Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think I gave an old fella heart attack today! :)

After work I had to go in to town and jump in to GameStop quick. Being after work I was not in the most cleanest pants and just plain hoody.
    So like always I park my car in small car park, pay the few and off with my business. When I came back I still had an hour +++ on parking ticket. I sow some old fella just about to pay at the machine. I shouted: "excuse me! Excuse me!" And walked near him. Now I am a big fecker and my accent did not helped there. So he froze up and watch me come closer.
    I came closer and showed ticked and said: "here you go, there is an hour on it". His scared face turned in to smile. He thanked me and was prety happy. :)

I need to work on my "communication skills" I guess :D

Your Lithucorkian accent is gas to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

barney 20v wrote: »
    the satisfaction off witnessing bmw and mercs etc etc getting stuck while i breezed past will stay with me until the day i die .awd ftw!

Still more fun in RWD though.. :P
    I had the choice of the Scoobie or the 740i the last two mornings.. so far so fun in the BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When you factor in the cost of getting them fitted, you're just as well off to buy them here.

On another note, all 4 of mine are in so I'm getting them fitted this evening :D I'm forking out €810 for them including fitting, tracking and balancing which is good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Only 8e per tyre in my local place so 118€ fitted is class!
    Ok that didn't include delivery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

When you factor in the cost of getting them fitted, you're just as well off to buy them here.

Not necessarily true and certainly wasn't the case when I got mine delivered and fitted. It does change with the price of them, but it saved me about €60 to Camskill and then get them fitted here, not a lot, but still worth it imo. ;)

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Not necessarily true and certainly wasn't the case when I got mine delivered and fitted. It does change with the price of them, but it saved me about €60 to Camskill and then get them fitted here, not a lot, but still worth it imo. ;)

Not for me, it was only something like €30 in the difference which in my opinon, didnt make it worth the hassle.

but I don't give a flying fook about that, I'm looking forward to driving on clouds instead of the surface of the moon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

It's not really much hassle though in fairness. Click buy, get them delivered, throw them in the car and drive to tyre place. :)

For €30 yeah, might be borderline there. But given that two places I asked about getting them told me they couldn't even get Eagle F1's, the other places wanted to charge between €155 and €165 fitted.

Considering that the only places here that would fit tyres that you supply yourself were both not hat reputable and charging €25 per wheel to fit and balance it wasn't an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

When getting winters I found it much cheaper to buy online and get them fitted myself, tyre place in Cabra fit and balanced the lot for €50, which is not to bad. Discount tyres in Ballycoolin quoted €80.

These are the tyres I bought, very hard to find them here and when I did, crazy expensive. HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness we all know, that they screw up the price only, because you did not bough tyres from them. Payed 75eu back in the day to change 4 tyres on mx5. Thanks to my buddy, local tyre fitter ( nice fella ) fitted all tyres on new alloys for 20eu, i gave him 30eu and he was very happy.
    He did asked how much i paid for tyres and he was quite shocked and could not match the price even with free fitting. Those were Toyo T1Rs and rarely you can get those in tyre fitters stock, only in special orders, which you will have to wait on and then pay extra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Temporary welded, it'll do. Must get new pipe on Saturday.....

And the wastegate still sounds gack! New turbo time methinks :pac:

Aaaahhh I love the smell of new tyres in the evening :D:D

Such a huge difference already, no thumping and bumping when I drive over a pebble :pac:

Aaaahhh I love the smell of new tyres in the evening :D:D

Such a huge difference already, no thumping and bumping when I drive over a pebble :pac:

I heard the smell even better after few burnouts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

In fairness we all know, that they screw up the price only, because you did not bough tyres from them. Payed 75eu back in the day to change 4 tyres on mx5. Thanks to my buddy, local tyre fitter ( nice fella ) fitted all tyres on new alloys for 20eu, i gave him 30eu and he was very happy.
    He did asked how much i paid for tyres and he was quite shocked and could not match the price even with free fitting. Those were Toyo T1Rs and rarely you can get those in tyre fitters stock, only in special orders, which you will have to wait on and then pay extra.

What were the Toyos like?

What were the Toyos like?

Great. I felt in Love with it. Getting them second time now. Great Value. Great performance, but some people said it wears a bit faster. I don't notice as I did not did huge mileage and misses drives even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I got a lift in a BMW E90 3 series earlier today... jesus, I was surprised how small and cramped it felt. I wasn't expecting that at all. Granted I'm a tall guy but I was shocked. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dord wrote: »
    I got a lift in a BMW E90 3 series earlier today... jesus, I was surprised how small and cramped it felt. I wasn't expecting that at all. Granted I'm a tall guy but I was shocked. :eek:

Could hardly feel that cramped compared to your own?
    Granted, I've never been in either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CianRyan wrote: »
    Could hardly feel that cramped compared to your own?
    Granted, I've never been in either.

I was in a 3 series recently and it didn't feel like it had much more room than my car.

Dord's got an A Series, so I'd imagine it'd have a bit more room than that.

I must sit in one now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I must sit in one now.

I've been in both a one and a three and didn't see any great difference in terms of interior space. Both were four doors.

• Advertisement

Mad, BMW skimping on space.
    They'll pass it off as "driver focused." :pac:

I must sit in one now.

Suprisingly I thought my own had a bit more space. I'm not sure about width wise but length-wise up front. I was pretty much sitting on the dash in the BMW.

Mad, BMW skimping on space.

The driver position was fine in both, it was the back I'd the issue with. I've long legs and a short body, so anyone sitting behind me wouldn't be too comfortable in a three/one/my current car.

The 1 to me is the 3 with a smaller boot

I've driven a few of the BMW minis and I found them to be fine.
    Nice cars but with me in the front it's a 3 seater. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Suprisingly I thought my own had a bit more space. I'm not sure about width wise but length-wise up front. I was pretty much sitting on the dash in the BMW.

Did you try move the seat? :P

Oooh, here come the fan bois in defence. :p

Did you try move the seat? :P

You can MOVE the seat? :eek:

I'm just joking. Yeah, I moved the seat but even still the general space wasn't great.

Oooh, here come the fan bois in defence. :p

In fairness I thought the 3 that I test drove was an absolutely beautiful car, as are the two I've been in recently, so ranging from 1998 to 2007.

I was just surprised at the lack of space, were I to buy a BMW, I'd probably want a 5/6 series

Not at all!! It's the same reason they use the run-flats and don't have a spare - it reduces emissions :pac:
    Yeah, I moved the seat but even still the general space wasn't great.

No no no, you're meant to move it BACK if you want more room in the front ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not against BMW's or 3-series at all but I surprised. I wouldn't mind one, but in fairness I would prob go for an E46 as I prefer the look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement