Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

NCT today....................and she failed.... However it was nowhere near as bad as I thought which is always a good thing. The items on the fail sheet are

- Headlamp mounting insecure, I think it needs to be adjusted again or screwed back in. Never even knew it was loose until today.

-Front Suspension Wishbone nearside front. To be expected, however what was not expected was that the other wishbone is fine apparently as is the entire rest of the front suspension set up which was great news altogether.

- Rear Suspension - the tester explained that it was the very rear links(?) on both sides that needed to be replaced, not sure if this is the drop links or the roll bar links though.

- Wheel alignment was off but I knew that anyway.

- Tyre condition of the fronts told me that they were both more than six years old.!. I should point out that this really annoys me as I bought both those tyres from Tyreland in Glasnevin in November as Grade A part worns. Surely they can't be allowed to sell 6 year old tyres as a Grade A tyre?

Regardless I think I'm going to go back to them about it anyway as I don't think that's good enough?

And that's it! So only a few things to sort out and hopefully a new disc should be in my windscreen soon!

Delighted to be honest. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

166man wrote: »

-Front Suspension Wishbone nearside front. To be expected, however what was not expected was that the other wishbone is fine apparently as is the entire rest of the front suspension set up which was great news altogether.

- Tyre condition of the fronts told me that they were both more than six years old.!. I should point out that this really annoys me as I bought both those tyres from Tyreland in Glasnevin in November as Grade A part worns. Surely they can't be allowed to sell 6 year old tyres as a Grade A tyre?

Regardless I think I'm going to go back to them about it anyway as I don't think that's good enough?

Upper or lower wishbones? 156 has two on each side :rolleyes: If the NCT tester didn't mark which one, your mechanic will have to check both which is a pain

Grade iirc is in relation to the depth level of the tread, not the age of the tyres.

Over five years, it's either a fail or a fail advisory

I am presently off the road for a few weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The front wishbones are what you expected right? That'll be the most costly to replace them. Once you've done that then the rest does seem handy enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dar83 wrote: »
    The front wishbones are what you expected right? That'll be the most costly to replace them. Once you've done that then the rest does seem handy enough.

If I remember right, it's not that expensive parts wise, can take a bit of labour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT today....................and she failed.... However it was nowhere near as bad as I thought which is always a good thing. The items on the fail sheet are

- Headlamp mounting insecure, I think it needs to be adjusted again or screwed back in. Never even knew it was loose until today.

- Rear Suspension - the tester explained that it was the very rear links(?) on both sides that needed to be replaced, not sure if this is the drop links or the roll bar links though.

- Wheel alignment was off but I knew that anyway.

And that's it! So only a few things to sort out and hopefully a new disc should be in my windscreen soon!

Delighted to be honest. :)

Rears are multi links
    159rearsuspensionbig8vh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Old tires wouldn't be a fail, it's only a failure advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Stheno wrote: »
    Upper or lower wishbones? 156 has two on each side :rolleyes: If the NCT tester didn't mark which one, your mechanic will have to check both which is a pain

Grade iirc is in relation to the depth level of the tread, not the age of the tyres.

Over five years, it's either a fail or a fail advisory

I am presently off the road for a few weeks :(

Sorry it's the upper wishbones and it's only the left one so it's about £50 for the part from the UK so it's the easier one to do I'm told. Yeah over 6 years old as Alan said it's a fail advisory.
    dar83 wrote: »

Yeah exactly it does seem handy enough, I expected much much worse to be honest.
    If I remember right, it's not that expensive parts wise, can take a bit of labour though.

Yeah as said part is about 50 quid so it's not too hefty.
    dgt wrote: »
    Rears are multi links
    159rearsuspensionbig8vh.jpg

Multi-link meaning.....:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Maybe NSFW due to strong language :pac:. Best bus prank ever, donegal style...
    see on random vid thread.

Multi-link meaning.....:D:pac:

....it soaks up bumps well and needs tracking afterwards. A cúnt as much more parts to test and change, all usually seized!

I think the 156/166 setup is worse to work on than the 406 multi links :eek:

dgt wrote: »
    ....it soaks up bumps well and needs tracking afterwards. A cúnt as much more parts to test and change, all usually seized!

I think the 156/166 setup is worse to work on than the 406 multi links :eek:

Sure you've one to work on :) Try the gtv :D the rear bushes can cause the subframe to need replacing if you don't use the right ones !

• Advertisement

Sure you've one to work on :) Try the gtv :D the rear bushes can cause the subframe to need replacing if you don't use the right ones !

I'd happily work on one over Citroen hydro-pneumatics :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Anyone know what double branding on a tyre means.

As in

195/70 R15C 104/102Q 8PR Double branding 100R

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Anyone know what double branding on a tyre means.

As in

195/70 R15C 104/102Q 8PR Double branding 100R

:confused:

Not too sure, But this may be helpful. :)

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's having two brands, in this case continental and VancoEco

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-111671-continental-vanco-2-tyres.html

Found this. It's some thing to do the load and speed ratings.

Is it 104/102 a speed Q and 100 at speed R?
    Surely it has only one load rating.

Not too sure, But this may be helpful. :)

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

The crazy world of tyre markings. I'll make a cup of tea and have a read.

@ COLM That's was what I thought at first. Don't think that's it though.

The crazy world of tyre markings. I'll make a cup of tea and have a read.

@ COLM That's was what I thought at first. Don't think that's it though.

Can't bate the mug a scald.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Just passed the NCT with the Merc. Failed last time on on Emissions (9.8% CO, max is 3.5%). My fault as I was messing with the CO Adjustment screw. So I re-set it by "feel", I dont have an emissions tester and figured with such a huge allowable amount how hard can it be?

On the retest, got a CO result of 0.15%, which seems like an impossibly huge improvement, but whatever. Other than resetting the CO mix I ran a treatment of BG-44k through it.

Anyhow, not bad for a 27year old V8 with 170k miles. :D

Best of luck Cian with the Driving test tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Best of luck Cian with the Driving test tomorrow. :)

Either good stalker or good memory, either way thanks, man. :)

Pretest tomorrow at 8am, test at 9:15am and bring my girlfriend to the dentist at 11:30am.
    A full morning anyway!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »

Pretest tomorrow at 8am, test at 9:15am and bring my girlfriend to the dentist at 11:30am.
    A full morning anyway!

Good luck!

A full morning anyway!

No problem. you're gonna fairly busy so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just a bit!
    My pretest was meant to be today but the lads house got broken into so he had to cancel. Can't plan for that I guess.

Just a bit!
    My pretest was meant to be today but the lads house got broken into so he had to cancel. Can't plan for that I guess.

Well, it might be better to have it the same day as the test IMO. As you'l be in the zone. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

A full morning anyway!

Best of luck with the test. Just take the tester for a nice relaxed drive. If they feel safe with you in the car you'll pass no problem. I done mine in August so I know what your going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Good luck man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Ya man best of luck!!! :) just stay calm and relaxed and you'll fly it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

As my auld fella would say.

Don't f*ck up again son.

Daddy <3

A full morning anyway!

Best of luck, years gone by I'd prefer to sit the driving test than go to the dentist :pac:

• Advertisement

@ Cian, best of luck :)

So I checked my mpg, 41mpg. Not too bad considering I was stuck in traffic for an hour this morning :) what roadworks are they doing near the north quays again?

Arrived at the car at half 5 to find a pool of oil on the ground under it. Marvellous! I'll check the turbo later, as that's where the leak is coming from. Either a loose union or the clips on the return pipe aren't tight enough. I knew last nights oil change, foglight fix and heater fan swap were too handy :rolleyes:

And I almost got sideswiped on the M3 earlier. By some fat c*nt in a red Suzuki Cultus (00 one) doing, wait for it... Reading a f*cking book on an I-pad :rolleyes:

Do all us a favour, I hope you either crash into a garda car or do some serious damage to yourself, you absolute waste of space :mad:

Yes, I'm seriously pissed after seeing that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement