Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Rub it in anyway ya bollocks :)

I'm good for another year too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'm good for another year too :D

Yeah but you didn't even get any lube with your ~€1,500 :P

Don't think you'll get any either with your 1080 :pac:

Yes but in true aryan style I am prepared, i used my leftover money to buy some for the occasion.:D

Yes but in true aryan style I am prepared, i used my leftover money to buy some for the occasion.:D

Thinly veiled "I've got money so I can buy what I want" post :D

• Advertisement

Thinly veiled "I've got money so I can buy what I want" post :D

Well....I do have 2cars like :pac:
    But no, I bought this stuff in the €1 store :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Is it 1080 for a 2.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems to be the same story with everyone tbh honest man if if if if. No one has money. Its a car for a younger person and they spend whatever they have on drink for the most part.
    Id say the guy who i bought the Beemer off couldnt believe his luck. How many 21 year olds just happen to be looking for a well maintained 2.5 lt petrol 5days after he puts it up for sale and buys it a week later!

How did you fair out with insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems to be the same story with everyone tbh honest man if if if if. No one has money. Its a car for a younger person and they spend whatever they have on drink for the most part.
    Id say the guy who i bought the Beemer off couldnt believe his luck. How many 21 year olds just happen to be looking for a well maintained 2.5 lt petrol 5days after he puts it up for sale and buys it a week later!

How did you fair out with insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Yeah the free lube should be awarded when paying such mad road tax, €1494 was nasty but to add the 3/400 in November yuk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

My tax and insurance together (which I have to pay when I get home...ouch) is less than either of them;)

And I dont have to be seen in a cockmobile, fanboiwagon, Insert other rude name for bmw beemer either:pac:

It could be worse lads...........imagine paying to tax a silver one:D

@pred, that was a brilliant dig, harsh but brilliant!
    Insurance for the 325 was 120€ more than the Astra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just did an online quote with the broker that I use. Quote for me putting my correct birthday in was in and around 1000. Now I'll be 25 in August, but renewal is in June. If I change my details to make it so Im 25 now, my quote drops to 800. What a joke. Wonder what'll happen come renewal.

ehem, ill just leave this here...

644591_555698187794212_766467631_n.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well....I do have 2cars like :pac:
    But no, I bought this stuff in the €1 store :eek:
    Buying such stuff in the euro store is not a good idea
    ehem, ill just leave this here...

]

Jesus the mpg on the alfa is better!

Thoroughly sick of work (after two weeks).

Might get to spend some of tomorrow on such mundane tasks as shopping and cleaning as opposed to working.

In car news, the alfa is stuttering when going from the clutch depressed to fully undepressed, it's like a series of stutters halfway up the clutch, mainly in 1st and 2nd gear.

Am I right in thinking the clutch might be on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

@ Stheno, It could be contamination on the clutch, most lightly oil that leaked through a seal onto the clutch surface. The same thing happened to my friends 145 it is annoying but no real harm. The clutch might start to slip from it eventually though. Saying that his has been like that for at least 2 years and hasn't got any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Stheno wrote: »

Am I right in thinking the clutch might be on the way out?

Yes, springs are going weak

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

30% off all Castrol oils in Halfords in case it hasn't been mentioned. Gonna pick up 12L in Newry tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hope thats still goin need 8l of Castrol Edge

• Advertisement

30% off all Castrol oils in Halfords in case it hasn't been mentioned. Gonna pick up 12L in Newry tomorrow.

I may bump into you there so, I won't be buying any oil though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

good to see people still spending their hard earned outside the state :)

I'm not going up for the oil, I need wood from B&Q because Woodies in Dundalk is a joke by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i'l agree woodies just isn't great for most stuff. its a bit like the halfords of the construction world.

I'm not going up for the oil, I need wood from B&Q because Woodies in Dundalk is a joke by comparison.

Fook me we have a lot more in common than I thought.... Next thing you'll be telling us you have to get bits and bobs out in Beatties yard, coal from Mackins, paint from Giv-ran, tools from P&R, OEM stuff from David Prentice, shopping in Sainsburys (or Asda if beside David Prentice) and quick food from Clarkes station :pac:

41 quid for 4l of Castrol Edge 0W40 still steep but feck it i need it, also while browsing this caught my eye seems like a decent price if the bluetooth is legitimate +USB/AUX in would be awesome.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_868945_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

dgt wrote: »
    Fook me we have a lot more in common than I thought.... Next thing you'll be telling us you have to get bits and bobs out in Beatties yard, coal from Mackins, paint from Giv-ran, tools from P&R, OEM stuff from David Prentice, shopping in Sainsburys (or Asda if beside David Prentice) and quick food from Clarkes station :pac:

Nail on the head with Prentice, Asda and Clarkes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

41 quid for 4l of Castrol Edge 0W40 still steep but feck it i need it, also while browsing this caught my eye seems like a decent price if the bluetooth is legitimate +USB/AUX in would be awesome.
    EUR43 for 5litres for Mobil 1 0w40 New Life is better value and a better oil. I dont understand the love Castrol get on Irish forums, while pretty good, its Superquinn to Marks and Spencers.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_241643_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

That offer ends tomorrow and you can use it with the 10% off Group Scheme voucher that everyone has (except newbs) or possibly with the Axa 15% off (though I think this one is more likely to be rejected as its T&Cs dont like discount stacking I think).

PS: 0w, 5w and 10w ("cold start" ratings only) all have the same viscosity at our rather warm "cold" temp climate and are therefore interchangeable.

Im just buying what other people have bought in the users forum tbh, if it works im happy to stick with it + need 6.5 litres so regardless will need 2 jugs, anyone got any opinions on that stereo btw, im sorely templted if the bluetooth is what it seems to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im just buying what other people have bought in the users forum tbh, if it works im happy to stick with it + need 6.5 litres so regardless will need 2 jugs,
    Thats sound annoyingly familar from other ST heads I know of! Edge and Edge Sport are different oils (frequently mixed up on Forums, originally the non-Sport was better) but here is how Edge Sport and M1 New Life compare, relevant/useful better spec in bold and yeah, Castrol has no better spec unless you value hippy emissions crap at the cost of engine wear.

Mobil 1 0w40 NEW LIFE:

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
    @ 40º C 78
    @ 100º C 14
    Viscosity Index 186
    HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
    Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
    Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85
    Total Base Number, TBN ASTM D2896 mg KOH/g 11.3
    Sulfated Ash, wt%, 1.2
    Phosphorous 0.1%

Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
    @ 40º C 75.7
    @ 100º C 12.8
    Viscosity Index 171
    HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.6
    Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 244
    Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.838
    Total Base Number, TBN ASTM D2896 mg KOH/g 6.6
    Sulfated Ash, wt%, 0.73
    Phosphorous 0 (?)

I hadnt compared the 0w40s before, I usually make the argument comparing 10w60, but man the Castrol 0w40 is even worse than their much vaunted BMW "M Spec" 10w60.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement