Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I would expect it to fetch more because it is an auto. It's a very rare thing, to have a car in that kind of price range, with that small an engine with an auto box. So there is a premium associated with it.

My Auto Polo sold for more than the manuals I was comparing it with. I priced it higher and got the higher price.

I was always under the impression that the value of a car dropped because of it being an auto, now i dont know where i got that from, its just always been "a known fact" to anyone ive talked to about auto's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Lads just quickly what would you expect to pay for a front wing for a mark4 golf from someone breaking a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

50Max if it was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

IK09 wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that the value of a car dropped because of it being an auto, now i dont know where i got that from, its just always been "a known fact" to anyone ive talked to about auto's

It does usually if the majority of the models are Auto's and the a few are manuals, supply and demand. Eg 540i or 850i commands a premium as a 6sp over the Auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I have my astra near 8 months and I only discovered tonight what is known as "follow me home lights". Just pull the headlight stalk towards you and it puts on dipped lights, reversing lights, parking lights. It's a useful feature specially around our house which can be dark at times. The lights go off after around 2 minutes. You learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you got OPCOM I'm sure you could recode it to make them go off sooner. You'd have a very long driveway if it took you 2 minutes to get from the car to the house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I want to fit my pioneer avic double din but not sure if i should leave it untill after I vrt the car... would it make any differance?

+1 for after. The more paddy spec a car is when they inspect it, the less you will have to pay in VRT. They can however find out everything the car came with from the factory so don't over-paddy it!

If you got OPCOM I'm sure you could recode it to make them go off sooner. You'd have a very long driveway if it took you 2 minutes to get from the car to the house :P

I must time them tomorrow and see maybe its not all out two minutes. It was useful tonight as I was taking food shopping out of the boot.Can you just buy opcom online or is it only dealers that have it? As if you want to do anything with the car it seems to require opcom. I was going to try and get the display for the trip computer for my car. But reading up on it it seems complicated as the radio has to have the same code as the screen and you need opcom to get it to work. Still it would be nice to have a proper display with a trip computer.

Haven't a clue, the one to ask about that is Ardennes, our resident opel fanboi :P

I do know that on my car, the follow me home lights stay on until you lock the car.

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue, the one to ask about that is Ardennes, our resident opel fanboi :P

I do know that on my car, the follow me home lights stay on until you lock the car.

Thanks I must have a chat with him and see. On the astra the home lights stay on even when it's locked. But they only stay on for 2 minutes max so its not too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

You can buy op com off eBay and sometimes on adverts too, it shouldn't cost more than 40quid really for the software and the obd lead. If you're getting it make ypsure you get the most updated version as there are many!
    The follow me home lights on my car stay on for 30secs as standard, not sure if that can be adjusted I certainly haven't seen anyone do it. Never heard of it lasting 2mins either though! Maybe cos you have a van they might have thought you would be longer removing stuff from the van than a car when getting home?
    As far as the stereo is concerned there are 3main types of screen BID CID GID ranging from basic trip functions, to instant consumption and other bits, to sat nav. It is true that the display has to be divorced from the stereo before being installed in another car, if your van has the standard cd30 you'd be best off getting the head unit and display together as it would need coding with op com and the standard cd30 is sh!te. Or just get an aftermarket pioneer head unit and a display which is already divorced as its easier.
    Op com is dead handy though, you'd be amazed all the things you can do with it.
    It's the everyday persons version of tech2 which the dealers hAve, for a fraction of the price albeit with less abilities.

And on the Astra it doesn't matter if you lock the car the follow me home lights will stay on. The process as far as I can remember is, park up, open door, remove key and flick the light stalk forwards and lock away as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This oil burning lark is just getting worse.... I fear for my health as I drive with the windows open! :eek:

Anyone recommend a code reader for the 406..... Specifically to turn off the airbag light! 16 pin OBD plug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

dgt wrote: »
    This oil burning lark is just getting worse.... I fear for my health as I drive with the windows open! :eek:

Anyone recommend a code reader for the 406..... Specifically to turn off the airbag light! 16 pin OBD plug :)
    Some reek in Navan earlier!;)

Some reek in Navan earlier!;)

I didn't even get near the mixture screw! :eek: couldn't be me for once :p:p

I didn't even get near the mixture screw! :eek: couldn't be me for once :p:p
    Heading for slane at the roundabout at the round o?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I've a ****ty little code reader you can have a lend of if it's any use to you, worked for an airbag light on a clio

Thanks Ardennes for all the help. See my van has the tiny display with two buttons at the bottom and when you press bc it just says no function. So if I bought a headunit large display and cd30 etc from the same car with the same code and put it in my van would the trip computer work then or would you still need tech2 ?

If you buy it all together then you won't need tech2. You might need op com but I think once the display and radio are matching it's ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

sean1141 wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday.. drove from london to portlaoise (apart from the ferry obviously) on just a little over half a tank! Took 40 liters to fill the tank with the light on! Not bad I think.

Looks great - well wear Sean,first port of call will be Joe yeah? :D

I once got from London (via Swansea) to Carlow on 50 litres i was delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just got an insurance quote 110euro cheaper than the quote I got from my own ins company, I'm just in shock loyalty means nothing to them, can't wait to tell them goodbye :D

Heading for slane at the roundabout at the round o?

No way! :eek: That wasn't you in the Golf behind?!

tuborg_man wrote: »
    I've a ****ty little code reader you can have a lend of if it's any use to you, worked for an airbag light on a clio

Cheers! It might just do the trick :) I'll send a pm later :)

I've seen 1.6l mentioned twice, surely this isn't enough when your Astra took 4. Even if it is a 6speed

@ Ardennes I know I'm about a week late but I checked the receipt for the oil for my astra and I bought 3 litres and there was a tiny bit left so it took about 2.8 litre. Sorry for the delay. Did you get yours changed yet?

No way! :eek: That wasn't you in the Golf behind?!
    Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Where's bubble wrap gone?

Got a red card on the 4th, despite me getting more than a few of them I can't recall if they're a ban or not. Nice lad is bubble wrap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

RoverJames wrote: »
    Got a red card on the 4th, despite me getting more than a few of them I can't recall if they're a ban or not. Nice lad is bubble wrap :)

Got popped IIRC

• Advertisement

Slow puncture?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement