Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thats not so bad tbh. First year for me on a punto was €2k. At least a levin is a bit more fun
    Exactly what engine size is the levin? I know feck all about them, just like the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Thats not so bad tbh. First year for me on a punto was €2k. At least a levin is a bit more fun

Ahhh true it's not too bad considering the car but still when the insurance costs the same as the car it's a bit of a sickener. The thing isn't exactly cheap to run either (though not too bad fuel) general servicing is dear. Oil+filter every 5000Km gear oil etc every 10,000 and about 1l of oil every 1,000km :P:eek:

It's a 1.6l 20valve so 'tis 165bhp Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Black tops can be rough on oil alright!

This, yum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Ahhh true it's not too bad considering the car but still when the insurance costs the same as the car it's a bit of a sickener. The thing isn't exactly cheap to run either (though not too bad fuel) general servicing is dear. Oil+filter every 5000Km gear oil etc every 10,000 and about 1l of oil every 1,000km :P:eek:

It's a 1.6l 20valve so 'tis 165bhp Stheno

Ah mine creature is a 2l 155 bhp so heavier on fuel.

Oil wise about the same maybe a little less.

You'd get hammered on insurance on it though with the engine size rise I suspect.

And they probably class it different

Still no excuse for a nasty german felter.

If I get to the meet can I have a spin?

I might beat ya even more then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OK, a Toyota Levin and Alfa 147 both use 1 litre of oil every 1000km?

Why in the name of jayzeus don't people ever think about that when they're giving out about the RX8's oil consumption?!!?!!!!

• Advertisement

Why in the name of jayzeus don't people ever think about that when they're giving out about the RX8's oil consumption?!!?!!!!

Do you think I drive a 147?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Yeah you are more than welcome to a spin if you want :)

MM That oil consumption is after 230,000km on that engine so I don't think it's too bad. People are just frightened of rotaries and because they are different can't wait to point out their weaknesses I think. Personally I think that those engines are the mutts nuts.

Yeah you are more than welcome to a spin if you want :)

MM That oil consumption is after 230,000km on that engine so I don't think it's too bad. People are just frightened of rotaries and because they are different can't wait to point out their weaknesses I think. Personally I think that those engines are the mutts nuts.

Cool thanks :) Still no guarantee I'll get down though!

I spent many a happy hour on Gardiner Street admiring an RS8 in front of me then I learned it had a rotary engine, read up a bit, got confused and decided I never wanted one, well, I do, but I just don't get them, need to learn :)

The alfa takes a topup of half a litre a month on an average month of about 600 miles so close to 1000 km, that's urban driving, motorways she goes to close to 2000km before it needs topping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Woot this has been some entertainment to get back to! All this talk of felters and slapping with leather gloves has made me.... Tired :p

dgt wrote: »
    Woot this has been some entertainment to get back to! All this talk of felters and slapping with leather gloves has made me.... Tired :p
    Cian can slap you awake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stheno wrote: »

Do you think I drive a 147?

A 147 Saloon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

The same as the car this year €1,800 :mad:

I paid 3500 on a 951L micra when I was starting out (2002). That was the best quote I could get. I was getting quotes of up to 7grand at the time. Utter madness.!.

Drove that for a year, passed my test as well and I think my premium dropped to 2500. Decided to change my car 2weeks after renewing my policy. A 98 2.0td Toyota avensis... How much extra???

200:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

dgt wrote: »

Oh that reminds me of the simpson, where Homer goes around with the glove smacking people. :) ... Ah good times.. :)

GLOVE SMACH, BABY GLOVE SMACK.

That's what I'm going for alright.

CianRyan wrote: »
    GLOVE SMACH, BABY GLOVE SMACK.

That's what I'm going for alright.

"Glove smack, shut your big yap, YAaaa Glove smack.." :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Oh that reminds me of the simpson, where Homer goes around with the glove smacking people. :) ... Ah good times.. :)
    "I challenge you to a duel" :)

www_pythagoreanism_com_large_simpsons-duel-slap-white-glove-snake-homer.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks 166 but 325 is the slowest ill go for e46. It looks nice though :) I'd rather a 330i too I think :D

Yeah insurance / fuel consumption is pretty similar between the 320/325/330 so if you dont mind ponying up the extra €400 tax it would be nice to get a 330i

Nearly sorry I didnt go 330 sometimes, If my engine ever goes boom I'll be sourcing a 330 engine for it

advertsfox wrote: »
    "I challenge you to a duel" :)

www_pythagoreanism_com_large_simpsons-duel-slap-white-glove-snake-homer.jpg

Haha, I was going to post that, but I said I better not. Incase the boss would see "glove smack" in the search history.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

conzy wrote: »
    Yeah insurance / fuel consumption is pretty similar between the 320/325/330 so if you dont mind ponying up the extra €400 tax it would be nice to get a 330i

Nearly sorry I didnt go 330 sometimes, If my engine ever goes boom I'll be sourcing a 330 engine for it
    i reckon any equivilant 330i over a 325i willl prob be well over 400e cheaper anyway to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

conzy wrote: »

Yours sounds like its got something huge under the bonnet anyway:)
    i reckon any equivilant 330i over a 325i willl prob be well over 400e cheaper anyway to buy!

But you only have to pay the purchase price once;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I know but i reckon i could haggle 2 years of tax outta someone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Shows you how cold it is in England compared to here. My brother-in-law, (lives in Lincolnshire), was bringing his kids to school when he saw smoke coming from the engine. Stopped immediately and popped the bonnet. Water pump frozen solid so the belt had been spinning and melted!

renofan wrote: »
    Shows you how cold it is in England compared to here. My brother-in-law, (lives in Lincolnshire), was bringing his kids to school when he saw smoke coming from the engine. Stopped immediately and popped the bonnet. Water pump frozen solid so the belt had been spinning and melted!

Fúck!
    Mad there was no noise from it.

I've both my belts done now, car now charges itself and the power steering feels lighter since it's been done. So glad to have it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

CianRyan wrote: »
    Fúck!
    Mad there was no noise from it.

'Tis an early 80's Land Rover Series III so plenty of noise to cancel out a squealing belt :D

RoverJames wrote: »

The ole lad's car is due NCT soon, needed a CV joint and the front pads though still having a fair few thousand miles on them were worn a bit so he got the Cv joint and the pads done (I wouldn't tackle a CV joint in a fit tbh and while that was being done getting pads too was handy :) ).

Also ordered two nice Dunlop tyres last week, he got them fitted Friday I think.

Test booked for the 25th (surprised with all the available slots they had), we are expecting a first time pass :)

That went to plan :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    That went to plan :)

Good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Car booked in next Wednesday for the top mounts / drop links to be changed - hoping it will improve the front end noise dramatically.

Another question, the tyres on my GP and terribly noisy on slightly rough old roads and real smooth and quiet on the new roads (M3 for example). Is that to do with my current suspension issues do you reckon or is it because the tyres could be just cheap (skinny 14" steelies they are) and causing the noise? I know it's not a bearing issue because I'd hear that all the time, regardless of tarmac type. Will post up the tyre make this evening, not sure of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Speaking of, I just spent the last hour and a half researching oil for my yoke. You could spend days reading up on the pro's and con's of various brands and viscosities. Moving from 5w30 to 10w40 though - exciting times ahead for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

advertsfox wrote: »
    Car booked in next Wednesday for the top mounts / drop links to be changed - hoping it will improve the front end noise dramatically.

Another question, the tyres on my GP and terribly noisy on slightly rough old roads and real smooth and quiet on the new roads (M3 for example). Is that to do with my current suspension issues do you reckon or is it because the tyres could be just cheap (skinny 14" steelies they are) and causing the noise? I know it's not a bearing issue because I'd hear that all the time, regardless of tarmac type. Will post up the tyre make this evening, not sure of it.

More than likely the roads lad...

Our roads in Meath are sh*te! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra, where you in the square today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement