Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

ba_barabus wrote: »
    :):):):)

My mother just surprised me with this.........

Lovely gift :)

I had a t shirt with an SD1 on it (ebay job), was too small for me, sent it over to a lad on a Rover forum that had/has an SD1, fitted him perfectly apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Well folks,

Didnt think this warranted a thread, hope this is ok here,

I've been tasked at going looking at a few 04/05/06 Santa Fe crdi's tomorrow, for a family member

Looked at one today, a 05, drove very very well but the interior was dog rough and 3rd gear was a bit too notchy for my liking (and must be bad seeing as I drive an old toyota :pac:) Also the abs light was showing, (possible module trouble as the pads were plenty beefy?)

Researching on the net doesn't seem to show many major issues with them,

Any of ye any experience with them?

Whats to look out for beyond the usual used car stuff?

Also, do any of them come with a centre diff lock or do they only come in the constant awd with no user input?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

RoverJames wrote: »
    Lovely gift :)

It's a first attempt at painting a car. She is great at landscape and flowers so I was happy she tried this.

It's not perfect by any means but I think it perfectly portrays the shytness of 70's British Leyland

It's a first attempt at painting a car...........

It's lovely, thought it was bought until I saw the reg tbh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

My sister eventually has gotten around to replacing her much loved Ford Ka (she's been in a bangernomics Carisma for a year now, a few weeks was the plan).

Anyway, had a look at a 2007 Mini One in a local Mini dealer, €10,995 iirc was the asking price. 1.4 petrol 6 speed, red with white roof and other Cooper esque touches.

Now I thought this was sheer lunacy, even if they knocked a grand off (which I reckon they would have). But I could see the sister being really tempted by the two year warranty etc etc.

Dunno where the folks got her from back in the day :pac:

A very good friend of mine has a 2007 Cork reg one in red but it's the Cooper with the 1.6 engine. It's actually a lovely lovely motor, I drove it around UCD a fair bit when she got it.

Think it had 63k km on it when she got it, on 68k km on it now and no issues as far as I'm aware. Her parents bought it for her, think they paid €10k even back in October 2012 from Richford Motors in Dublin.

€10995 for the 1.4 sounds quite pricey if I'm honest. :o

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »

€10995 for the 1.4 sounds quite pricey if I'm honest. :o

Indeed, her little brother had a better plan though :cool:

They are a great drive, hadn't driven one in years, forgot how nice they are set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Well folks,

Didnt think this warranted a thread, hope this is ok here,

Any of ye any experience with them?

Whats to look out for beyond the usual used car stuff?

Also, do any of them come with a centre diff lock or do they only come in the constant awd with no user input?

Thanks in advance :)
    There awd no diff lock. So the driver has no input the jeep sends power to each wheel as it sees fit. The 2006 new model 4wd has a diff lock. We had a 2007 delux model Santa Fe auto and it was a fair jeep we had it 3 years bought it new. We had a 2005 one about 2 years ago. It was a grand jeep no comparison between the 2. The new 2007 was in a different league but huge price difference. And most of the new model were 2wd which were crap. Both were completly reliable no hassle with either. In saying all that we only kept the 2005 one for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Indeed, her little brother had a better plan though :cool:

They are a great drive, hadn't driven one in years, forgot how nice they are set up.

Absolutely agree, the way the pedals are set up to the deceptively short throw of the gearstick. Always felt like I was driving a go-kart and something that had much more than the 120BHP that the Cooper has. They need to be specced properly though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Bpmull wrote: »
    There awd no diff lock. So the driver has no input the jeep sends power to each wheel as it sees fit. The 2006 new model 4wd has a diff lock. We had a 2007 delux model Santa Fe auto and it was a fair jeep we had it 3 years bought it new. We had a 2005 one about 2 years ago. It was a grand jeep no comparison between the 2. The new 2007 was in a different league but huge price difference. And most of the new model were 2wd which were crap. Both were completly reliable no hassle with either. In saying all that we only kept the 2005 one for 3 months.

Thanks for the reply,

Thats what I thought, re the 4wd, no problem anyway as its only to be used on road, was more wondering if there was different spec levels for the 4wd.

Nice one, unfortunately the newer model is a stretch too far for the budget,

Seeing as they seem quite reliable, I guess we'll just take a view on it when we see it, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

dgt wrote: »
    Matt Simis did I see your car outside a house before the sweep outside Collon?

There can't be too many black 560SEC's on MH import plates knocking about...!

That caught my eye yesterday evening as well very tasty motor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Anyone know the cheapest place in Ireland to buy Eihbach lowering springs/spacers and various stuff like black locking nuts/standard nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

dgt wrote: »
    Matt Simis did I see your car outside a house before the sweep outside Collon?

There can't be too many black 560SEC's on MH import plates knocking about...!

Possibly the guy I sold it to, not mine for like 3mths now! Rang me yesterday, sounds like the alternator isnt charging the battery. Not a big problem IMO, hope he takes care of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

Thats what I thought, re the 4wd, no problem anyway as its only to be used on road, was more wondering if there was different spec levels for the 4wd.

Nice one, unfortunately the newer model is a stretch too far for the budget,

Seeing as they seem quite reliable, I guess we'll just take a view on it when we see it, thanks again

One problem with the older type one is fuel pumps. It's quite easy to check. Once you turn on the ignition for a few seconds the jeeps should start fairly quickly. If you are turning it over for ages then it could be the fuel pump and walk away. I think that was of the few faults with them. I wouldn't worry to much about it once it starts normally you should be fine. Best of look with your search.

I've just been given a rather odd vintage camera :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Anyone know the cheapest place in Ireland to buy Eihbach lowering springs/spacers and various stuff like black locking nuts/standard nuts

I don't know of anywhere selling them cheap here. But have you checked demontweaks? http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/suspension

For wheel nuts check here: http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-nuts-wheel-bolts.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've just been given a rather odd vintage camera :confused:

Make/model?
    If it's decent you can give it to me. :pac:

CianRyan wrote: »
    Make/model?
    If it's decent you can give it to me. :pac:
    It's a Polaroid Model 120.

Know anything about them?

3FEE950A-B3A6-465A-9887-A748F5EF80CB-11114-00000CE5A78A7EB1.jpg

083B2206-CC5E-4FCB-B29A-E3B3D4FB8045-11114-00000CE5A256F5D8.jpg

0A30FE5F-68D6-48E6-8927-0F685780128E-11114-00000CE59B06E16D.jpg

92CEC51C-F09A-418D-A67C-FE53168182D1-11114-00000CE58F2A4C05.jpg

9CD69E16-98BB-47A7-BD88-80DC5637B9E8-11114-00000CE5895B903A.jpg

28674F04-0D20-41C8-8D5B-C2CEAF6919E9-11114-00000CE5834BE24A.jpg

Looks nice, I don't know too much about Polaroid, I'd know more about SLRs.

The lens looks nice on it though, I can tell you that much, Japanese made so should be sturdy, have you tried it?
    Are the blades smooth?

I wouldn't mind a nice Polaroid, there are a few companies making nice film for them now as Polaroid stopped production of the film a while back.

Lucky prick. :p

CianRyan wrote: »
    Looks nice, I don't know too much about Polaroid, I'd know more about SLRs.

The lens looks nice on it though, I can tell you that much, Japanese made so should be sturdy, have you tried it?
    Are the blades smooth?

I wouldn't mind a nice Polaroid, there are a few companies making nice film for them now as Polaroid stopped production of the film a while back.

Lucky prick. :p
    The lens is perfect I know that much, as new. The lens are on ebay for over 200e alone.

Could you give me some names of companies that make the films. I can't find any online but would like to give it a try.

What are the blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks like one of those ancient yolks with the hand held flash :pac:. Still a cool antique camera and might produce some decent pics. There's a photography forum on here and some folks maybe able to enlighten you about it's history and use etc. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=844

• Advertisement

The lens is perfect I know that much, as new. The lens are on ebay for over 200e alone.

Could you give me some names of companies that make the films. I can't find any online but would like to give it a try.

What are the blades?

The Impossible Project are meant to be great. Worth looking at.

As sais, I'd say the photography forum might be a better bet than me. :)

The aperture blades, they should slide easily when shooting/changing the F-stop.
    If the lens is like new they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks like one of those ancient yolks with the hand held flash :pac:. Still a cool antique camera and might produce some decent pics. There's a photography forum on here and some folks maybe able to enlighten you about it's history and use etc. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=844
    I've put a thread up about it to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks Cian and Hal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seems like it takes ASA 3000 film (few flickr instances), what else it takes I have absolutely no idea though.

the ISO of that film is 3000, so really high which means outdoors it'd be very easy to blow out.

Overall the camera looks in great condition though!

Seems like it takes ASA 3000 film (few flickr instances), what else it takes I have absolutely no idea though.

the ISO of that film is 3000, so really high which means outdoors it'd be very easy to blow out.

Overall the camera looks in great condition though!

Does that mean not to use it outside?

Sorry I sound senseless about this, I have no knowledge of photography. Literally none. Other than being a fancy ornament I have no interest in it. Mind you, I'd like to take a picture with it before I fleabay it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Does that mean not to use it outside?

Sorry I sound senseless about this, I have no knowledge of photography. Literally none. Other than being a fancy ornament I have no interest in it. Mind you, I'd like to take a picture with it before I fleabay it

Well... it does and it doesnt :P You'd need a little bit of photography knowledge to figure out a proper exposure with it, there's no automatic mode on these lad! :p

I reckon it'd probably be quite hard to get a proper exposure with that outside without using an ND filter.... I'm sure there's other film that could be better for outside though. That stuff would be good for inside when it's dark though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

using an ND filter

What does that do? We all know a dgt filter makes everything blurry but I haven't seen what an ND one does :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd love some BBS LM reps for my motor...just need some cash first :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd love some BBS LM reps for my motor...just need some cash first :P

Nooooooooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nooooooooooooo!

Hahaha, not a fan of MV1's or MV2's!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement