Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Only people to blame are the government though

True to an extent.
    166man wrote: »
    People buy high MPG cars and all this ''diesel bull****'' because they might need that car. Not everyone is a car enthusiast and just want the cheapest most economical car available to them.

Not everyone who bought a diesel over the last 4 years bought it for cheap tax too.

I'm a huge petrol fan but there are some cars where the diesel is actually a nicer engine. Take a Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCI and a 2.0 petrol. I'd assume the diesel is the nicer of the two to drive with more power and torque while giving far superior fuel economy. It's a no brainer if doing a higher mileage.

Ya petrol fanboi ya...:pac:

Only reason I'd buy a diesel is if I was doing 500 miles a week plus to be honest, now some weeks I drive 600 miles due to work, but get mileage on that.

Diesels just aren't the same when it comes to driving pleasure, and I've had both. Diesels are real workhorses, petrol are more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

But with that said, the CC tax rates are a total and utter joke! To tax my car is €1390 per year, in the UK it's around £255 per year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Unless we make a good move to target motor taxes then we needn't compare ourselves to countries with lower rates.
    The government aren't gonna read Boards and decide the cut taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CianRyan wrote: »
    Did they hold a gun to your head and force you to buy a dirt burner? Even if it is faster than my "twin cam" petrol. :p

I like driving, and I do a fair bit of driving, and having a petrol with shíte MPG (eg. 4500+ in fuel a year) just isn't an option for me. It's grand for MM who drives about 5 miles a week and a single tank does him half a year. :pac:

As for comparing it to an almera (which I had before), its much faster, drives better, is more comfortable, handles much better, and is better in just about every way. And the bonus is it's not drinking fuel like the almera was. :p

.......To tax my car is €1390 per year, in the UK it's around £255 per year :rolleyes:

... to buy the car in the UK would be much more expensive though I would think :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But with that said, the CC tax rates are a total and utter joke! To tax my car is €1390 per year, in the UK it's around £255 per year :rolleyes:

Yep the discrepancy pre 2008 is unreal
    I like driving, and I do a fair bit of driving, and having a petrol with shíte MPG (eg. 4500+ in fuel a year) just isn't an option for me. It's grand for MM who drives about 5 miles a week and a single tank does him half a year. :pac:

As for comparing it to an almera (which I had before), its much faster, drives better, is more comfortable, handles much better, and is better in just about every way. And the bonus is it's not drinking fuel like the almera was. :p

I'd be the same I used do 500 miles a week commuting and had a diesel purely for economy

I may find myself in that position again and without doubt the gtv would go and be replaced with a diesel

What do you drive btw?

Ah I know. I'm only poking fun really.
    It's the likes of my mother and sister who were looking at diesels and only do about 50-70 miles a week if even that needed a boot in the right direction.

Bloody Almera, who knew a 1.4l hatch could drink fuel like that.
    Climbing towards Sally Gap I can actually see the needle go down!
    To be fair it gives some back once I head down again, just not enough! Haha

And yes I know it's just the fuel sensor in the front of the tank.

Stheno wrote: »

What do you drive btw?
    05 e46 320cd

Club diesel, my god. :pac:

No.... club OCD

GK5Ua.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

****ing diesel rocked my world last year. doing 500+ miles a week it was great, you save the cost of the higher tax back in no time. big comfy auld car. diesel has its purpose.

do about 200 miles a week now in my 1.3 turbo petrol, and i love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

can imagine some prick in a 1.4 golf cranking that up to 4, dropping down around 2 gears and trying to overtake on a motorway incline.

Ordered one, gonna mod it to go up to eleven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just in the door, this chocolate cake I've just found on the table is YUMMMMMMMMMMY :D

Oooh sweets too! :D

Wudn eat dat cake fi was u

There will be fireworks in the morning but for now this is delish!

My once told the whole class that he pood on his table and his date was drunk and ate it.
    We were more the fools for believing him.

dgt wrote: »
    Just in the door, this chocolate cake I've just found on the table is YUMMMMMMMMMMY :D

Oooh sweets too! :D

dont put such sweet foods on top of a belly full of beer. will not end well :pac:

Does anyone out there know of projector headlights that take H7s? Apart from a 166 (which are rubbish at best!)
    dont put such sweet foods on top of a belly full of beer. will not end well :pac:

After this glass of yop.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some pigeon bastard shat all over my left wing and mirror, good job job it just slides off the wax. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Got some nice shots out of my phone camera for once!!

IMAG0560.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This item does not fit Honda Civic 2007 MK VII [2005-2012] 1.8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

gollywog wrote: »
    Got some nice shots out of my phone camera for once!!

Looks a bit burgundy. Nice beads though :). Looked at mine earlier and the beads were frozen solid!. I washed it mid september and beads well, only using was it wet turtle wax stuff.

Gollywog, it looks like drops of blood on your car rather than water :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Gollywog, it looks like drops of blood on your car rather than water :P

well yes it is blood really, im an assassin by trade. The recession is killing my business though, pardon the pun!! :D

gollywog wrote: »
    well yes it is blood really, im an assassin by trade. The recession is killing my business though, pardon the pun!! :D

Ah right, I thought it was just your "zeit der monat" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Wha?Only 5th? :(

Does little 'oh yeah dance' :D:pac:
    Stheno wrote: »
    Two alfas in the top three :D
    !
    :cool:

If he can get 15 quid for a resistor and a pot, there are even more idiots in the world than I suspected!

Id recomend this also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-FUEL-SAVER-SAVE-15-25-PETROL-DIESEL-LPG-12000gauss-/130777680725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e72f50b55

:P

And for all of ye that are on the anti daysul vibe at the moment......
    Bite me;)
    Some of us can have fun without worrying about the 'OPEC's gonna ride me' dial on the dash :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Does anyone out there know of projector headlights that take H7s? Apart from a 166 (which are rubbish at best!)

After this glass of yop.... :p

Late old model saab 95

St
    pred racer wrote: »

And for all of ye that are on the anti daysul vibe at the moment......
    Bite me;)
    Some of us can have fun without worrying about the 'OPEC's gonna ride me' dial on the dash :rolleyes:

..... Think you missed the point being made tbh, very little fun to be had most diesels compared to the high performance petrol stuff mm was referring to, only total diesel fanboys would disagree.

• Advertisement

That's like an Internet pimp slap!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement