Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    ......... I just dont have the energy to start working then :(

that's a gruesome looking timetable :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah yeah yeah, if the opportunity did arise I'd be cautious lets say. :D

Yeah, bloody car! *shifty eyes*
    Got quoted €200 before having a proper look at the airbag for parts and labour. Not too shabby!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be hesitant to take any spins in the 335i now that I think about it. Haha

Hah! I'm safe, I'll get to skip the queue as you all remind yourself what his username means, and I repeatedly tell you :D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    that's a gruesome looking timetable :eek:

Now in fairness apart from Monday and Tuesday it's ok?

Stheno wrote: »

True enough.

Could easily squeeze in a few shifts in the local Maxol at the weekend if need be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

In fairness yeah the rest of the week is OK but after monday and Tuesday it's nearly impossible to get up for Wednesday :p

So my advice is don't study engineering!

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    True enough.

Could easily squeeze in a few shifts in the local Maxol at the weekend if need be :D

How do you know I live just down the road form a Maxol????

STALKER RUN

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In fairness yeah the rest of the week is OK but after monday and Tuesday it's nearly impossible to get up for Wednesday :p

Here's my two typical weeks.

At home:

Sunday: 6-10 pm: prepare for client meetings Monday
    Mon - Wed/Thurs: onsite with client 9-5, home @ 6:45, dinner, prep for next day, study, browse web, bed. ( Also calls out of 9-5 from colleagues/junior staff)
    Fri: admin day in office, do reporting, scheduling liaise with junior staff/ work with sales, do pipeline projections, liaise with potential clients
    Sat/Sun: Study, time with Oh, Oh's children back to Sunday 6pm

If travelling
    As above, but leave as early as Saturday lunchtime to get to client site for Monday. Depending on location, stay there for weeks on end due to flight restrictions.

Downside, very little time with Oh, no real support as onsite on ones own, no contact with Oh's children, no time for hobbies/sports as travel locations vary.

God, I was quite happy to do this whole unemployed thing for a while but you know it's getting bad when you're looking at harsh time tables and envying the structure.

My week is as so:
    Monday: Get up ~12, eat, look for jobs online, eat, collect my girlfriend to hang out, sleep at about 2-3.
    Tuesday: more or less the same but I collect my welfare.
    Wed-Fri: same as above but I tend to head outside to look for work.
    Sat-Sun: the only real time I get with my girlfriend as she works full time and goes to bed at ~10 during the week.

I'M SICK OF IT, SOMEONE BLOODY HIGHER ME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Someone might HIRE you too ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

My week either consists of work from 5.30am til 4pm Wed to Sat, or 7pm til 5.30am Wed to Sat. Usually get by on 5/6 hours sleep.

• Advertisement

God, I was quite happy to do this whole unemployed thing for a while but you know it's getting bad when you're looking at harsh time tables and envying the structure.

My week is as so:
    Monday: Get up ~12, eat, look for jobs online, eat, collect my girlfriend to hang out, sleep at about 2-3.
    Tuesday: more or less the same but I collect my welfare.
    Wed-Fri: same as above but I tend to head outside to look for work.
    Sat-Sun: the only real time I get with my girlfriend as she works full time and goes to bed at ~10 during the week.

You envy me that sort of structure?

Live it for six months and envy it then, most unmotor like, but I'd like to join a choir locally and get to know people, I'd like to join a gym so I'm fitter, and I'd like to get involved in my local old folks club as I think it's good to give back to older generations and I can fob off the many books I read on them (forgot to mention I read about six books a week outside of work, I've about 400 looking for a home AGAIN, apart from the ones for Ardennes :) ) I can't do any of that.

Aren't you living in Dublin Cian? What is your industry/qualifications?

And being very pedantic, it's hire, check your c.v. not on the computer, but print it out and get others to read it and point out mistakes, typing on a p.c. is a bugger doesn't pick up half the mistakes (as pred has pointed out to me before :) )

Someone might HIRE you too ;) :pac:
    Enough from you, cannibal!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4180738

i was looking at buying that very corolla at the end of last summer. at the time the advert didn't state mileage. rang the owner, he said it had roughly 120k on it iirc. motorchecked the reg, motorcheck said it was recorded as having (again iirc) 230k miles the previous year, something over 200k on it anyway.

114k on it now, new-ish NCT and all :pac:

There's a decent chance that bookmakers will be opening year round until 9.30pm from Jan 2013 onwards, so most of them may well be hiring.

It's advantageous to be a car owner as some companies like hiring staff that can work in different shops as required

Lash your CV into the HQs and individual shops if you reckon you'd consider it, worth a try.

My week either consists of work from 5.30am til 4pm Wed to Sat, or 7pm til 5.30am Wed to Sat. Usually get by on 5/6 hours sleep.
    Yup I'd be the same, six hours sleep during the week max.

God love the person who tries to wake me before twelve on a Sat. though :)
    Enough from you, cannibal!
    :p
    Ah now, at least it's in a foreign language and google knows it for what it is
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4180738

i was looking at buying that very corolla at the end of last summer. at the time the advert didn't state mileage. rang the owner, he said it had roughly 120k on it iirc. motorchecked the reg, motorcheck said it was recorded as having (again iirc) 230k miles the previous year, something over 200k on it anyway.

114k on it now, new-ish NCT and all :pac:

Jaysus

You envy me that sort of structure?

Live it for six months and envy it then, most unmotor like, but I'd like to join a choir locally and get to know people, I'd like to join a gym so I'm fitter, and I'd like to get involved in my local old folks club as I think it's good to give back to older generations and I can fob off the many books I read on them (forgot to mention I read about six books a week outside of work, I've about 400 looking for a home AGAIN, apart from the ones for Ardennes :) ) I can't do any of that.

Aren't you living in Dublin Cian? What is your industry/qualifications?

And being very pedantic, it's hire, check your c.v. not on the computer, but print it out and get others to read it and point out mistakes, typing on a p.c. is a bugger doesn't pick up half the mistakes (as pred has pointed out to me before :) )

I've had tough hours before when I was a commercial postman. (Not that cushy residential stuff).
    5am starts, half hour lunch, 6pm finish and on a push bike all day. :(
    I had to cover most of D24/22/16's business parks by myself.

For keeping fit you could try jogging or Yoga. 15 minutes from your day is all you need to start and 30 minutes after a few months will do you great. I payed €350 for a gym and hardly ever used it. I much predate being outside. :)

No qualifications per-say, I was in college studying Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Leadership. Probably the best, most exciting year of my life but due to a fear I never knew I had before hand, I didn't graduate. :(
    I'd love to still be in that industry but there're only two courses doing it and they both focus heavily on "the fear".
    I am in Dublin though, yeah. I've covered the south side with printed C.V. and talked to managers in every place I've been in but haven't had an interview since the end of summer.
    My sister helps me with my C.V.
    It's part of her job so it helps a lot. :)

Ps. I'm dyslexic so expect more spelling errors like above. :p

Edit@James: That's deadly advice. Nice one. :)
    I'll be lashing those out on Monday morning.

For keeping fit you could try jogging or Yoga. 15 minutes from your day is all you need to start and 30 minutes after a few months will do you great. I payed €350 for a gym and hardly ever used it. I much predate being outside. :)

No qualifications per-say, I was in college studying Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Leadership. Probably the best, most exciting year of my life but due to a fear I never knew I had before hand, I didn't graduate. :(
    I'd love to still be in that industry but there're only two courses doing it and they both focus heavily on "the fear".
    I am in Dublin though, yeah. I've covered the south side with printed C.V. and talked to managers in every place I've been in but haven't had an interview since the end of summer.
    My sister helps me with my C.V.
    It's part of her job so it helps a lot. :)

Ps. I'm dyslexic so expect more spelling errors like above. :p

Edit@James: That's deadly advice. Nice one. :)
    I'll be lashing those out on Monday morning.

I can't jog due to a hip injury, and I'm double jointed so yoga is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I did a class once, and the instructor accused me of being an assessor as she didn't believe I'd never done it.

My preferred exercise is:

Free weights (can do at home for strength)
    Rowing machine (can do at home for cardio)
    Swimming (need a pool, for stamina)

Fine if I don't travel and very cheap, most places I go to there is no gym in the hotel and no pool.

What would you like to work at Cian? If you'd prefer to pm then do?

I can't jog due to a hip injury, and I'm double jointed so yoga is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I did a class once, and the instructor accused me of being an assessor as she didn't believe I'd never done it.

My preferred exercise is:

Free weights (can do at home for strength)
    Rowing machine (can do at home for cardio)
    Swimming (need a pool, for stamina)

Fine if I don't travel and very cheap, most places I go to there is no gym in the hotel and no pool.

What would you like to work at Cian? If you'd prefer to pm then do?

Ah that's tough alright, my mam is the same way in regards to swimming. Bad back, which she hates because she loved to run.

A lot if gym's will let you join as a pool member only, I guess you'd still have the time issue though.

That's probably my biggest problem at the minute, I've no real idea as to what I'd like to make a career of. I'd love it to be sound engendering based but there's little work in it if I plan on paying for a house and kids with it. I'd like to try mechanics but we all know how tough that is to get into and I'd be into baking but again, it's not always the easiest to start off in. "You want a job? Go get experience first, not my problem where you find it."
    I'm sick of that, I can't even find someone to gives me a few hours for work experience.

For now, as a means to save for my eventual return to college, I'd take anything. A 9-5, boring office job would be great. I've had a lot of shift work which is annoying. Rosters changing almost constantly and dodgy managers means it's difficult to plan anything around work.

As I've said, I want structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

just dropped the crv into car craft to buff and clean the headlights.

in the croke park hotel having breakfast.

there's a great sense of snobbery in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I just put a deposit down on this. I didn't get much off the asking but the car is pretty mint and very well looked after. All fluids/filters, timing belt, clutch, thermostat, water pump replaced recently. Drives perfect. Incredibly comfortable seats. Not a mark on the body that I could see. They agreed to replace one tyre which had a little dime out the sidewall and are putting it through the NCT before sale. He also gave me a spare center console so I am going to attempt this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well wear Redsie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Not to bad, like the interior, little too much chrome for my liking, but enjoy and well wear.

Congrats redisle! Best of luck with her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

nice Alfa.

just don't like these stickers that go across the windscreen..... that's just me though.... I like the full view..... even hate having the sun visors down.

anyway. before and after pics on the crv headlights.

€30 well spent in car craft

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well wear Redsie :)
    coolisin wrote: »
    Not to bad, like the interior, little too much chrome for my liking, but enjoy and well wear.
    Congrats redisle! Best of luck with her :D

Cheers! Looking forward to it.
    nice Alfa.

just don't like these stickers that go across the windscreen..... that's just me though.... I like the full view..... even hate having the sun visors down.

Yeah that's coming off. I wouldn't mind if it was just plain black but not a fan of the logo.

Also please get rid of those chavtastic floor mats ;)

Was thinking I might try spraying them black but replacement is also an option yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Man up ya pansy! :P

If that's your final year timetable you've got it handy. When I was in my final year I was doing 9am-10:30pm Mon-Fri and then 10-6 Sat and Sun. Had lectures each day from 9/10am till about 4/5, then spent another 5 hours in the labs on projects/thesis. Not fun. :-/

dar83 wrote: »
    Man up ya pansy! :P

If that's your final year timetable you've got it handy. When I was in my final year I was doing 9am-10:30pm Mon-Fri and then 10-6 Sat and Sun. Had lectures each day from 9/10am till about 4/5, then spent another 5 hours in the labs on projects/thesis. Not fun. :-/

No this is third year!

I feel much better about it after a solid 10 hours sleep! now breakfast :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ah yeah, well look forward to final year so. Haha. ;) :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement