Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

gollywog. i was very much asleep this morning, sorry :(

brain was thinking "i recognise that face, but from where"... "oh god he knows my name"...

then you walked away and i realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

RoverJames wrote: »
    St

..... Think you missed the point being made tbh, very little fun to be had most diesels compared to the high performance petrol stuff mm was referring to, only total diesel fanboys would disagree.

No, I got it mate, but some of us have to cut our cloth to fit our measure.
    I have a post 08 diesel:eek: and according to alot of posts on here Im an idiot or a sheep (im inferring this by what gets said about others). I couldnt run most of the nice cars here however much I might want to, there is a level of 'Ive got a huge petrol engine that drinks fuel' snobbery going on and its beginning to piss me off. I have alot of fun In my car, mostly at the expense of cars alot more powerful than mine (none of it in a straight line however;) )
    Rant over, sorry:o

Btw RJ this is not directed at you(or any particular poster for that matter) I just happen to be replying to your post.

Thats it I'm off 'Hypermiling' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

pred racer wrote: »
    No, I got it mate, but some of us have to cut our cloth to fit our measure.
    I have a post 08 diesel:eek: and according to alot of posts on here Im an idiot or a sheep (im inferring this by what gets said about others). I couldnt run most of the nice cars here however much I might want to, there is a level of 'Ive got a huge petrol engine that drinks fuel' snobbery going on and its beginning to piss me off. I have alot of fun In my car, mostly at the expense of cars alot more powerful than mine (none of it in a straight line however;) )
    Rant over, sorry:o

Btw RJ this is not directed at you(or any particular poster for that matter) I just happen to be replying to your post.

Thats it I'm off 'Hypermiling' :p

This brings up another point I made a while back about the diesel vs petrol argument. Taking the 159 as an example. The best engine in the range for a mix of cost vs fun is the engine in Pred's 159. In Ireland it just makes sense.

The 1.8 petrols might cost way less to buy and they don't sound like a tractor but they are a sh1t engine.

So even if I was only doing 10k km a year, I'd have a diesel one because it might be more expensive technically, but it's a far nicer car.

Also, those that say, you can't have fun driving a diesel are just being plain silly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OK lads, cool it! My point was supposed to be about how the government has basically forced people into buying the CO2 based diesel cars. It didn't really have much to do with the CC based cars but I may have not made it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

gollywog. i was very much asleep this morning, sorry :(

brain was thinking "i recognise that face, but from where"... "oh god he knows my name"...

then you walked away and i realised!

Its ok man!! i didnt hang around, didnt wanna freak ya out lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

OK lads, cool it! My point was supposed to be about how the government has basically forced people into buying the CO2 based diesel cars. It didn't really have much to do with the CC based cars but I may have not made it clear.

They haven't really. At the time when CO2 based systems were brought in, most cars had poor figures.

Manufacturer's reacted to that on a European wide basis and in actual fact it was the manufacturer's who brought many cars into bands a and b so it could be argued that it was the manufacturer's who forced people into buying them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Late old model saab 95

Cheers! H7 projectors seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo...

The yard I go to might have one broke up, I guess I may spend a day trawling around though if they don't! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Cheers! H7 projectors seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo...

The yard I go to might have one broke up, I guess I may spend a day trawling around though if they don't! :)

You can buy projector units that fit in the headlight AFAIK

If you're going butchering, why limit yourself to one bulb size?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Insurance expires on Jan 3rd with 123, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go elsewhere. Currently pricing around.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern with regards penalty points across the brokers. Some will simply not quote/insure you if there is over 4, and others (AXA - which I have just tried) don't even ask how many you have! Bizarre!

I've been with 123 for 4 years now, and luckily haven't had to change too many details over the years. Leaving largely due to the ridiculous admin charge. If in a given year (all of which could easily happen), you get a different car, change address and get penalty points, you have to pay them €120 for them to add this to your account on the different occasions they occur!

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That €40 fee for info change is seriously taking the piss IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fizman wrote: »
    Insurance expires on Jan 3rd with 123, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go elsewhere. Currently pricing around.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern with regards penalty points across the brokers. Some will simply not quote/insure you if there is over 4, and others (AXA - which I have just tried) don't even ask how many you have! Bizarre!

I've been with 123 for 4 years now, and luckily haven't had to change too many details over the years. Leaving largely due to the ridiculous admin charge. If in a given year (all of which could easily happen), you get a different car, change address and get penalty points, you have to pay them €120 for them to add this to your account on the different occasions they occur!

No thanks.

How many penalty points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can buy projector units that fit in the headlight AFAIK

If you're going butchering, why limit yourself to one bulb size?

I'd prefer not to go down that route, that'd be costly....

I have H1's from an E34 where the lamp itself is destroyed that I can butcher but would require the bulbs and ballasts from my van. I want to use H7's in case the lights turn out crappy, I can stick them in the Alfa instead :) plus the HID kit I can get is £100 in H7 guise. Bi Xenons would be to much effort to try install I thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was driving the mothers Mazda 3 tonight, I heard the Mazda 6 were supposed to have poor light but they are shocking on the 3! I'm 99% sure they take a h7 dipped bulb but if anyone could confirm please? And also whether they use a canbus system or not.

..... I'm 99% sure they take a h7 dipped bulb.........

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dealer not giving warranty posts moved HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

in regards to I insurance admin charges.

when I changed my address from Dublin to Louth the insurance company had Louth down as higher risk and wanted €180 to change address etc.

asked can they do something with that.

got a call the next day.... fee waived

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Drink driving Texan gets life in prison

Surprised he wasn't executed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

How many penalty points?

>4 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dartz wrote: »

He can't drink and drive in prison.
    AFAIK, even in Texas, the death penalty is still rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Was driving the mothers Mazda 3 tonight, I heard the Mazda 6 were supposed to have poor light but they are shocking on the 3! I'm 99% sure they take a h7 dipped bulb but if anyone could confirm please? And also whether they use a canbus system or not.

They are H7 bulbs and they are muck, I've tired different bulbs and while the like of night breakers do work a bit better I could t be arsed spending all that money to replace the bulbs about once a month.

As for the canbus system I've no idea.

• Advertisement

I'll be getting a set of 4300k hids, just can't find a definite answer online if I need to get a canbus set or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Dartz wrote: »

When I lived in Arizona (97-98) there was a guy in new york who was ordered by a judge to sell his house and move beside a pub, after being caught DUI 27 times:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I'll be getting a set of 4300k hids, just can't find a definite answer online if I need to get a canbus set or not

Will hids pass the nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

^^
    Hid's not passing the nct, why I never really investigated putting them in, have you checked out mazda3forums.co.uk?
    You need to have headlight washers installed correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

coolisin wrote: »
    ^^
    Hid's not passing the nct, why I never really investigated putting them in, have you checked out mazda3forums.co.uk?
    You need to have headlight washers installed correct?

Only need the washers if they were installed from factory spec AFAIK. Well that's the way it is in the UK, but I think that was mirrored here.

Of course someone that knows for sure will probably chime in with a definitive answer. :)

I'd just take them back out for the nct. It's a good question though, has anyone here had a car with aftermarket hids in projector headlights and passed with auto levellers and headlight washers?

Also, liberty are refusing to quote me on any of the cars I have in mind even a 325ci which I got a quote online for a month back no problems. I don't want to cancel or I'll lose my years ncb so looks like I'll be holding onto the Astra til April anyway!
    Just booked the nct for it too for 12th December.

HIDs and Xenons have to have washers full stop AFAIK because it there's snow on the headlights, the light will come out arseways and potentially blind on-coming drivers.

Great, bumper off job to get mine out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fizman wrote: »
    >4 :o

Bahahaha, ya kept that quiet. :p
    HIDs and Xenons have to have washers full stop AFAIK because it there's snow on the headlights, the light will come out arseways and potentially blind on-coming drivers.

Unless they came without them obviously from factory, such as jap imports.etc

• Advertisement

Unless they came without them obviously from factory, such as jap imports.etc

True but all cars that are built and are destined for the EU market have to have headlight washers if the lights are HID or Xenons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement