Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

dgt wrote: »
    @ Cian, best of luck :)

So I checked my mpg, 41mpg. Not too bad considering I was stuck in traffic for an hour this morning :) what roadworks are they doing near the north quays again?

Arrived at the car at half 5 to find a pool of oil on the ground under it. Marvellous! I'll check the turbo later, as that's where the leak is coming from. Either a loose union or the clips on the return pipe aren't tight enough. I knew last nights oil change, foglight fix and heater fan swap were too handy :rolleyes:

And I almost got sideswiped on the M3 earlier. By some fat c*nt in a red Suzuki Cultus (00 one) doing, wait for it... Reading a f*cking book on an I-pad :rolleyes:

Do all us a favour, I hope you either crash into a garda car or do some serious damage to yourself, you absolute waste of space :mad:

Yes, I'm seriously pissed after seeing that...

Jesus, it's those moments when you'd really love to be a Guard and just pull them over..

I hope you did the appropriate action, as in overtake them pull back in front of 'em, drop a few gears in the D-Turbo and give it the beans? Sending years worth of black soot into their windscreen and front of their Suzuki C**t? :)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »
    Jesus, it's those moments when you'd really love to be a Guard and just pull them over..

I hope you did the appropriate action, as in overtake them pull back in front of 'em, drop a few gears in the D-Turbo and give it the beans? Sending years worth of black soot into their windscreen and front of their Suzuki C**t? :)

:pac:

Nah lad, them days are put on hold for now, this yoke doesn't smoke.... So I kept going on my merry way and thought I'd share with everyone here :)

Plus it was pissing oil everywhere, the car is up on ramps cooling, I' m not sticking my hand to a red hot turbo.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I' m not sticking my hand to a red hot turbo.... :pac:

Ah go on. Take a video, it'll be a youtube hit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Nah lad, them days are put on hold for now, this yoke doesn't smoke.... So I kept going on my merry way and thought I'd share with everyone here :)

Plus it was pissing oil everywhere, the car is up on ramps cooling, I' m not sticking my hand to a red hot turbo.... :pac:

But........................but...................with no smoke there's no poke........:o

Ah go on. Take a video, it'll be a youtube hit! :pac:

Didn't have to! Was the bung, didn't use a new washer. Silly me eh :o I'm so getting rid of that aluminium sump next oil change, good ol steel sumps! :cool:
    166man wrote: »
    But........................but...................with no smoke there's no poke........:o

That much is evident with this thing!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Back in horse eating land (no not Ireland ;)) i have 2 clios parked outside the door and both of them are now missing a dim bulb, guess Ill have to change one.

Edit: got a new headlight unit for der alfa delivered during the week, even with the best access in the world (its on the kitchen table) and a great view, I still cant figure out how to get the headlight bulb in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Best of luck Cian, can be nerve wracking but it'll be over before you know it.

I'm just back from the NCT with my wife's Focus. Passed so am well happy! Jan '05 1.4 with 251k kms and all original parts so can't complain. Emissions were feck all too :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pred racer wrote: »
    Edit: got a new headlight unit for der alfa delivered during the week, even with the best access in the world (its on the kitchen table) and a great view, I still cant figure out how to get the headlight bulb in :(

Did you RTFM?

Damnit it's still sh*tein' out oil through the bung :mad::mad::mad:

I really should have put ptfe on it, alas it wasn't leaking before and the other car didn't leak a drop. Well, not through the sump bung anyway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I really should have put ptfe on it, alas it wasn't leaking before and the other car didn't leak a drop. Well, not through the sump bung anyway :rolleyes:

Back to the seicento?

Finished my latest college assignment, I've another due Saturday now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Back to the seicento?

Finished my latest college assignment, I've another due Saturday now :rolleyes:

Sadly, no. The Sei is in huge demand here for such a small car :P I've tightened it as much as I can, without going over that threshold of ringing the threads on the sump. I really should have put a new washer on but no copper ones the right size... To live and learn :)

Assignments? Don't get me started! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It sounds to me like it's a crush washer and needs to be changed each time. Had that on the RX8 and if you didn't change it, you usually got a leak. Often times you can get away with it but 80% of the time, you need a new one.

It sounds to me like it's a crush washer and needs to be changed each time. Had that on the RX8 and if you didn't change it, you usually got a leak. Often times you can get away with it but 80% of the time, you need a new one.

Yep that's what I'm thinking. The last one had a copper washer and with the 4 oil changes (in 5 months) I never had to change it.

I'll end up draining the oil and changing it when I have the time, to be replaced with a copper one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

If your feelin real stingy heating the copper washer with a blow torch apparently restores it's goodness. Give the mating surface on the sump and bung a good clean too.

Could have drove my van on to some simpletons lap the other day. Only I could see he was going to pull out in front of me from about 50m back I would have flattened him. I think he thought he had right of way coming onto a main road. I'll have a look for the junction on google maps.

I was following a friend of mine and we wanted to take the second left here. He was coming from the first left in a fiesta. I could see he wasn't looking to his right at all, even though he has a clear white line and a stop sign, so I lifted of and covered the brake. Just aswell I did. He just drove straight onto the main road. I nearly hit him then nearly hit the bank and signs as the van understeered with the wheels locked up on black ice. I slammed in the clutch and just about made it back onto the main road across the grass. Lucky the car behind me was paying attention and had backed off, or I would of had to hit the signs.

capturejuction.png

The lads in front thought he was going to pull out in front of them too only they drove across in front of him. I thought at first it might be that you cant indicate until very late but on reflection I think he was a little bit simple and didn't look to his right once. I pulled in at the side of the road a bit shook to do a u - turn. He drove past slowly with a bemused look on his face.

A close up of the junction. There was black ice in the shade from the sun around where the triangle is painted on the road.

closeq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Good luck today Cian! :)

Good luck today Cian! :)
    Yeah! I've an assessment after your test, hope it's good karma for you and me both Cian!

I'm getting my first semesters results tomorrow too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

67961_599769636715940_1597250490_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

There goes another clean washing-up bowl missing from the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I'm getting my first semesters results tomorrow too :P

Best of luck

Just waiting now to see did Cian pass, Hope he did. :cool:

Best of luck

Thanks. Did better then I thought I did. 64% average. Most of the scores that brought me down were the ones that I aren't relevant to my course anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Best of luck

Just waiting now to see did Cian pass, Hope he did. :cool:

Thats alot of pressure for the poor lad, statistically most dont pass first time.

Thanks. Did better then I thought I did. 64% average. Most of the scores that brought me down were the ones that I aren't relevant to my course anyway.

Ah right, what are you studien'? :)

Thats alot of pressure for the poor lad, statistically most dont pass first time.

Ah I know, But atleast he is having a go. :)

Ah right, what are you studien'? :)

Software Development in CIT. All of the computing modules are the same in first year so we have to do stuff like networking and Web dev which don't really apply to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Bingo, failed on observation and I got a one red mark.
    Was stopped at a roundabout turning left, looked both ways, checked my mirror and looked again. I move off, 1/4 around the turn some eejit comes flying around from the other side of and almost hits me. The tester failed me for observation there and said it was dangerous.

A bit disappointed but not disheartened, second test just booked and I'm on the cancellation list, fingers crossed for getting it soon.

My parents and instructor both though I was a sure shot, pity but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

....... statistically most dont pass first time.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up 100% of the time some of the time?

;)
    CianRyan wrote: »
    A bit disappointed but not disheartened, second test just booked and I'm on the cancellation list, fingers crossed for getting it soon.

Hard luck horse. :)

• Advertisement

Well done FH :)

Sorry to hear that Cian, that lad on the roundabout sounds like something you couldn't forsee :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement