Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not in Northern Ireland anyway.
    Great for GETTING BURNT OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You'd think they would even Google a potential name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Drove a Fiat 500. Never realised just how much fun they are
    On the topic of driving other cars...

Drove a nissan Tiida the other day. I've never felt so disconnected from driving, or so happy to get back into my e46.

On the topic of driving other cars...

Drove a nissan Tiida the other day. I've never felt so disconnected from driving, or so happy to get back into my e46.
    I've only ever been a passenger in one and even that was a horrible experience.

I love driving the e46 but I had a deranged grin on my face after getting out of the little 500. Didn't drive it hard or anything, it was just fun

BEla4gWCMAEvQzW.jpg
    x25pgp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CianRyan wrote: »
    Went on a good long drive over Sally Gap today, such a nice day for it.
    It made me fall back in love with both driving and Wicklow, I love those mountains.

I done it on sunday afternoon. It was a great day for it, a rare sunny day with a hint of warm't. I went straight up from stocktons lane, but like the approach from blessington too. Tis a great road for sure :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Drove a Fiat 500. Never realised just how much fun they are

Just bought a 1 litre polo. It's a grand little go-kart. No power steering, electiric windows or FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hal1 wrote: »
    I done it on sunday afternoon. It was a great day for it, a rare sunny day with a hint of warm't. I went straight up from stocktons lane, but like the approach from blessington too. Tis a great road for sure :).

I approached from the Blessington side for the first time today, the road's great for mountainous views but it could do with a bit more visibility. Then back towards Dublin once I reached the gap, the section from there to Lough Bray is a brilliant piece of road!

Nice weather today too. Dry, hazy sunshine with some fog lingering on the higher hills and just off the road. Some spots the sun was beaming from one side and cutting through the mist, it looked amazing.
    Just wished I brought the camera. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Some anus stole Coronation st! Even though I cringe at the thought of the soap itself, not nice to see the sign stolen :(

The BX and Cortina are still there, now joined by a 106.... I think :confused:

I hadn't seen any in months then in one day I must have seen the entire fleet of mk1 Bravos left on the roads in Ireland (5 :pac:)

Pipe and seals ordered (hat's off to Row for his help with the part number :)), hopefully back to turbo dieselness on Friday :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any suggestions on what I should buy if I have to upgrade?

Budget 10k, year no less than 2007, min. four doors?

I reckon I'll be in a seriously boring car :(

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Join club pred and get a 159? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

BMW 320i :D

Petrol or diesel??

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/2.0-T-SE/14913402068854630/advert?channel=CARS

€8k for a 2008 :)

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Not too bad inside :)

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

One of these should turn up in budget..... diesel...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4579097

View2-17573292.jpeg

A 2008 S80 on LPG, wouldn't quite have the balls or know how to chance it myself tbh but it's probably fine...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4095645

View2-17431257.jpeg

asking €9250

Plenty of not too boring stuff out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bit vague...

2007 Octavia VRS
    2009 VW Jetta
    2010 fiat punto + 3k in change
    2010 seat leon

?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Alfa 159............

...........Obviously....then herself and Pred can be car friends...:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Join club pred and get a 159? :)
    In the frame already :) Wouldn't ya know? I do like them but I'd be after a petrol initially I think

For the rest of ye, it has to be petrol, I'd hit 15k miles max most years, 10k of which is urban, no less than 1.8 litre, comfort, and leather seats a must.

I'd miss the ability of the gtv to leave everyone else standing at the lights, so a bit of poke would be good.

Being an alfa fan I'd go for a 159 but would need to hit the UK for what I want.

ya know I car i liked? The BMW one series, sister had one and it was nice, very hard suspension though.

In the frame already :) Wouldn't ya know? I do like them but I'd be after a petrol initially I think

For the rest of ye, it has to be petrol, I'd hit 15k miles max most years, 10k of which is urban, no less than 1.8 litre, comfort, and leather seats a must.

I'd miss the ability of the gtv to leave everyone else standing at the lights, so a bit of poke would be good.

Being an alfa fan I'd go for a 159 but would need to hit the UK for what I want.

ya know I car i liked? The BMW one series, sister had one and it was nice, very hard suspension though.

Unfortunately the only petrol engine in the 159 with enough poke is the 1750TBi which is few and far between here and I doubt you'd get one in the UK for your budget.

Please don't buy a 1 series...:)

Bit vague...

2007 Octavia VRS
    2009 VW Jetta
    2010 fiat punto + 3k in change
    2010 seat leon

?

No VWs at all in the shortlist, sick of them after two from new.

You might be on the money with the punto and especially the leon, imo seriously underrated car, if you get the right spec, I know one bloke who got it over a brera, we'd a great chat.
    166man wrote: »
    Alfa 159............

...........Obviously....then herself and Pred can be car friends...:D
    Pred and I are already friends, do you read this thread at all?

• Advertisement

I'd miss the ability of the gtv to leave everyone else standing at the lights, so a bit of poke would be good............

Manual S60 2.0T wouldn't be left standing by it, nor loads of other stuff, to be fair :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Manual S60 2.0T wouldn't be left standing by it, nor loads of other stuff, to be fair :)

Have to admit I like the S60, been in loads and loved the experience, along with the drive.

It may be heresy on here but for a reliable, work funded, out of the ordinary car, it has a lot going for hit.

On a car allowance, it's the 159 versus the S60, I love BMW for how they look but given my background there are just too many (no offence MM, I still think your car is edible)

My XUD will do the exact same job better with lots of smoke. What do people think when they hear the turbo spooling up.... :cool:yes, blatent idi fanboi post!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How awesome...
    zPan3gJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Lads after getting my top mounts / anti-roll links changed and driving it for a bit, I noticed I still get a knocking noise. Initially I thought it was just a simple fix with a loose plastic arch or something in the engine bay but I narrowed it down today and noticed it only happens in 2nd gear at about 1500-1700 RPM. It doesn't happen in any other gear which cancels out a loose body part or arch so now I'm thinking it's the gearbox. I got the fluid topped up / replaced about 4 months ago because my seals were perished and the fluid slowly leaked out before I bought it (was sitting up for about 3 months prior to purchase). Any ideas what it could be? Broken gear tooth maybe?

NOTE: It's a 2006 Grande Punto 1.2 5-Speed. Done 9000 miles since purchase at 43K miles, no issues prior to this noise and still drives perfectly at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

OSI wrote: »
    Engine mount? Had a knock coming from the engine bay of my last car which would only happen at low speed in low gears, though it was the gearbox going or a loose exhaust, turned out to be a knackered rear engine mount.
    Hmmm that does make sense, I know it's happening at a certain RPM and gear but that could just be the point of most vibration too. Will ask the mechanic to look, thanks.

Any other possibilities too?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well lads. I got quite confused today. I drove pass hyundai dealership today and I really like those new 3 door yokes with some stupid name.
    I checked the website and wanted to know how much are these little yokes. To my shock it was 24k EU + all the charges. WTF!?
    I though Hyundai was ment to be cheaper motoring! I30 starts from 19.5k + charges.
    I checked mini coopers and those start from 17k. Mazda 3 from 20.5k. Skoda rapid from 17k.
    Did I miss something! I have to say I do like how Hyundai got up lately with nice range of models, but I can't call them cheap anymore. If I would be looking for family hatch I would throw that 1k extra and get much better Mazda 3 over i30.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hyundai and Kia cars were cheap when they were crap. Now that they're competing with a bigger market, the cars have more in them as standard so therefore they have to cost more.

That Mazda3 you'd get over an i30 wouldn't be as well spec'd as an i30.

EDIT: It's the Veloster you're talking about.

• Advertisement

Well lads. I got quite confused today. I drove pass hyundai dealership today and I really like those new 3 door yokes with some stupid name.
    I checked the website and wanted to know how much are these little yokes. To my shock it was 24k EU + all the charges. WTF!?
    I though Hyundai was ment to be cheaper motoring! I30 starts from 19.5k + charges.
    I checked mini coopers and those start from 17k. Mazda 3 from 20.5k. Skoda rapid from 17k.
    Did I miss something! I have to say I do like how Hyundai got up lately with nice range of models, but I can't call them cheap anymore. If I would be looking for family hatch I would throw that 1k extra and get much better Mazda 3 over i30.

It's simple. They are not as cheap any more because they are as good if not better than most of the competition. To get something better you have to pay more.

Can't say I like those three doors though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement