability has improved without throwing the shoe in :pac:. So I would recommend getting this service done. I'm sure it's more efficient now also so I will be checking that figure when it comes to filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Ballymun Motor Tax Office has got to be the second worst place in Dublin, coming second only to the Passport Office!!

Not looking forward to queueing up on Monday to replace my 'licence'. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MarkMc wrote: »
    Ballymun Motor Tax Office has got to be the worst place in Ireland

FYP

• Advertisement

I always use the Smithfield one, handiest to get too for me.
    The opening hours are a pain in the hole though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I always use the Smithfield one, handiest to get too for me.
    The opening hours are a pain in the hole though.
    That's second only to Ballymun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Stheno wrote: »

FYP

I meant to write Ireland :D Passport office is worse though, I worked there for a few months, it was a nightmareish place!!

The big steel rotating doors make me feel like I'm going into a prison.

To be fair, last time I was there I was only about ten minutes. It went nice and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Lovely check engine light awaiting me this morning. Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).
    It's still starting and driving fine and it isn't rpm limited so I will likely just drive on as it's a belt off job!!! :( (unless it's just loose wiring, which I will check on Saturday).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Our W126's came with the 14inch rims you get on pre 86 cars.... What size were yours, 16s?

Afaik, the 560SEC came with 15 and 16" from Merc and 17" from AMG. My one had 16 wheels that look like your photo, I have them on again for winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I remember when every farmer up here had those cars after the 405 and 305 van epidemic :pac:

So if I were you, I'd look at this instead (minus the extortionate price of this one!)
    The look I would go for is something more like Vectra's Toledo (only with more skanger :pac:)

Those Jettas are nicer alright but they go for strong money these days :(

If you sell your Levin to buy a diesel golf I will slap you!

Better get your slappin' hand ready!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement