Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The NCT has told me to go and get the perished covers on the brake cables at the back replaced. Would anyone have a rough idea how much this should cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The NCT has told me to go and get the perished covers on the brake cables at the back replaced. Would anyone have a rough idea how much this should cost?

What car!?
    Brake hoses are not expensive, less than a tenner a side maybe. Fitting them can be annoying if seized and the brake system should be bled (or flushed) afterwards. So basically this is a question of labour cost at your chosen mechanic, not a question of parts cost.

PS: Im assuming you mean brake hoses, not cables? "Cables" would only be used on the handbrake and if the sleeves are missing on them would be almost zero cost to "repair" as anything plastic pipe could be put over them. But again, assume you mean hoses.

When im selling the Octy in the next month or so, whats best way to resolve the tax ?

Hardly worth putting 3 months on it is it when i new owner can just get log book and tax it , if i decided too can you still declare a car of the road in retrospect
    Putting 3mths tax on it will make it much easier to sell IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, Matt Simis, I do mean hoses of course. It's an old Ford Mondeo, 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

CianRyan wrote: »
    Bit of a weird one, lads.
    My car is low on fuel, about 30 miles or less left in the tank, how ever, when I hoped in it to drive home from my girlfriends tonight, the fuel gauge flew up to nearly full and the thermostat was sitting with a little bit of heat in it.
    I sat there in show for a second, I knew I hadn't filled it, I've never done that and I'm flat broke right now, no one had driven the car in over 24 hours so there'd be no residual heat left in it. Confused as I was I set off.
    Over about 100 meters the temp went right down to cold, as it should be and over about 750m the fuel slowly went down to where it should be too.
    Once I was home I knocked it off, went into the house for a minute then went back out to move the car, this time no movement of the gauges.

I'm completely stumped with this one, as is Google.
    Anyone seen this before? I'm very confused. :confused:
    Does your car do that startup check where the dial goes to the top and back to it's current value after a few seconds? Mine does in the GP (temp and fuel specifically).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Whoops, pressed what I thought was snooze and woke up 3 hours later..... :o

On another note, the car was fantastic on the motorway :cool: however when I started driving it after the turbo swap there was a good smell of oil burning (even when the turbo was blown there was a huge wallop of blue from behind) and after changing a lot of possibilities (pipes, intercooler, exhaust) I can safely say I think the engine is scuttered.... Must see if this is common on XUD's when that happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The trip up and back to portlaoise....my car managed to swallow up 700ml of oil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    That's because the fuel moves about creatinga higher level where the measurement point is.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    I filled up my astra a couple of weeks ago brimmed it and when I switched it on the fuel gauge only went up to half full. I switched it of and on again and went to full. A similar thing would happen to my astra if on a hill for. Also when you are driving slow the needle moves up by a bit. I suppose the fuel gauge is only to give a rough guideline and will never be 100 percent accurate in its reading.

Ah I know why it happens lads, I was just suggesting it might be whats happening to Cians car. :)

Also @Ardennes and OSI, mine burnt many litres of petrol and oil...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nice one, lads. :)
    I reckon it was a short of sorts. No hills on sight and no start up checks, my car doesn't even have a fuel warning light. :p

Nice one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I got promoted today :) I was a Trainee Engineer and now Engineer

In motors terms the pay increase for the year will pay for my motor tax as its just a tiny percentage increase. I haven't been there long enough yet to have an annual pay review yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

upset i didnt make the meet sunday, wouldve being grand to see ya all just didnt have my car back in time sadly :(

i have a new reason to be hated now.

starting work in the NCT call center on Wednesday !!!

should be fun getting abused :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

starting work in the NCT call center on Wednesday !!!

should be fun getting abused :pac:

Heh, shouldnt have admitted that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The trip up and back to portlaoise....my car managed to swallow up 700ml of oil :D

:eek:

Mine only used about that much in >10k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Well lads had good fun at the meet yesterday and thanks to everyone who put up with me :o:p

I had a whoops-a-daisies when I got back from it though :(. I reversed out of my drive and into the side of a golf. I didn't look carefully at it and thought that it was parked up on the curb (as people normally do here) but it was parked on the road (basically had 3 feet less space than I thought). I was looking over my other shoulder because I was turning and thought that I was going to be closer to the car on that side :(. The whole thing came about because there is some b@stard in a fiesta that often parks blocking my drive (by about a foot) so you have to come in and out of the drive at a funny angle.
    The ins and outs of it are that I made sh*te of the front drivers side wing on their golf.:(:(:(

The hape never burned a drop between oil changes :cool:

As for the new car I'm not sure.... Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Mine only used about that much in >10k miles

Yeah it's a lot I know, but I guess it doesn't like being driven at it's top speed for miles chasing after MM :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Arrived in cork for college this morning. I looked out the window at my astra and a shine from the back wheel caught my eye. Looked at the wheel to see 4 black wheel nut covers and one bright silver nut disaster. The wheel nut cover must of fell off some time last night or this morning. Ill have to head to the Opel garage on Friday. I'd imagine they will say it has to be ordered they stock none of that. Is there anywhere online I could buy a matching one ? or is the main dealer the only place. It looks terrible with the one missing one.

On another note I only realised this morning how expensive diesel is in cork. I always fill up in Kilkenny. I never got diesel yesturday in Kilkenny partly laziness and partly being optimistic about the fuel consumption of the astra. Anyway diesel is 1.47 in Kilkenny at the moment arrived up in cork this morning looked at the fuel gauge it was slightly over quarter full. So I thought ill stick some diesel in it on Friday before I head back to Kilkenny then I see the price in one station 1.58 for diesel my mouth dropped open 11 cent difference that's a bit of a joke. Cork to Kilkenny on a quarter tank of fuel challenge accepted.

......... then I see the price in one station 1.58 for diesel my mouth dropped open 11 cent difference that's a bit of a joke. Cork to Kilkenny on a quarter tank of fuel challenge accepted.

Petrol isn't that expensive in many Cork stations :)

Petrol isn't that expensive in many Cork stations :)

Maybe it was just the garage I passed by. It seemed really expensive alright I couldn't believe my eyes the petrol was 1.59 in it which I thought was wired only 1 cent in the difference. Is the price of diesel in cork generally alot lower. Tbh I generally I just drive straight to ucc park up for the week and drive home on a Friday. Way too much traffic around cork and everywhere I need to go is generally within walking distance. I live in Kilkenny so there is next to no traffic :).

I think in most stations diesel is 5c/litre less than petrol but I'm not sure, I haven't paid over €1.579/litre for petrol in a while. There's a place across from Harvey Normans (unmanned, credit card fuel pumps) that's cheap for diesel and totally legit afaik, I'll be passing it tomorrow and will have a look at the price :)

I haven't seen anywhere as low as the Kilkenny prices though :)

The 1.47 in Kilkenny would be at the bigger stations around Kilkenny in the industrial estates but they would still be branded stations selling good fuel . Some of the smaller stations could be up to 1.50. I started college in cork in September and only noticed the difference this morning as I always just fill up in kilkenny just out of habit really.

• Advertisement

I think in most stations diesel is 5c/litre less than petrol but I'm not sure, I haven't paid over €1.579/litre for petrol in a while. There's a place across from Harvey Normans (unmanned, credit card fuel pumps) that's cheap for diesel and totally legit afaik, I'll be passing it tomorrow and will have a look at the price :)

I haven't seen anywhere as low as the Kilkenny prices though :)

There's an Esso out near the Airport with petrol still at 179.9 and that's no word of a lie. I pulled into get petrol there the other day thinking that they'd forgotten to change the display but found out it's actually 179.9 and diesel is 169.9.

I could not have driven out of there quick enough...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

166man wrote: »
    There's an Esso out near the Airport with petrol still at 179.9 and that's no word of a lie. I pulled into get petrol there the other day thinking that they'd forgotten to change the display but found out it's actually 179.9 and diesel is 169.9.

I could not have driven out of there quick enough...:eek:

There was an article in one of the papers about him a while back, he reckons it's the only way he can make a crust

Gary ITR wrote: »
    There was an article in one of the papers about him a while back, he reckons it's the only way he can make a crust

Unreal stuff. Maybe it's because his forecourt looks like a total dump. Regardless the only other petrol station near him is a self service yoke which I myself hate. If he got his act together and reduced his price to the rest of them he'd get far more customers including myself as I'd go there rather than a self service place.

Total joker...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

166man wrote: »
    the card top place down the road from the Airport is 1.48.9 for diesel big price difference for 1 km

Just brimmed the 406. 24.24 Litres, 283 miles. Works out at around 53mpg :D last time was around 41mpg, a rather large jump! The clogged cat was sapping a fair bit of mpg....

I'm very happy with that :cool:

dgt wrote: »
    Just brimmed the 406. 24.24 Litres, 283 miles. Works out at around 53mpg :D last time was around 41mpg, a rather large jump! The clogged cat was sapping a fair bit of mpg....

I'm very happy with that :cool:

That's good going is that a 1.9 or 2.0 diesel?I wouldn't get that in my 1.3 astra but i think the engine is just to small for the car in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's good going is that a 1.9 or 2.0 diesel?I wouldn't get that in my 1.3 astra but i think the engine is just to small for the car in my case.

1905cc indirect injection. Supposedly fierce inefficient! Only mod to the pump so far is turning the LDA pin around, I can't get at the max fuel screw! :mad:

That mileage is mostly from Sunday heading to and from the meet, a lot of motorway and main roads :) college today and random Saturday night drive...

Did you check the mpg before? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

the midway run must have given the car a bit of a clean dgt

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »

Did you check the mpg before? :)

Mine is doing between 49-51 mpg mainly long drives and a good bit of motorway driving. I'm not saying its bad or anything just it could be better. We had a 2007 new type megane 1.5dci a year ago or so and it averaged between 62-63 mpg every fill and never went below 61mpg and that's the truth it was amazing And between me and my dad it was driven hard enough just unbelievable. consumption. We should have never sold that one .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement