Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That needle should be sitting bang in the middle CM.

Howz your heat?

Yeah, I know....

Heat is nicht gut. It's not non-existant, but think I had to turn it up to 28C to get any real heat into the car...

At least I hadn't done a coolant replacement yet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It's fantastic how tunable it is. I would love to be able to tune my car like that:pac:
    If you do sort it all you will love it much more than one that you buy already working perfectly. I would at least!

No remapping all mechanical, the way it should be :D

True, I got a fantastic buzz from seeing the van turn out almost as I had it pictured in my mind, from a rusty non running heap destined to the crusher if I didn't get it :) I swore after it I wouldn't put as much work into my next daily hack.... So far so good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, I know....

Heat is nicht gut. It's not non-existant, but think I had to turn it up to 28C to get any real heat into the car...

At least I hadn't done a coolant replacement yet :pac:

I'd put good money on the stat so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    No remapping all mechanical, the way it should be :D

True, I got a fantastic buzz from seeing the van turn out almost as I had it pictured in my mind, from a rusty non running heap destined to the crusher if I didn't get it :) I swore after it I wouldn't put as much work into my next daily hack.... So far so good :P

Sure it's important to put the work into your daily, well it is for me anyway 'cos thats where something crappy really annoys you. My projects are all dormant at the moment :(

*Mutters and whinges about being a student

Whats the plan for the Bravo van? You still have it right?

Sure it's important to put the work into your daily, well it is for me anyway 'cos thats where something crappy really annoys you. My projects are all dormant at the moment :(

*Mutters and whinges about being a student

Whats the plan for the Bravo van? You still have it right?

Snap! All other stuff has been put on the long finger. All these lovely new brake components, t belt, bushes for the E34 and I cant get the time :(

The van is still sitting at the front, haven't started it in a bit... I have many ideas for it, insure it commercially and use it again as a weekend van, get a TD75/TD125 lump and shoehorn it in or go all out track van and stick an Alfa TS engine under the bonnet (156's and 166's with Twin Sparks are peanuts and usually quite rough bodywise. Both would be candidates for breaking as spares up here)

Probably the most realistic, I'll tear out the engine and decide what to do from there :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Snap! All other stuff has been put on the long finger. p

Ah lads, stop whinging.

Imagine working full time and doing a degree :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah lads, stop whinging.

That's what I do...
    • 32 hours a week in the local Tesco, reduced from 40. Start at 7 everyday
    • Evenings taken up doing research for college
    • Playing soldier once a week
    • Saturday Jobs
    • Sunday and Monday taken up with college and associated assignments

I generally don't let it bother me but when I see my poor cars outside not getting the attention they need it makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4220681

yes. i. would.

no tax, or test, bit of a childhood fantasy car but isn't it lovely.

Wouldn't contemplate working full time and further education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ah lads, stop whinging.

How are you getting on with that?
    Its something ive been thinking of for a while!

• Advertisement

I generally don't let it bother me but when I see my poor cars outside not getting the attention they need it makes me sad :(

It's awful isn't it. At the moment i'm watching my jeep (Suzuki Samurai) disolve into the drive :(
    Next summer i'm going to do a serious job on it, well at least get it structurally sound :P.

I don't like the JDM ones tbh.

Ah lads, stop whinging.

likewise to dgt. although i only do 20 hours a week working for tesco and ususally give a ballpark of 40 hours to the degree. and have a social life :pac: i love it, be worse if there was nothing to do :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't like the JDM ones tbh.

it's probably my age :pac: i just dont see the UK ones having the same character to them. that said, i wouldn't say no...

dgt and Toyotafanboi how many hours are you in college a week?
    Im in for 36 hours and after assignments etc I just don't have the energy for work :o
    At least I can mooch off the parents for the most part and get money for hobbies (cars :p) from working over the summer!

That's what I do...
    • 32 hours a week in the local Tesco, reduced from 40. Start at 7 everyday
    • Evenings taken up doing research for college
    • Playing soldier once a week
    • Saturday Jobs
    • Sunday and Monday taken up with college and associated assignments

Here is mine.
    Tue fly to france, about 8 hrs door to door
    Wed to mon, 6x12hr shifts back to Ireland mon night another 8 hrs
    Tue-fri recover from above, and do whatever the hell I like,:)
    Fri-sun have my kids for the weekend:D
    Mon tidy the house, get my **** together to start all over again.

House, quads, bike and garden all tend to get neglected!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Looks like im back driving the Octavia for afew weeks while i rest ST and fix Octavia's problems for sale, oh boy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm used to it RJ, last year for certification purposes I did a pile of exams, and literally spent the entire year studying to keep up to date with changes.

Outside of the Masters I'm doing I've three qualifications to aim for in the next year, it's typical IT you have to keep up.:rolleyes:
    pred racer wrote: »
    How are you getting on with that?
    Its something ive been thinking of for a while!

Pretty good pred :) It's a masters, very closely related to what I do and my professional qualifications, so it's not too bad. The whole discipline of getting assignments in is ok as well, I'm used to that having clients in consulting.

Spend time when I'm away doing work on it as well, not much else to do in the evenings. Also what I like is that it's modular/semester based, so each chunk of work goes towards your yearly mark.

Not looking forward to the 30,000 word thesis though!

@ dgt it's the travel that gets me, and not being able to do any sort of regular hobby stuff due to the fact I'm away so much.
    I regularly travel on a Sat/Sun to be somewhere for Monday, so it takes away a lot of my free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Looks like im back driving the Octavia for afew weeks while i rest ST and fix Octavia's problems for sale, oh boy

Still driving an Octavia for a few weeks will make you appreciate the ST so much when you step into it again!

Im in for 36 hours and after assignments etc I just don't have the energy for work :o
    At least I can mooch off the parents for the most part and get money for hobbies (cars :p) from working over the summer!

easily over 40 most weeks.
    i have 30 hours of structured "in college" time. but i do AT which is nearly all continual assessment so i do probably at least 2-3 hours work most evenings. then work 8-10 hour shifts of a saturday and sunday.

• Advertisement

I'm used to it RJ, last year for certification purposes I did a pile of exams, and literally spent the entire year studying to keep up to date with changes.

Outside of the Masters I'm doing I've three qualifications to aim for in the next year, it's typical IT you have to keep up.:rolleyes:

Pretty good pred :) It's a masters, very closely related to what I do and my professional qualifications, so it's not too bad. The whole discipline of getting assignments in is ok as well, I'm used to that having clients in consulting.

Spend time when I'm away doing work on it as well, not much else to do in the evenings. Also what I like is that it's modular/semester based, so each chunk of work goes towards your yearly mark.

Not looking forward to the 30,000 word thesis though!

I have lots of time for the work, but what I want to do isnt related to what I do now, it would be for me.
    Does work help you pay? Sorry for being nosey its just that from what I can see
    Distance learning aint cheap.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4220681

yes. i. would.

A chap I went to school with had one when we were in 6th year, circa when I would have been 16ish, he would have been 18. Never, ever has a car gotten so much attention from florescent adolescents with big mouths and no trousers...

And never, ever should have a car like that ever have been given to that chap in he first place! Wrecked in no time :(

Would you believe it, I was actually going to import one of those years ago when I had the money :eek:

Not much, I do 8 on a Monday. That's just this semester though. No summer hol, work experience since July. 40 hours a week, woot!!! And I don't get a bean for any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The sister managed it with her doctorate, worked out well for her in the end alright ,but she was pretty much exhausted every week.

Feckin students.. :pac:

The sister managed it with her doctorate, worked out well for her in the end alright ,but she was pretty much exhausted every week.

Feckin students.. :pac:

I have a student card, not a Usit card, but a regular one, and there are places that give discounts on it :D
    pred racer wrote: »
    I have lots of time for the work, but what I want to do isnt related to what I do now, it would be for me.
    Does work help you pay? Sorry for being nosey its just that from what I can see
    Distance learning aint cheap.

No my work doesn't help me pay, I pay myself, my masters is completely done online, no evening/weekend classes.

If you've been looking at the OU, they are ferociously expensive, there are alternatives out there. Mine also does a monthly payment scheme where they take a direct debit out for the seven academic months which makes it manageable.

Send me a pm if you want more info or to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

5878171_700b.jpg

did dgt just admit to having a fancy for a japanese car?

you must have had some money, even this weather i dont think you could buy a good one, tax and insure it with much change from 10-12k.

Anyone else have a pain in their ass having to scroll down through the thread reply notification emails to click the link? :mad:

Anyone else have a pain in their ass having to scroll down through the thread reply notification emails to click the link? :mad:

I've that stuff switched off, I just use the my forums link and if I've to go a couple of pages back to find a thread so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't bother with the emails, if you have the old style skin, just log into boards and click User CP. If new skin, you'll see thye notifications beside your username on the static bar on top ;)

• Advertisement

I've that stuff switched off, I just use the my forums link and if I've to go a couple of pages back to find a thread so be it.

I've a couple of 'go to' threads that I always check on when I'm using my phone but I miss loads of stuff, even threads I've forgotten posting on without the email notifications.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement