Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

1500e for insurance on a 3mps, the choices are becoming endless :D

Found one for you! :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4190182

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i saw that, and thats the one i used for a quote, but didnt wanna link it in case I made anyone (MM) cry.
    I mean, what the absolute **** did they do to that car

i saw that, and thats the one i used for a quote, but didnt wanna link it in case I made anyone (MM) cry.
    I mean, what the absolute **** did they do to that car

:pac: Ya, its lucky the white are only stickers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

It does look awful like that but a removal of the white stickers and the replacement of an original front grille and it's pretty original. Alloys aren't great either though!

Edit:

Strange actually, the front driver side alloy is totally off center inside the wheel arch!?

View2-15720331.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I posted that in the skanger thread because it did make me cry!!

• Advertisement

coolisin wrote: »
    I posted that in the skanger thread because it did make me cry!!

Ya, that's where I got it from. :) sorry...

this is very nice! http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3975044 1300 insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

http://t.co/HpBdAXFR Most reliable car, last fifteen years.
    http://t.co/ofc7UX2G Least reliable cars, last fifteen years.
    Couple of surprises there.

No problem with the lancer as most reliable though, I had one and drove the arse out of it for 2 years, sold it to my brother in law(a builder) who drove the arse out of it for 3 more, total failures in that time, 1 wheel bearing:D

Ha ha ha:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Ya, that's where I got it from. :) sorry...

If that guy or girl is here I will give you a Mazda 3 you can put all that **** on and ill take and look after that mps, like nobody else, well actually maybe MM would be better, but I'd give it a great home!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's not because of that though.
    New car sales are at their highest in the first few months of the year but now only plebs will be driving 131 plates after June, this'll give the car sales figures a much needed boost in the second half of the year.

Sure they'll tell us it's because people are superstitious but that's only so we don't get angry and not buy cars. :p

Cian, that's bull in fairness. It's a nice thought, but IMO there was more of a chance of someone buying a car in the second half of the year when it wasn't blatantly obvious they'd done so. Now because it's so obvious it's a second half of the year car, more people will just wait until the following year to buy.

I won't be surprised if this actually reduces second half sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Cian, that's bull in fairness. It's a nice thought, but IMO there was more of a chance of someone buying a car in the second half of the year when it wasn't blatantly obvious they'd done so. Now because it's so obvious it's a second half of the year car, more people will just wait until the following year to buy.

I won't be surprised if this actually reduces second half sales.

Actually that is a way I never looked at it either. The whole thing is stupid to me because I couldn't give a toss how old the car I'm driving is.
    I just don't get it :confused:

pred racer wrote: »
    Ha ha ha:pac:

This is the best...
    2.3 turbo, 260hp, it reaches 100km for 6 seconds

"96km/h" - "9...7km/h" - "9....8km/h" "oh here it comes" "9......9km/h" 100KM/H :eek: "Oh back to 99kn/h..." :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

So what you're saying is, having a newer car is a bad thing? Can't say I agree with that.

We'll see in a few months anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Is this just for 2013 or will it be permanent now? If I was in the market for a new car, I'd hold off a year if I could avoid such a daft scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

So what you're saying is, having a newer car is a bad thing? Can't say I agree with that.

What he's saying is the new reg system is a load of bollox, it looks stupid and ruined what was a simple and straightforeward(ish) system, thanks to superstitious fuddy duddies and aul biddies everyone will know what half of the year you bought the car, thus reg snobbery etc etc atari jaguar

Ireland twisted logic as per norm :rolleyes:

just let some other fella buy the car new and pick it up for half the price a short few years later after the heavy depreciation has ended and you wont have to worry about it. dont see myself ever buying a new car.

Not saying that a new car is a bad thing, but the obsession to "get the newest reg you can afford" thing drives me mad.
    I drive a '99 car now but I could get a '97 car next that I would consider an upgrade (if it was a better car) but most people would consider changing from a '99 to a '97 a downgrade no matter what the cars were.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Not saying that a new car is a bad thing, but the obsession to "get the newest reg you can afford" thing drives me mad.
    I drive a '99 car now but I could get a '97 car next that I would consider an upgrade (if it was a better car) but most people would consider changing from a '99 to a '97 a downgrade no matter what the cars were.

I went from a 01 to a 00 and now a 98, each an upgrade of the previous for different reasons :D I don't think my latest venture was great tbh...

It's not a newer car though, is it? It likely just means it's probably been sitting on the forecourt longer without an owner.

The kind of person this new scheme is meant to influence are the ones who won't buy a 2011 car in the second half of the year because they'll wait for 2012 to have a newer car, right? Why on earth would they now decide to buy a second half car when you've made it blatantly obvious to the rest of the world it's a second-half car?

If anything you've discouraged them more from buying.

dgt wrote: »
    I went from a 01 to a 00 and now a 98, each an upgrade of the previous for different reasons :D I don't think my latest venture was great tbh...

Are you sick of the 406 ???

I thought that was the only thing that you loved more than a Bravo :p

But on a serious note what happened?

• Advertisement

Are you sick of the 406 ???

I thought that was the only thing that you loved more than a Bravo :p

But on a serious note what happened?

The main reason I got it was because I couldn't find a TD75 or TD100 Bravo. Not 1 in several months! Even a JTD is near impossible to find in Ireland... Yes, I had a TD100 van and scrapped it :o and about 2 months after I got the 406, a TD100 appeared in Carlow for about €800. I nearly ate the table when I saw that!

The 406 has that seriously annoying window problem I just haven't got time yet to bodgeify, which is very annoying in everyday life. Approaching the Tesco carpark for example, I have a card for the barrier, the window might work first time, it might take minutes to get it to work (I usually open the door, saves hassle). Very annoying at 5 to 7 in the morning. Creaking at the front and the horrendous slop at the back, along with the airbag light staying on (caused by relays) ruin what is a very nice car :(

I genuinely like it though, I just should have started out with a better example or a 1996 example (rumour has it the 96 cars use a different ecu that doesn't semi control the diesel pump :p) was thinking of shredding my one and going again with a better (and prefably china blue) example :P

I also like to shout D-Turbo, make a smoke cloud and hear her go powwwwwwwwwww :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The main reason I got it was because I couldn't find a TD75 or TD100 Bravo. Not 1 in several months! Even a JTD is near impossible to find in Ireland... Yes, I had a TD100 van and scrapped it :o and about 2 months after I got the 406, a TD100 appeared in Carlow for about €800. I nearly ate the table when I saw that!

The 406 has that seriously annoying window problem I just haven't got time yet to bodgeify, which is very annoying in everyday life. Approaching the Tesco carpark for example, I have a card for the barrier, the window might work first time, it might take minutes to get it to work (I usually open the door, saves hassle). Very annoying at 5 to 7 in the morning. Creaking at the front and the horrendous slop at the back, along with the airbag light staying on (caused by relays) ruin what is a very nice car :(

I genuinely like it though, I just should have started out with a better example or a 1996 example (rumour has it the 96 cars use a different ecu that doesn't semi control the diesel pump :p) was thinking of shredding my one and going again with a better (and prefably china blue) example :P

I also like to shout D-Turbo, make a smoke cloud and hear her go powwwwwwwwwww :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

So it's just electrical nightmares with that particular car thats driving you mad.
    I was just wondering there, what kind of power increase can you actually get from that engine from messing with the diesel pump and what have you?

On a separate note... I think there's a thermostat borked :(

After an hour on the motorway...
    enILW.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

On a separate note... I think there's a thermostat borked :(

After an hour on the motorway...
    enILW.jpg

My car looked like that for ages, then it had a sudden death and the temperature plunged to the bottom halfway down to Cork.

New thermostat fixed it, car now has normal temperature :0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's changing the thermostat like on you car CM?

Mine had a new one put in about a year ago, maybe less!

why do people spend €5 on an ad and only put this in the description :confused::confused::confused: the mind boggles...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4222471

What's changing the thermostat like on you car CM?

Mine had a new one put in about a year ago, maybe less!

Well from what I gather, there's two thermostats on mine, one in the EGR... it's anyones guess which one (if not both) are banjaxed, but my money would be on the main engine one rather than EGR.

Here's a DIY:
    http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e46/320d_(M47)_TOUR/Engine/thermostat_and_connections/

Also has other BMW listed....

So it's just electrical nightmares with that particular car thats driving you mad.
    I was just wondering there, what kind of power increase can you actually get from that engine from messing with the diesel pump and what have you?

Absolutely wrecking my head! But I haven't had much time to try sort it fully...

I must get it dyno'ed, had 92 as standard. It's certainly much faster than when I first got it! :cool: not just the diesel pump, the cat is cut off and turbo turned up but the bosch pump is very tunable. Costs peanuts to tune up to! A set of torx keys, 10mm/15mm spanner and a stubby flatblade screwdriver will see an increase in performance

Must get a boost gauge when finances permit...

Absolutely wrecking my head! But I haven't had much time to try sort it fully...

I must get it dyno'ed, had 92 as standard. It's certainly much faster than when I first got it! :cool: not just the diesel pump, the cat is cut off and turbo turned up but the bosch pump is very tunable. Costs peanuts to tune up to! A set of torx keys, 10mm/15mm spanner and a stubby flatblade screwdriver will see an increase in performance

Must get a boost gauge when finances permit...

It's fantastic how tunable it is. I would love to be able to tune my car like that:pac:
    If you do sort it all you will love it much more than one that you buy already working perfectly. I would at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That needle should be sitting bang in the middle CM.

Howz your heat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement