Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Lads the GP is getting its front end finally worked on this weekend (top mounts and stabilizer links) so I thought I'd ask about my breaks too since my mechanic will have the wheels off.

When I brake lately I get a squeaking / squealing noise when the peddle is pressed up to c. 30% but as I brake harder the noise suppresses. Is this a simple tell to change the pads or would discs be also recommended? I haven't felt any difference is performance either, stopping power is very good as usual.

I doubt that squeak is the wear indicator, more likely the back of the pads are lacking some coppor grease. They may or may not be worn, impossible to tell without looking at them or the discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

RoverJames wrote: »
    I doubt that squeak is the wear indicator, more likely the back of the pads are lacking some coppor grease. They may or may not be worn, impossible to tell without looking at them or the discs.
    Yeah from my own (slightly embarrassing) experience, mechanical wear indicators squeal when you are not braking and it goes away when you brake.
    Whereas crappy pads or pads lacking in anti-seize will squeal a bit as you brake, but it can be kinda intermittent depending on weather and how much braking you've been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The world's gone crazy. :o

Tried to find a 2nd hand remote door lock control to my 13yr old 'rolla.

Ebay wants ~50, a new one in Japan is approx. 85 + delivery, dealer - more than 150. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This happened today, I am the black lump and the yellow bits are my indicators, the red lump is a guy that seemed to think he was in a video game.
    I was letting about 5 cars go past as they had the right of way and just as the last one goes I go to move off, assuming the mong beside me is turning to the left, seeing as that's where he's positioned (no indicators), he decides to pull around me, inches from causing a crash and proceeded to floor it down the road and absolutely threw the car around the last corner.
    I wish I had a dash cam to show it better and get his reg, I was in shock at how stupid it was that I didn't get it in time.
    Mental.

mra1h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Wow. Mental behaviour

That's Tallaght for ya, mad lads in 206's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Got my Transit pump, let the madness commence!!! :D

5th Corail wheel too and a Greddy oil temp something..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Put in a new head unit in the bros Astra g a while back, says to me the other day it's not holding the memory of the radio stations etc so i swapped the red yellow wires around as per usual, all working fine for about 30seconds, it was saving the station I selected no problem, then poof, both the hu display and the cars display went.mscratched my head, thought it was maybe a loose connector as it was popping on and off when I pressed down on one of the connectors. Tightened the connectors with the pliers, nothing. So I said I'd cut the connectors off and rewire it so I'd know the connections were good. Rewired yellow to yellow , red to red, all was working fine. So I swapped them back, nothing again. Now I have it back yellow to yellow etc but still no display. The hu makes a noise when you turn on ignition, same noise it makes when loading a cd but no display on that or the cars display?
    Any ideas guys? Never had this problem on other 2astras I've done this on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Is the car sluggish after about 4k RPM?

not at all.thats when it starts moving :)

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Need to make them public dude.

Not sure they'll work on mobile, the work fine on the desktop anyhow.

.... No doubt on your desktop :pac:

.... No doubt on your desktop :pac:

what? I can see them perfectly, not sure what I'v done wrong tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

166man wrote: »

They're in your dropbox, which I will presume you're logged into...open incognito mode in your browser and I'll bet they don't work...

imgur is so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

I can't see them anyway...

I do wanna tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If their your photos and you're logged in then you'll be able to see them. If they're private though we won't. I can't anyway and I even went to all the trouble of checking on the pc :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    If their your photos and you're logged in then you'll be able to see them. If they're private though we won't. I can't anyway and I even went to all the trouble of checking on the pc :)

Yeah feck, sorry folks I thought dropbox was the best way to go? Imgur you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Yeah feck, sorry folks I thought dropbox was the best way to go? Imgur you say?

Imgur/Photobucket/Image Shack are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My netbook can't handle that photo lol

Upload it to here using the web link already here.

Rightio, Think I got the hang of this now so enjoy folks

KlVtYsnl.jpg

IqV2n9Sl.jpg

lWycAAwl.jpg

:cool:

• Advertisement

Wooooow. I'm not a huge fan of modern Alfas but thats fecking nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Noice.

What's under the bonnet?

It's a diesel, right? 2.4 IIRC?
    Lovely car alright.

I was toying with the idea of a 1990-1994 Spider instead of the MX5 during the weekend, from what I've read and seen though, they're much rarer, much more expensive and not as nice to drive. As beautiful as they are, I think I'm sticking.

Applied for two jobs this week already, lets hope I get an interview at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

CianRyan wrote: »

With the way things are you need to be applying for 200 jobs a week dude, what kind of work are you looking for?

Gary ITR wrote: »

With the way things are you need to be applying for 200 jobs a week dude, what kind of work are you looking for?

Anything, I've done the 20 CVs and emails a day thing for ages and got nothing.
    Sticking to places that are actually hiring and looking for people with my skills yields more results.
    Cheaper too, I'm not buying loads of paper and ink anymore.

Keep looking, keep applying and something will come along, no doubt. Once you get a start and some experience it'll be easier getting the next job :)

Noice.

What's under the bonnet?

2.2 JTS, petrol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's a diesel, right? 2.4 IIRC?
    Lovely car alright.

I was toying with the idea of a 1990-1994 Spider instead of the MX5 during the weekend, from what I've read and seen though, they're much rarer, much more expensive and not as nice to drive. As beautiful as they are, I think I'm sticking.

Get a gtv Cian :D

Good luck with the job hunting :) I've had four interviews for the one chuffing job and possibly another to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Great stuff, thanks! Is it possible they are more worn due to the possible lack of lubrication?

I rang the mechanic today and he's only asking me of €80 do the mounts, links and brake pads (local chap who was made redundant after 20+ years) so chuffed with that price. Going play it safe and change the pads since they're only €25 (be silly not to).

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks! Is it possible they are more worn due to the possible lack of lubrication?..................

Nah, they wouldn't suffer increased wear, they just move about a tiny bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement