Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Did the first MPG check since changing the thermostat

Up from 41.3 to 48 :eek: :D
    Had a big day planned with the DA and it's fockin raining of course!
    Need the thermostat replaced on the beemer too, next job!

Them German yokes, sure there's always something wrong with them:D

Now if ya had a nice Italian yoke..........ud be sorted:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

pred racer wrote: »
    Them German yokes, sure there's always something wrong with them:D

Now if ya had a nice Italian yoke..........ud be sorted:pac:

Well micksgarage wants €155 for one, so naturally I ordered from c3 in the UK for €50 for same brand :rolleyes:

......... it's fockin raining of course!.........

Wasn't expecting the rain at all tbh.
    Plenty of it too, horrible.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting the rain at all tbh.
    Plenty of it too, horrible.

Its sunny in Paris:) but its bloody freezin!

Ah yes a parisienne spring..... Cold here too, not too cold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sunny in Dublin as well. Just strolled through the city centre. Wind is cold though, not nice when you turn a corner into it. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Need the thermostat replaced on the beemer too, next job!

That'll more than likely be the dear one.... CM will get that reference!

Also, it's fairly wild up here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's grand, feel at home in it now, alters the driving experience hugely, not the thing to be going too quickly in at all at all. Despite that it feels planted enough in its own right. It's basic enough spec wise, no climate control, no auto wipers, no parking sensors but it has a bit of character or something that's growing on me, haven't seen another one since I bought it, I like that :)

And you're not too concerned about the electrical horror stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

pred racer wrote: »
    Its sunny in Paris:) but its bloody freezin!

It's sunny AND warm in Arles. Easter Sunday seems to be the beginning of the bull teasing (as opposed to fighting) season. 1300 miles done and about 1700 to go before I finish this trip.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    And you're not too concerned about the electrical horror stories?

Nope.

Not at all.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Not at all.

Fair enough.

I might be in the market for something like that myself shortly but have been warned off them. :(

My "logic" if you could call it that is similar to the timing belt Russian roulette on the ZT, in the case of the ZT the timing belts and pump would have cost almost half what I paid for, it, was willing to risk it.

In the case of the cherokee my logic is it cost thousands and thousands less than an X5 or Touareg of the same year, was actually cheaper than most everything really, Navara etc too. Could have gotten an Antara etc alright for similar money but they're not really comparable.

Anyway, couple what it cost with that I reckon I'll be getting rid of it in early 2015 at the latest (and I'm not overly bothered what I'll get for it) I'm willing to gamble that it'll be relatively trouble free over that timescale, if it backfires it backfires :)

I know a very very very decent auto spark too :)

Engine wise they're solid enough, swirl motors can be sorted easily, DPF is a DPF, nothing major to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's lashing down here, got some nice beading going on though :)

My "logic" if you could call it that is similar to the timing belt Russian roulette on the ZT, in the case of the ZT the timing belts and pump would have cost almost half what I paid for, it, was willing to risk it.

In the case of the cherokee my logic is it cost thousands and thousands less than an X5 or Touareg of the same year, was actually cheaper than most everything really, Navara etc too. Could have gotten an Antara etc alright for similar money but they're not really comparable.

Anyway, couple what it cost with that I reckon I'll be getting rid of it in early 2015 at the latest (and I'm not overly bothered what I'll get for it) I'm willing to gamble that it'll be relatively trouble free over that timescale, if it backfires it backfires :)

I know a very very very decent auto spark too :)

Engine wise they're solid enough, swirl motors can be sorted easily, DPF is a DPF, nothing major to worry about.

That's kinda the dilemma I'm in. Jeep for small money or an X5 for a couple grand more!

I didn't have a couple of grand more and didn't want finance/loan (probably wouldn't have gotten it either).

I really like X5s but there's so many of them out there that are in bits (5 year old + commercials), especially ones that were in my price range (2005s/2006s). Don't fancy them on 17s either as there are so many ones rolling around on nicer wheels.

The back of an X5 looks almost as bad as the back of the cherokee too imo.

Discos, forgot to mention them too, very expensive as well in 08s and a lot of them have actually done work. Not overly lively in auto form either, wouldn't bother with a manual in a 4x4 yoke of that size.

Do you usually get a months grace with motor tax? it expires tonight but id rather wait to pay the full year til i sell the astra and get some funds in. but if i have to pay ill pay

Do you usually get a months grace with motor tax?........

Most (if not all imo) Gardai will be fine, especially with a car new to you.

Traffic wardens are a different story so I'd avoid on street parking in town or Douglas etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Do you usually get a months grace with motor tax? it expires tonight but id rather wait to pay the full year til i sell the astra and get some funds in. but if i have to pay ill pay

My tax has been out since February. It said on my renewal form that I had until the end of March to pay it which I did and I'm now waiting on my disc.

Like RJ said, that Gardai would be lenient as long as you're not taking the piss but traffic wardens would more than likely give you a fine there and then. I know from experience because in 2005, I was parked up on grand parade and my tax was only out a few weeks (within the same month) and I got a fine for it.

EDIT: Keep in mind that when you tax it at the end of the following month, your new year's tax only goes to the date the tax was out, you don't get a month free ;)

You can use the form online after the first month the tax is out too, arrears for the month you went beyond :)

Thanks guys, i think i might as well just pay it. feck paying it in 3 months or 6 months installments anyway, wouldnt give them the extra 120quid or whatever no way

• Advertisement

Are you getting much interest in the astra?

sfa tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

sfa tbh

Pity, if I was working now I would probably snap it up.

Seems to be the same story with everyone tbh honest man if if if if. No one has money. Its a car for a younger person and they spend whatever they have on drink for the most part.
    Id say the guy who i bought the Beemer off couldnt believe his luck. How many 21 year olds just happen to be looking for a well maintained 2.5 lt petrol 5days after he puts it up for sale and buys it a week later!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's always if, there was a turbo MX5 for sale for ages, I was hoping it'd still be around when I had the money but the guy decided to keep it.

No one has money these days.

Indeed, but I've lowered the price by 200 and would go another few hundred off it again to get it away.
    Just went for a 20minute spin, I did not behave and in this rain, the car didnt either! :D
    Couple of brown trouser moments but tunnel runs with this engine are epic.makes me wonder how good 3 v12s or some such thing sound when the top gear trio are doing it

That little yellow light in the center of your dash doing a bit of flashing dude? :)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That little yellow light in the center of your dash doing a bit of flashing dude? :)

Well....you know:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Just noticed cars tax isn't out tomorrow but on 1st may, yay for me :)

• Advertisement

Just noticed cars tax isn't out tomorrow but on 1st may, yay for me :)

Rub it in anyway ya bollocks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement