Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Katunga wrote: »
    the midway run must have given the car a bit of a clean dgt

It would have helped, that would be it's longest run so far :) it will be interesting to see what mpg I get when I put the new cat on...
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Mine is doing between 49-51 mpg mainly long drives and a good bit of motorway driving. I'm not saying its bad or anything just it could be better. We had a 2007 new type megane 1.5dci a year ago or so and it averaged between 62-63 mpg every fill and never went below 61mpg and that's the truth it was amazing And between me and my dad it was driven hard enough just unbelievable. consumption. We should have never sold that one .

That's very reasonable, where that wins is the tax: 358 vs 710 for me!

What bhp is your van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

dgt wrote: »
    It would have helped, that would be it's longest run so far :) it will be interesting to see what mpg I get when I put the new cat on...

That's very reasonable, where that wins is the tax: 358 vs 710 for me!

What bhp is your van?
    It's the 90 bhp model. It's a bit slow of the mark but from 2nd up the power is adequate. It is obviously slow when off boast so the turbo kicks in at 1750 revs and it is fairly powerful then. If you floor it at around 1800 revs in thirds forth it moves very fast for a 1.3. It's really just about keeping it in the powerband and if you change gears too fast and it drops back to 1400 revs or so it would feel very sluggish and dead. It suits me and as you said the cheap tax is a major bonus.

Bpmull wrote: »
    It's the 90 bhp model. It's a bit slow of the mark but from 2nd up the power is adequate. It is obviously slow when off boast so the turbo kicks in at 1750 revs and it is fairly powerful then. If you floor it at around 1800 revs in thirds forth it moves very fast for a 1.3. It's really just about keeping it in the powerband and if you change gears too fast and it drops back to 1400 revs or so it would feel very sluggish and dead. It suits me and as you said the cheap tax is a major bonus.

Consider a remap? Something is telling me that the 90bhp can be remapped to about 110, whether this will give better mpg is debatable with that engine size in that body though...

Edit: I was right :)

I've woken up to a blanketing of snow.... This will be fun on the roads today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Oh the fun and games leaving the estate this morning. A guy sitting there at 630am spinning his wheels going no where.

Well i made it into work alright so I guess that is something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

coolisin wrote: »
    Oh the fun and games leaving the estate this morning. A guy sitting there at 630am spinning his wheels going no where.

Was all set for fun and games here too, but even the snow wouldn't come to limerick city! It was remarkably free flowing, even snow in the next county usually has people crawling around.

coolisin wrote: »

Was all set for fun and games here too, but even the snow wouldn't come to limerick city! It was remarkably free flowing, even snow in the next county usually has people crawling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bah, no fun today. Lots of a snow,but it is all wet snow and scooby did not slipped even for a second :(.

Lads, what's the shhhhtory with insurance after you had an accsident? I think it's over 3 years since misses wrote of Merc. Does she has to declare that she had an accsident and there was a claim when gettin a quote till the rest of her life?
    We did not bothered to shop around for insurance as it only gone up 20% after incident. Though 3 years in it does not go low a lot and I am afraid that with new female pricing, she might get stabed by insurance company. I want to to try and shop around, but I dunno how good chances will be.

OSI wrote: »

They usually ask if you've had a claim or accident in the last 5 years. Best to ask the individual companies though.
    Some only ask about the last 3years so you might be rid of it now SH, no guarantee the "3yearr" companies would be cheaper tho.

Cheers lads. Will need to see what will we get offered this year.

By the way, any of you males got cheaper insurance due to this whole gender equality stuff? Any females you know got hit already? Would love to know how "fair" it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Male insurance won't budge due to this. Female insurance will only increase to meet the value of male insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Totally just kicked the kids asses at snowball fights.

So what if they are 5&3.

Male insurance won't budge due to this. Female insurance will only increase to meet the value of male insurance.

Surely that wont happen? Twould be blatant profiteering :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

RoverJames wrote: »

Not really. The bonus reduction for being a lady was just removed.

RoverJames wrote: »

I amn pretty sure i heard that male insurance was to go slightly down due to new changes, but i guess Insurance companies just took all of it and ran away laughing at all the suckers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

turns out aviva changed their policy in december and now you have to take the ignition test if you have a license less than 5 years :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

turns out aviva changed their policy in december and now you have to take the ignition test if you have a license less than 5 years :mad:

I think i have mine 5 years....well I hope I do!

But wouldn't that reduce your quote anyway? It's supposed to be easy. I remember trying to do it to reduce my quote with them:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But wouldn't that reduce your quote anyway? It's supposed to be easy. I remember trying to do it to reduce my quote with them:p

It's a joke. I did it years upon years ago.

It consisted of sitting in a hotel for a while, eyeing up some cracking young one. Getting lectured on how to drive "safely"

Then sitting in some blokes car and told "instead of jamming on let the car glide into a box junction, it's the safe thing to do" and then tipping off to the beach for an hour for an ice cream before he dropped me and the other person off to the hotel.

I even got a distinction :D

ive mine 4 in august. it seems to have gotten much stricter in the last while i have heard mugs and this will be my first policy with them so id have no way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thats crazy some of you guys got snow, its sunny up here in Dublin land...windy but sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My 10 year license only has a year left, starting to feel old :(

Not as old as MugMugs but old all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gary ITR wrote: »

My 10 year license only has a year left, starting to feel old :(

I'm half way though my second 10yr. :(

It does have its bonuses though - insurance is feck all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thats crazy some of you guys got snow, its sunny up here in Dublin land...windy but sunny.

Taken this morning:

419613_4878353590228_1246140280_n.jpg

the dirt on the front alloy contrasts well with the clean snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I love your car MM,next boards meet i bags a spin :D seen another cork reg one on Sunday on the M7 with the reg 07 C 335 1 - i hope it wasn't a 320 as i bowed to the reg and 'let him on' :)

The snow got packed into ice and made an interesting drive into Naaaaavan this morning :D

Snow tyres..... Pfffffft!

I can't put up pics of the snow as not at a pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I was out to play in the snow last night and play I did. :p
    It had melted off the roads fairly quickly though, gone in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gary ITR wrote: »

At least I've still got my rugged good looks and wavy hair ! ;)

I actually renew next week when I get back from London.

I am quite looking forward to my new fancy pancy card.

I shall gloat religiously in here once I get it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

MugMugs wrote: »

wavy hair
    Keep it in a bag somewhere do you?

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I noticed a little bit of oil in the driveway, not sure if its from my Audi. Car underside looked dry. Going to check the oil levels as soon it stops being so damn cold outside.

Drain plug? It's my rececnt issue....

Get out there and get stuck in, cold is an illusion of the mind, no excuses!!! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement