Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Goddamn malware warning for that thread :(

I was enjoying it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It's more than likely an ignition coil. Same kind of thing happened my sister's Polo and as far as I know, it's the same bucket of sh!t

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Passed NCT today to 4/15 !! yay

So after trying all possible outcomes with liberty and seeing what im able to get insured on relatively cheap with them my list is as follows for the moment:

Cooper s r53 (still no.1) 1100e insurance
    Celica vvtli (dont really see this happening) 1350e
    93 Aero 2.0T (no.2 at this stage, seem very well kitted and 210bhp is nice) 1250e
    t5 s40, (rare, and still quite expensive, only 2 for sale on donedeal recently at over 6k for 2004) 1300e
    530i e39 (not really quick enough for tax paid) 1450e
    323i e36 (hard to find a clean one not to mind one with facelifted centre console) 1300e
    mx5 1.8 ( insurance seems to be an issue all round for these!) 1850e from first ireland

r53 still seems to cover all boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you're looking at BMWs it should really be an e46 325, forget the 323, no point paying big tax on the slower model.

And tbh, I'll probably get a cooper S for my next car too, so I'd prefer if you went first:D

• Advertisement

id prefer a nice e36 to e46 though, and with the e46 being heavier i would imagine theres much difference in speed?
    dont worry i think a 210bhp cooper s would be mucho fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

If you're looking at BMWs it should really be an e46 325, forget the 323, no point paying big tax on the slower model.

And tbh, I'll probably get a cooper S for my next car too, so I'd prefer if you went first:D

Walking out of the boulangerie yesterday behind a particularly fine specimen, (froggy birds ftw btw:P) and she gets into a Non colour, horrible silver Mini. So Im thinking, nice girl, nice car, what could possibly go wrong? It was a bloody daysul....... Ive never heard such a racket, what are those things fueled with.........gravel??
    Completely ruined an awesome bit of perving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm lads. I just witnessed Garda making sweet love to a local tractor driver outside my house just now. Are there any regulation, nct, tax and insurances for tractors in Ireland? That tractor is as rough as a "Saturday night Virgin". I am surprised it is even able to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hmmm lads. I just witnessed Garda making sweet love to a local tractor driver outside my house just now. Are there any regulation, nct, tax and insurances for tractors in Ireland? That tractor is as rough as a "Saturday night Virgin". I am surprised it is even able to move.

The tractor should be taxed and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Making sweet love to a tractor? :eek:

Times must be hard down in the "Real Capital"

Tax, Insurance and Road Daysul one would assume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pred racer wrote: »

Seriously ?

"I don't care if you're Cheryl Cole, you drive a Diesel. You shall not have me....."

REALLY?

Loud diesels can drown out other sounds in public places :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MugMugs wrote: »
    Making sweet love to a tractor? :eek:

Times must be hard down in the "Real Capital"

Tax, Insurance and Road Daysul one would assume

"local tractor driver" you dirty boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

"local tractor driver" you dirty boy.

I read it as making love to the tractor too. :p

So much BMW Mini love around here, I wouldn't be into that sort of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CianRyan wrote: »
    So much BMW Mini love around here, I wouldn't be into that sort of this.

Mini S has to be one of the best hot hatches in that price range though. Nothing to do with it being Mini/BMW, more to do with it being a super charged pocket rocket!

Mini S has to be one of the best hot hatches in that price range though. Nothing to do with it being Mini/BMW, more to do with it being a super charged pocket rocket!

Ah I know, I can appreciate what they are, a mate use to have one and without being an S it was still a hell of a car.
    As good as it was though I just never really liked it. I hated the interior, never felt comfortable in it.

Ardennes, did you ever think about an S14 or S15?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Or Turbocharged...

Cooper S works is one of the most fun car's i've driven.

S14 or S15 is a completely different animal to any hothatch and not to be taken lightly.serious cars though but i think he had trouble getting insured on a TT so they are going to laugh in his face if he asks about a sylvia

CianRyan wrote: »
    Ah I know, I can appreciate what they are, a mate use to have one and without being an S it was still a hell of a car.
    As good as it was though I just never really liked it. I hated the interior, never felt comfortable in it.

Ardennes, did you ever think about an S14 or S15?
    i wouldnt mind an s15 but i can only imagine the insurance! not too sure i could live with one either
    the interior of the mini is poor enough! the seats arent verynice and the centre console is horribly plasticky.
    anyone here driven a 93 aero? i always hated the interior of them but i watched a few videos on youtube going through all the buttons and its so strange i actually like it now :o
    seems well kitted too!
    i really like this colour http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4496801

tossy wrote: »
    Or Turbocharged...

Cooper S works is one of the most fun car's i've driven.

S14 or S15 is a completely different animal to any hothatch and not to be taken lightly.serious cars though but i think he had trouble getting insured on a TT so they are going to laugh in his face if he asks about a sylvia

Not to be taken lightly at all but if he can get quoted on the 92 Aero then it shouldn't be too difficult.
    I mean you're only looking at 220PS in the s14 versus the 250PS in the S15, presuming you go for the full on turbo versions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

No comparing a Sabb 93 and an S14,if i had a 93 i'd let my granny drive it,if i had an s14 i'd only let maybe 2 people i know drive it. :D the are hard to insure for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

i wouldnt mind an s15 but i can only imagine the insurance! not too sure i could live with one either
    the interior of the mini is poor enough! the seats arent verynice and the centre console is horribly plasticky.
    anyone here driven a 93 aero? i always hated the interior of them but i watched a few videos on youtube going through all the buttons and its so strange i actually like it now :o
    seems well kitted too!
    i really like this colour http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4496801

A guy I know has one of them but it's a convertible, it's actually his wife's car but anyway, I think it's 2006 with the Aero thing going and when I was in it, I was incredibly disappointed. Seriously when you're in one and he tell's you it's 210BHP, you won't believe him.

It wasn't anywhere near as fast as it should have been, didn't handle very well although that's understandable given it's a convertible, it ate fuel like it was going out of fashion and there was no noise from it.

It just felt like a bog standard car albeit a little quicker. You're early 20's Ardennes IIRC, get something more fun than a Saab saloon that you'll be bored of after a week. :)

• Advertisement

indeed, id say a 93 could have 300bhp and id still get a quote to be honest, but a 192 bhp civic? not a hope! surprised i was even given a quote for the vvtli celica tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Would you say there's a market for these high spec, big engine cars?

OSI wrote: »
    Was the €1,100 quote for a JCW?
    no no a standard 163bhp one. but 400e for a 15% pully reduction and map would sort that power discrepancy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

pred racer wrote: »
    Walking out of the boulangerie yesterday behind a particularly fine specimen, (froggy birds ftw btw:P) and she gets into a Non colour, horrible silver Mini. So Im thinking, nice girl, nice car, what could possibly go wrong? It was a bloody daysul....... Ive never heard such a racket, what are those things fueled with.........gravel??
    Toyota yaris diesel engine up until 07ish, ubiquitous PSA 1.6 diesel engine after that afaik. Silver is crap choice on the mini's, although the Cooper S "titanium" colour is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Not sure I'd want to put that much power through the standard engine tbh. Dad had enough trouble with his stock in the 3 years he head. Blew a spark plug out of the head and more.
    Nah, the R53 are well able for it. There's a few around with the pulley upgrade. 400 seems very cheap, I though it was a bit more than that.

But yeah, the spark plug thing seems to happen to some alright - seems to be plug dependent and replacement/inspection interval related- the projectile plug thing can happen if you've left some plugs in for a long time without removing and refitting (as you might with long life plugs). Shouldn't really untorque themselves I suppose but they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Today I saw;

2010 C63 AMG, 10-LH-1963 or something similar to that
    Merc G Wagon
    New model A8 next to a facelift Alfa 166
    Merc R class

Not sure I'd want to put that much power through the standard engine tbh. Dad had enough trouble with his stock in the 3 years he head. Blew a spark plug out of the head and more.

That Chrysler engine is very solid, it can take well above 200 but it'd do me. You need different spark plugs too with the new pully/belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How nice: if I stick a screwdriver in the lock of a 406, hammer it in and turn the barrel just spins round but won't unlock! :)

Also discovered I have 1 307 hubcap. Mismatched :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

485379_10152587596175637_1145279420_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Today marked looking at the seventh van to replace my astra it was wrecked too. Honest to god how some people treat there vans. I am certain now I would like a focus 1.6 reasonable amount of power coming from a 1.3 good on diesel and seem to be reliable when minded. I have tracked down a spotless focus van can't be faulted but its a bit over budget. But at the same time I'd rather spend a bit more to get a clean van. So hopefully this could be the one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement