Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Land River? Sounds like a Chinese tyre haha, the landsail hifly wingwang Land River.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Thanks again to apple for having a **** auto correct system.

Fair enough if I typed ruver but rover I'd a bloody word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

CianRyan wrote: »

Chrome + swiftkey on sony phones is far worse, it makes sober posts drunken gibberish, but fixes drunken posts to make them seem sober. Very dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

lol :pac:

tech-impaired-duck-cant-fix-autocorrect-duck-my-life-meme.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Hi all, I'm going to be going to France in a few months and taking my 07 Passat. Does anyone know what I need for deflecting the headlight beam? Will these be ok on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm going to be going to France in a few months and taking my 07 Passat. Does anyone know what I need for deflecting the headlight beam? Will these be ok on it?

I tend to pick them up in Halfords or similar motor factors. They do a set with a guide for most commonly sold cars. Bizarrely, I only have to use a small part each time. Pain in the arse getting the glue off later. If only I had slim hands, I'd be able to reach in and pull the leer to swap the lamps across. Not sure why build functionality which is so hard to use.

Lads, what's the best value water repelling stuff for windows? I've decided to just get rid of my rear wiper and it seems like a good idea to use this stuff on it (and the rest of the glass of course).

Do I need anything special to apply them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Gary ITR wrote: »

What app did you use to put all the images together if you don't mind me asking?

Cool vid :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What app did you use to put all the images together if you don't mind me asking?

Cool vid :cool:
    Knifey_spoonie did it on his gopro. It has a timelapse feature. Its pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lads, what's the best value water repelling stuff for windows? I've decided to just get rid of my rear wiper and it seems like a good idea to use this stuff on it (and the rest of the glass of course).

Unless you're gonna fill in the hole its gonna just look like your wiper broke.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Unless you're gonna fill in the hole its gonna just look like your wiper broke.

Well that's a given. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Why would you get rid of the rear wiper :confused:. It's one of the best features that hatch backs have and is a thing that really annoys me about saloons at slow speeds in the wet (rear window doesn't get wet at high speed) I use the rear wiper nearly every drive in my car, not a hope I would take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Why would you get rid of the rear wiper :confused:. It's one of the best features that hatch backs have and is a thing that really annoys me about saloons at slow speeds in the wet (rear window doesn't get wet at high speed) I use the rear wiper nearly every drive in my car, not a hope I would take it off.

And the thing about hatchbacks is that the rear windows is guaranteed to get caked in muck and mud after 20 minutes driving on wet roads. No matter how good the repellent, it just wont really work for that imo.

Some arse bandit bent it off the other week, I posted about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

And the thing about hatchbacks is that the rear windows is guaranteed to get caked in muck and mud after 20 minutes driving on wet roads. No matter how good the repellent, it just wont really work for that imo.

Agreed, Repellent is sometimes all you need on the front, Sometimes at high speeds and very wet I leave my front wipers off because it clears just as well anyway. But on the back there isn't the air flow to blow the water off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'd get it fixed rather than removing it. The Focus is ridiculous for the dirt the back of it picks up, some slightly poor design at the rear but it throws so much dirt over its own arse I'd have lost rear window visibility after one drive without the rear wiper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The G-Technik stuff clean car are selling is meant ot be very good,i used some stuff from Halfords years ago and wasn't impressed with it - can't remember the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well, it actually depends on angle your rear window glass has. Sometimes rear wiper is not really necessary. ;)

I have saloon type car's body without rear wiper (as there no rear wipers at all), friend of mine has hatchback with very similar rear window angle. He removed rear wiper and he's happy. :)

Back to your question - Rain-x (cheaper) or (dearer, but lasts longer) Gtechniq G1 Clearvision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This.

The best repellent as far as I know is Gtechniq G1 Smartglass. I did all my windows with it, once a week ago and again yesterday. It says that the windscreen should be done 3 times and all other glass done once but me being me, I went further.

It will have absolutely no effect when it comes to mud caking on the back windscreen as always happens with hatchbacks or any car that has a rear wiper. It's there for a reason on cars that have it and not there on cars that don't need it.

Trust me, getting rid of it will be something you'll regret.

Had a look around, the g1 stuff on clean car seems the job. :D
    Cheers lads.
    My window doesn't get too dirty and I'll be doing the lot of them, not jut the rear.
    I've been living without it for the last while, barely used it to begin with.

Finding a new wiper doesn't seem easy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Had a look around, the g1 stuff on clean car seems the job. :D
    Cheers lads.
    My window doesn't get too dirty and I'll be doing the lot of them, not jut the rear.

http://www.findapart.ie/Car_Parts_NISSAN_ALMERA_2002_2002_32.html ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Anyone know when the 3rd generation Fabia is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Late next year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thats cos of the (clean) roads you drive on then, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Late next year I think.

I know I'll sound like a spakker but I can never find a good online list of upcoming release dates for cars.

What about the Fiat 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I know I'll sound like a spakker but I can never find a good online list of upcoming release dates for cars.

What about the Fiat 500?

Just did a screen shot on a downloaded copy of What Car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'll let you decide if that's a good idea or not ;)
    310478_293219310697524_50032096_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wrong angle + spoiler - would never think about getting rid of wiper. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement